Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive always had, raised and trained rottweilers. I know that they're some differences between the rott and dobe. Anyone who had a rott can you please chime in. Through reading they have a lot of similarities ie. intelligence, tempermant etc. I guess I'll never know the difference unless I own one. Because of my past rott experiences, rott is where the heart is at but would like to own a doberman. Through my readings, I love what the breed has to offer and I'm eager to find out for my self.

I have no doubt in my ability to train a dobe. Both of my rotts, I can walk them anywhere off leash and they wont run off and will stay by my side until they are told "free" regardless of other animals or the occasion deers in the field we see. No, biting or nipping at the fingers when giving treats, no jumping etc. Any input would be greatly apperciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had a male Rott mix as a teenager(half rott half pit). Smartest dog I ever had. He was a junkyard dog my brother saved that was living in poor conditions. I have to say in training a Dobe they are in fact very similar in my opinion. They both have great loyalty, recall and are easily trained. My Rott ("Q") passed away 4 years ago(he lived to be 13). My Dobe is the closest dog intelligence wise and temperment to my Rott. I currently have a Greyhound and Husky mix which were nothing like my Rottie. I would add that I feel my Dobe is slightly more clingy than my Rott was. Since you have owned a Rott you will not be dissapointed if you get a Doberman. My Dobe does not jump or nip when getting treats or attention she is very focused and calm in her actions.
There are plenty of resources here on DT to find a reputable breeder and get an excellent puppy or even a rescue. Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot and it was helpful :) The more and more I go on DT, the more and more I want a dobe lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same-Sex Aggression in Rotts?

Hey, I also grew up with a Rottie, an amazing female who lived till she was 12! She was beautiful, loyal, and very independant. A little headstrong, but hey.
I don't have a dobe yet, looking into the breed as well, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about same-sex aggression with Rottie's? Our girl was very good with other dogs, but I'm wondering about a male.

Boyfriend wants a male Dobe, but the males are very male-aggressive, so I was thinking about getting a female dobe and a male rottweiler to bypass the problem? Except that I cant find anywhere that says anything about Rotties having same-sex aggression!

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I dunno, I've never lived with a Rott, but been around a ton of them, babysat them, etc.

I think they are a whole different energy and mindset than a Doberman, myself.

Obviously, my own choice of the two is the Doberman, but that might not be the right fit for you, and I wouldn't necessarily assume because you love Rotts that you'll love a Doberman.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Carlin D- almost any dogs can have same sex aggression in a household. It's always easier to go male/ female but there are always exceptions. That said I have 2 female dogs and 1 male. My female Dobe (submissive), female Greyhound(Dominant/Alpha) and Male Husky mix(submissive). The Greyhound in particular was returned to the rescue I got her from by a previous adopter due to same sex aggression(her and another female had some serious fights in the previous adopters home) Being that I had two submissive dogs when I wanted to adopt another Grey(my first one passed from Cancer) the rescue thought she would work out best in my home and they were right. I've never had any issues with fighting.
That said two very powerful breeds I would go male/female to have the best success.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I've never owned a Rottweiler but 3 of the 5 I've interacted with at my past job(boarding kennel) had pretty unstable temperaments in regards to humans, one being extreme. I've only encountered one ill-tempered Doberman and I have been around plenty. To me, the Doberman is much more aesthetically pleasing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Many moons ago my ex-boyfriend had rotts and I had dobes. I prefer dobes. Can't exactly describe the difference in personalities. Just found the rotts to be a little more bull headed and independent and dobes more owner oriented, hence "velcro dog". Both are very intelligent though. We had 1 male and 3 female rotts, and 1 male and 1 female dobe. Never had an issue with the males had to keep 2 of the female rotts separated at all times and had to rotate yard time. Would have killed each other. 2 breeds for having trouble with same sex aggression are the female Siberian Husky's and Rotties. This coming from several breeders of each breed and a vet who had to do some stitching. With that being said, I agree with other posters life is much easier with 1 male and 1 female.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts