Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I noticed these spots on our boy a few weeks ago, back then they were scabby and had pus underneath them. He has one on his back between his shoulder blades as well (sorry no picture). That was the first one I had noticed. Took him to the vet thinking maybe he had gotten bit by a spider (we have many of those around here). They had no clue what it was, they thought it may have been ringworm.

We got him on antibiotics and it started to dry up. A week after the one on his back was noticed, we noticed the ones on his arm (in photo), they too were scabby with pus, took him back AGAIN to the vet.. still no idea.. got a second opinion from the more "experienced" vet and she said it may be from the surgical lamps when he got his ears done, saying it could possibly be burns (keep in mind they didn't look like this when he went to the vet). Got him more antibiotics and was prescribed burn cream to put on it, the cream helped a little with making the one on his back a little smaller but didn't make them go away.

As you can see now they are completely "healed" (no scabs or pus) but they are scarred. Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this or what it possibly is? Has anyone ever had this problem with their dobe before? We of course love him no matter what he looks like but would like to know what it could be?

If anyone has any idea, please let me know and what I can do about/for it. Thanks so much for the help.

Attachments

• Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    138.3 KB Views: 337

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Hi,

I don't know what those areas are from but they do almost look like burns.

You might ask your vet about a product called Veterinus Derma Gel. I love this gel (also comes in spray) for cuts and wounds on my dogs. It helps their hair grow back and grow back the correct color.

My black horse had a large circular cut on his leg that should have been stitched but was not (happened at the barn the day I was to drive back over 600 miles with him). My local vet brought me a spray bottle of Veterinus and that's all he wanted me to use from the raw wound stage thru the hair growth stage. The wound healed nicely and the hair grew back rapidly and was black. I use it on my dogs for all their cuts and scraps.

Be sure to clear this with your vet. Here's a link.

Amazon.com: Veterinus Derma Gel 100ml (3.4 fl.oz): Pet Supplies

Reactions: LindaH

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is strange. Have you asked his breeder if she has seen it before?
No, I actually have not asked her.. I will send her a picture along with an email tonight in hopes that she may have seen this or even possibly know what it is.
We were also thinking that maybe he had an allergic reaction to something but we can't remember a time where he has gotten into anything, but of course it could have been something as silly as rubbing up against a certain plant outside. We are thinking of getting a third opinion from a different vet clinic then our own. Would that be something to think about?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

I don't know what those areas are from but they do almost look like burns.

You might ask your vet about a product called Veterinus Derma Gel. I love this gel (also comes in spray) for cuts and wounds on my dogs. It helps their hair grow back and grow back the correct color.

Be sure to clear this with your vet. Here's a link.

Amazon.com: Veterinus Derma Gel 100ml (3.4 fl.oz): Pet Supplies
That would be great! I will definitely ask him about it. I would hate to see him grow up with scars like that but like I said we would love him no matter what he looked like :).. Thanks for the help!

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
They do look like some sort of burn, at least in that pic... and the scattered nature of them almost looks like some sort of chemical might have been spilled on him. The most important thing is to keep them clean and moist, so the new tissue is healthy... once the sites are satisfactorily healed, you might consider putting emu oil, vitamin e oil and pure aloe vera juice on to help avoid scarring any encourage hair regrowth. Antioxidant vitamins also are good for proper healing (these include the oil-soluble vites like a and e, c and zinc for wound repair... usually available as a combo). Good luck for 100% healing!

·
Crazy Dobe
51 Posts
My husband and I noticed these spots on our boy a few weeks ago, back then they were scabby and had pus underneath them. He has one on his back between his shoulder blades as well (sorry no picture). That was the first one I had noticed. Took him to the vet thinking maybe he had gotten bit by a spider (we have many of those around here). They had no clue what it was, they thought it may have been ringworm.

We got him on antibiotics and it started to dry up. A week after the one on his back was noticed, we noticed the ones on his arm (in photo), they too were scabby with pus, took him back AGAIN to the vet.. still no idea.. got a second opinion from the more "experienced" vet and she said it may be from the surgical lamps when he got his ears done, saying it could possibly be burns (keep in mind they didn't look like this when he went to the vet). Got him more antibiotics and was prescribed burn cream to put on it, the cream helped a little with making the one on his back a little smaller but didn't make them go away.

As you can see now they are completely "healed" (no scabs or pus) but they are scarred. Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this or what it possibly is? Has anyone ever had this problem with their dobe before? We of course love him no matter what he looks like but would like to know what it could be?

If anyone has any idea, please let me know and what I can do about/for it. Thanks so much for the help.
Im not 100% or keen with what im about to say but because i saw 2 dobermans like this last month with the exact same type of scab they were both diagnosed with serosis i hope this is not your case but look in to it best of luck :)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Im not 100% or keen with what im about to say but because i saw 2 dobermans like this last month with the exact same type of scab they were both diagnosed with serosis i hope this is not your case but look in to it best of luck :)
What is serosis?

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I think it is supposed to be Psoriasis. It does look like that could be the problem. In dogs generally start out as little scabs, then the pink area followed by silvery scales.

Reactions: LindaH

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I agree, they look like burns.

My eyes may be playing tricks on me, but they look like the letters E, N, and R. Has your pup been left alone in a yard or somewhere out in public?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I think that looks quite a lot like Psoriasis as well. My cousin has it and it new places will start out scabby and icky and then look like healing burns before getting silvery scaling on them. Perhaps call the vet and ask if they think it's possible?

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Biopsy. They can at that time to a fungal stain and check for any parasites that are under the skin.

Sometimes it is cheaper and easier to just cut to the chase and do the biopsy. Treating without knowing what you're treating for can waste time and even make things worse.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts