Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How old were you when you started participating in agility sports? My daughter has become really interested in it, and there is a training club not far from me where we are going to go for obedience training . She will be 11 before our pup is even old enough. I think it will be a great way for her to bond with the dog and will be great for both of them. Anyways just curious on your thoughts.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
How old were you when you started participating in agility sports? My daughter has become really interested in it, and there is a training club not far from me where we are going to go for obedience training . She will be 11 before our pup is even old enough. I think it will be a great way for her to bond with the dog and will be great for both of them. Anyways just curious on your thoughts.
I started with my last dog, a lab, at age 10. It all depends on the trainer and the childs interest as far as how well she will learn, pick it up, and be interested. Best of luck, it's trully and adictive sport! :nicejob:

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
You can start with puppies. :) my girl is almost 7 months old and we do a little with equipment, and lots on the ground.

Good luck I hope your daughter has fun!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I'll be starting an intro agility class with Dreizehn in about a month and a half. He'll be 14 months at that time.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
You can do all the flat work with them when they are puppies. No high jumping until 18 months or growth plates are closed. :)

If your daughter wants to do it - I'd say go for it - is she taking the pup to obedience class? She should do that too.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
My puppy is 4 months old and we do basics for agility already, the only equipment we are using at the moment is the tunnel, won't do any height jumping until she is 12 months then will do at lowered height, no weaves or contacts until she is 16 months.

The things we are working on- working around distractions!!! We go to distracting places like agility trials and make sure she can work with all those hyped up dogs around. Playing tug! We play lots of tug, have lots of fun! Also make sure she can tug around distractions and not just at home. We do lots of shaping with a clicker so she learns to use her brain and offer lots of behaviours. Learning self control is another important part of being an agility dog, we practice waiting in distracting environment, and get her used to hanging out and just chilling in distracting environments instead of working herself into a frenzy watching other dogs.

We are also taking obedience classes, which helps with all of this stuff. She needs to get the puppy basics sorted, like walking on lead, not jumping on people, being well socialized, okay with strangers touching her etc. We are going to start tracking in a couple of weeks too! Puppies can learn so much at a young age, just keep everything fun and light and they soak it all up!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She will be taking the pup to obedience class, obviously I will have to drive her. All of us (my wife, daughter, and I) will be involved in training though. When I showed my daughter the video on dpca.org of the young girl doing agility she fell in love.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FYI this is where we will be doing all the training LRDTC - Home
The first agility class is I think agility on the flat, and no jumping or climbing. The prerequisite is the dog has to be over 9 months and completed basic obedience. Although by then we should have more then basic. Thanks for the advice you guys are quick to help.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Started Bacchus at 5 months in the woods. Lots of running and going over low stuff. Heavy on learning commands. Just generally introducing him to new things everywhere for confidence building.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I should have clarified a little better. I meant to ask what age did you yourself start training dogs in agility. Although the information about your dogs age is helpful too :).

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I guess I should have clarified a little better. I meant to ask what age did you yourself start training dogs in agility. Although the information about your dogs age is helpful too :).

You mean the people? :p

I started when I was 12 with my Doberman, we did pretty well. At my club we have a kids class with a 5yr old, an 8 year old, an 11 year old and might be getting a 7 year old soon. The 5 year old and 8 year old handle their parent's retired, trained agility dogs... But the 8 year old is very competent and will be starting his own dog soon (she is 12 months at the moment). The 11 year old has trained her own dog, the 7 year old coming is wanting to train her own dog, but we are going to get the parents to do the basic courses with her, as we aren't confident that a kid that has never done any training before can train a crazy 2 year old dalmation from scratch! Once the dog understands the basics, she will be able to go into the kids class and her parents can just watch.

Reactions: Q734

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
I just started with my first dog (so both me and him are newbies) I was 22 he was 19-20 months old...

There was a little girl in my class 12? maybe she and her dog were awesome

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I was 60 when I began working with Bacchus. Had never done agility before and saw some agility on animal planet one day so I decided why not.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
That's what I thought you meant.:) I was 38 when I started agility. I do know two young girls who compete. Their mother competes also. They also do h/j with their ponies.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Do we really have to state our age? LOL I was I think 43yrs??? That is the question all the time now. How old am I? LOL

That is great your daughter is interested and the whole family will be in on training! Sounds like a fantastic idea!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is great your daughter is interested and the whole family will be in on training! Sounds like a fantastic idea!
I think it's important for everyone to be involved in the training. It makes for a more stable household for sure. I guess I didn't realize that I would be calling out peoples age sorry:p. I'm glad she is interested. It's an activity I would have never thought to do at that age.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts