Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
They didn't lok that big to me. Were did it say they were 130 cause I don;t believie it! Byrons 90 something and they look about his size.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hmmm... Wonder if they do any health testing and if their dogs are titled in anything.... I'd imagine they'd list this on their page if they did.

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
joce said:
They didn't lok that big to me. Were did it say they were 130 cause I don;t believie it!
Good eye , they didnt. crxman321 must have read about this breeder http://www.pets4you.com/pages/meneely.html? there who clearly says:

We raise primarily standard size dogs but do have a limited number of oversize dogs such as our Sire "Brutus" who is 29 1/2" tall and tips the scales at over 130 lbs.
I think crxman321 just got the 2 sites mixed up.

So it seem the site that was originally posted does not make mention of a specific size but does say:

All our dogs are bred for good health and disposition. We raise standard and oversize.
So either way both sites clearly say they raise oversize litters.

TD

·
Registered
460 Posts
From the other site:
Prices start at $350 for weaned puppies with tails docked, dew claws removed and up-to-date shots, as companion dogs with limited registration that are picked up at our home. We also offer started puppies same as above and with ears cropped, housebroken, started on lead and responding to basic commands, such as come, sit, drop for $700.
So you pay an extra 350 dollars just for cropped ears and a little training? :rolleyesw

·
Registered
460 Posts
TomAndKing said:
$200 for crop, $100 for retaping and meds(pain and or antibioctic), $100 for training class. You are saving money, and time by paying that extra $350.
I don't see how you'd be saving time and money. The puppy will need more training than what the breeder might be trying to teach so you're not avoiding training classes. Besides, classes are more about teaching the owner rather than the dog so charging more for teaching the puppy to sit is absurd, IMO.

Even with the ears cropped, if they don't do health screening 750 dollars is a lot, seeing as it's just going into their pockets.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Not impressed with that "Lady" at all.... Don't know if she is standing downhill, or her front end just runs downhill.

Either way, I say no way.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Non registered, non tested dogs go for $750cdn. all the dogs come with is the first shots, tail docked, and dew claws done.
I guess you get what you pay for then hmm? ;)

Not impressed with that "Lady" at all.... Don't know if she is standing downhill, or her front end just runs downhill.
Brian, being the funny guy that he is, saw 'Lady' and said 'Hey look she looks just like Ava!' He's lucky I didn't hit him harder than I did. lol

·
Extraordimary
4,927 Posts
TomAndKing said:
I think they are gorgeous dogs. If the lines are clean, i would definatly buy a dog from them. King is 29" at the shoulders, 76 pounds. Ruby on that page looks awesome. such a beautiful dog.
I'm at a loss as to why you'd make a purchase based on that page. Ruby doesn't look too bad but how would one even know if she's their dog? They could have scanned the pic from a book/magazine for all anyone knows. Wouldn't be the first "breeder" to use "borrowed" photos. The bitch named Sasha is just awful from a conformational standpoint. If they did, in fact, produce both Ruby and Sasha - well, let's just say there is a huge amount of inconsistency in their breedings.

·
Registered
742 Posts
MaryAndDobes said:
I'm at a loss as to why you'd make a purchase based on that page. Ruby doesn't look too bad but how would one even know if she's their dog? They could have scanned the pic from a book/magazine for all anyone knows. Wouldn't be the first "breeder" to use "borrowed" photos. The bitch named Sasha is just awful from a conformational standpoint. If they did, in fact, produce both Ruby and Sasha - well, let's just say there is a huge amount of inconsistency in their breedings.
Where did i say i would make a purchase based on that page? i said, "If the lines are clean, i would definatly buy a dog from them.". that means if i looked into the dogs, made sure they are healthy, and made sure their lines dont carry any health problems, i would buy.

·
Registered
460 Posts
exactly my point. $750 isnt all that expensive.
I think maybe you misunderstood what I originally meant by 750 dollars being expensive. I think for that particular breeder, to charge 750 for their dogs with just the few things the pups come with, that's expensive. They obviously didn't put much into their breeding program and to ask for that amount in return is a rip off. Not that it really matters to them, it's all about profit anyhow.

·
Super Moderator
15,371 Posts
$750 is outrageous for a newspaper quality dog from a puppy producer. this person is not a breeder-- but a puppy producer. dogs should not be bred to sell the pups PERIOD, they should be bred to further the breed (maintain and sculpt apearance and temperment to exemplify the standard) those dogs are hideous.

·
Extraordimary
4,927 Posts
TomAndKing said:
i said, "If the lines are clean, i would definatly buy a dog from them.". that means if i looked into the dogs, made sure they are healthy, and made sure their lines dont carry any health problems, i would buy.
I don't mean to pick on you, but is that it?

First of all, ALL lines carry health problems. The best we can do is purchase from people who actively test for the problems and actively share the results and who study pedigrees extensively to uncover problems and, again, share the research with prospective buyers.

But there's more to a dog than health. What about conformation? What about temperament? What about working ability? Longevity? There's more to check on than health.

And hopefully there's more to the breeder than breeding. Personally, I think it's important to support breeders that are doing something for my breed beyond breeding. Things like supporting rescue, fighting breed specific legislation, displaying the breed in a positive light within their community, helping out with local dog club activities, showing in conformation, obedience, etc.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts