Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone - I got 2 radically different opinions from my vet and the breeder. One said at 6 months, the other said wait till about 14 months. He is 4 months now, and already humping pillows! His "lipstick" made it's first appearance yesterday. I want to neuter him as soon as possible, but I certainly don't want to do it too soon to stunt his growth, etc. Please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Mmctaq is right, tho I always advise to wait till 18 months. The longer, the better, imo. Early neuter seems to be connected to osteosarcoma of the leg.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
If you are comfortable dealing with and being responsible for an intact male for that long, 18 months is what was suggested by my breeder and vet (who also has dobies).

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would wait as long as you can, and if you can make it to 18 months - great! 6 months is far too young in my own opinion.

I would focus on training him that pillows are off limits instead. =D

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Humping is an allowed behavior just like marking is a house training problem you should make a list in your head of what is allowed and and what is not allowed and stick to it. I have done it for years dogs like to have continuity in there lives.None of my dogs are allowed to hump anything nor lift their legs on anything in the house. Good Luck training.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Humping is an allowed behavior just like marking is a house training problem you should make a list in your head of what is allowed and and what is not allowed and stick to it. I have done it for years dogs like to have continuity in there lives.None of my dogs are allowed to hump anything nor lift their legs on anything in the house. Good Luck training.
I agree with this, Odin showed signs of humping at 10 weeks, I corrected him right away. He also tried again every once in awhile after that but corrected right away and I have no problem with him humping and he is 7 months and not fixed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts