Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just wondering. Rebel is 10 weeks and 4 days old today. I was looking at the Top Dog Academy in Greenville, NC and they like to start the pup at 12 weeks. Which is fine for me because I don't want Rebel to start until I get his postings off and get him fully-house trained.

Also, how long did it take to get your pup fully house trained? Rebel has done really good but still has an accident maybe once or twice a day(We've had him 2 weeks now). Urinating on the floor that is. I caught him the last two times and said "NO" in a stern voice and he will stop and wait until I get his leash on and say "Outside" and he will finish peeing outside. From my perspective, I think we have atleast two more weeks until I consider him "house-trained". But he does seem to understand what "Outside" means now. I can put the leash on him and say outside and he will start walking toward the door with me. He also knows now once hes done pottying he gets a treat. He will look up at me after hes done waiting for it.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I put my Mysti in classes starting at 16 weeks, they wanted her to have all her shots completed before beginning, which I feel is a good precaution since they are around alot of other dogs, and you want to make sure they are protected just in case. They also wanted her to have a current fecal exam and make sure she was parasite free.

As for house-training some dogs "get it" real fast others seem to take a little longer, Nexus trained real good, and learned within a week, Bella took months to teach and we finally ended up training her with a bell because she is so quiet.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I started puppy class with my guys at 12 weeks. You don't need to wait to have his post off, you most likely be doing his ears for a few months. An then potty training I wouldn't worry about if he has an accident clean it up. ( puppy class really shouldn't be longer than 30 min) so the chance of him having an accident it probably slim.
My guys where all potty trained about 15 weeks 100% no accidents.
Good luck.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Leo (my GSD) started classes at about 14 weeks. Missed the 16 week Puppy class cut-off with Ilka (mutt), so she didn't start until she was almost 6 months old. The only requrement was that the by "current" on shots. Leo had her first (known) shots at 12 weeks, and Ilka had her first (known) shots at 16 weeks (rabies) and 18 weeks (DHLP and Parvo).

·
joie de vivre
11,276 Posts
Fiona was 12-weeks for her first ever class, puppy socialization.

Fiona was in posts until well over a year old and I didn't consider her reliably house trained until she was around 8-months old. She may have been sooner but I was cautious. I didn't want to trust her too soon to find out she wasn't ready and deal with that setback, however minor.

So if I would have waited until she was house trained and out of posts, she'd have damn near been 18-months old. LOL I'm not sure why those 2 things would matter to you unless the training facility requires it. In which case I'd find a different training center. Most 12-week old pups are not reliably house trained. It's too be expected in little puppy classes that some owners may need help in that area.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
I'm good with starting a puppy class in a controlled environment once they have 2 vaccines.

As far as housebreaking, I don't really think that most puppies totally "get it" till they are about 5 months old. They learn to go outside, but don't quite understand that they are not allowed to go inside. So most puppies are fairly house safe (meaning that you don't have to watch them every second) by about 6 months in my experience.

With ear posting, most Doberman puppies with a longer crop, they won't be finished posting till around at least 6 months...... I would not put off a class till then! That said, my 4 month old puppy is going to a class and her show crop is pretty much standing full time already.... just really good ear leather.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I didn't won't his postings distracting him, that was the reason. He still tries to mess with them every now and then. I guess by the time he's 12 weeks he will stop messing with them as much.

·
Starchild
170 Posts
Well I didn't won't his postings distracting him, that was the reason. He still tries to mess with them every now and then. I guess by the time he's 12 weeks he will stop messing with them as much.
And he will. Harley stopped rolling around, trying to claw them off, and rub his ears on whatever he could around then.

·
Registered
726 Posts
We started at 11 weeks. She's currently 13 weeks and mostly house trained, but accidents still happen once in awhile. We will probably be posting until she's 6-7 months, and she has a medium crop. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
We started puppy class at 10 weeks and 12 weeks for the Dobes. 2 different facilities. Neither one would let the ears stay in posts with puppy play (it freaked them out). I took posts down for class and put them back up when we got home.

I have never heard of a facility needing dogs to be potty trained though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We started puppy class at 10 weeks and 12 weeks for the Dobes. 2 different facilities. Neither one would let the ears stay in posts with puppy play (it freaked them out). I took posts down for class and put them back up when we got home.

I have never heard of a facility needing dogs to be potty trained though.
No, they don't have to be potty trained. I just figured people waited until then. I wasn't sure.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Elsie started puppy classes at 12 weeks, then obedience at around 18 weeks.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Both my 8 week old pups where 100% potty trained in 3 weeks time.
- always set alarm clock in the first month, for outside visit, in the middle of the night
- back yard is for potty, front yard is for play
- I talk it up, in a constant happy voice..."lets go peepee"

Have fun at puppy class, but it is only a start.
- we skipped puppy class, and I personally taught OB between 4.5 & 6.5 months young
- both on & off leash

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I was just wondering. Rebel is 10 weeks and 4 days old today. I was looking at the Top Dog Academy in Greenville, NC and they like to start the pup at 12 weeks. Which is fine for me because I don't want Rebel to start until I get his postings off and get him fully-house trained.
I didn't touch on this the first time but I could.
Dreizehn was in posts until about 7 to 7.5 months of age. He started puppy classes at 15 or 16 weeks and went to daycare and the dog park almost daily starting at 4 months. I only took his posts off for 20ish minutes every 5-7 days when he went back to his breeder to get reposted. He should be fine in puppy class with his ears posted. If you have a bridge between the ears, however, I'd remove that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts