Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are tons of different answers to this question but here goes...

What is the best age to spay?
Have read that it's best to wait for at least 1 heat cycle.
Have been told to wait til 18 mos.
Know some who have spayed as early as 8 weeks.

The only time I've had to make this decision was with Storm who was spayed at about 5 months. I don't know if something went wrong with her spay or if it was her age or what but after her spay she had a saggy belly for the rest of her life, no tuck at all even when she was at proper weight, looked like she had had several litters.
Obviously I don't want Chi to have a saggy belly (none of us women want a saggy anything :) but I do want to have this surgery when it is best for her...

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
6 months is the widely recommended age. A little earlier for bigger dogs, so you get them before their first heat. It was (or maybe still is, I was a tech but it was years ago, I know times change and there are new info and advances and such) beleived that a bitch's chances of mammary cancer was slightly increased by allowed them to cycle.
I know there are different opinions to this......My breeder believed after the first heat. I tend to follow the vet's opinion. Why even bother with dealing with a heat cycle if you don't have too.

·
Registered
460 Posts
There's a good article in August's(or maybe July's) issue of Whole Dog Journal about the female reproductive system. It goes into the spaying, the pros and cons a little deeper than other things I've read in the past. Pretty interesting read.

·
Banned
375 Posts
well it is suggested that you do it around 6 months before their first heat... because it is easier on them and reduces the chance for female cancer.... but... that is what i have learned i am just opinion :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts