Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to know what everyone is feeding their puppy ? Breeder says one thing , vet recommends another and online says something else . So confused with what the right food should be for him ???
He’s 4 months and 54 lbs. He won’t eat his food unless I sit in the room and hand / spoon feed him. Everyone says if a dog is hungry he’ll eat but I’m worried he just doesn’t like his food :( .
Helllp !
Pic of Boris - he is quite handsome ;)
Sky Dog Plant Tree Carnivore

·
Registered
24 Posts
What a handsome boy!
54 pounds at 4 months is great! He must be eating something ;)

My boy Jax is almost 5 months old and soooo picky.

I have tried different kibble, wet food, homemade food, raw, ollie, and so much more!
I have left the bowl down for 15 mins and then picked it up if he didn't eat and tried to offer at the next meal, and he didn't care! He seemed happy I picked up his food.

He too would only eat if I hand fed him, and boy that was not what I wanted.

I recently just bought Ziwi Peak, it is a dehydrated raw food and omg he LOVES it. I've never seen him go crazy for food like this. He thinks they are treats!
Down fall... it is SUPER expensive. I am trying to find an alternative for a cheaper price, but no luck so far.

Perhaps you can get a sample of that and try it out!

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
He looks very handsome! I would feed what the breeder fed him. Leave it down for 10 minutes. If he doesn’t eat it, pick it up. Do the same thing the next time. He will get the hint. What you don’t want to do is create an even pickier eater by coddling or enabling him. Unless you are working on training, do not hand feed him.

If you want to get really wild try making his kibble time a hunt for fun. Scatter his kibble (including one or two pieces of crunchy treat (tiny Milk-Bone broken in half) across the kitchen floor or grassy area outside and tell him to “find it”. Use a high happy “Yes!” when he finds a nugget of food. That may give him some fun and work his brain.

At 4 months, he is not going to starve if he misses a meal. He is a hale and hearty boy. I do not think you need to start changing his food just yet. Switching food too often and too quickly can create all manner of gastric upset.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
I don't encourage pickiness. At this age, he's partly testing you (ASSUMING he's been cleared of all possible illness).

I do NOT add toppers or enticements, but I DO add a little warm water to soften kibble, because teething hurts gums and sometimes this can be the cause of not eating. I put food down. If pup walks away for more than 10 minutes, it vanishes until the next meal. Pop the softened food in the fridge. Offer at the next meal - if he walks away, it vanishes again. It usually takes 3 meals before pup is eating reliably again. A normal, healthy puppy will not reject food 3x in a row.

I don't use treats heavily during this time, either. By now basic obedience should be fairly reliable, and you may have been able to fade treats to praise or toy reward for training purposes. If you haven't started fading treats, I would start this now. Make it so the only food he gets is at meals.

Adding toppers can cause expectation you don't want to deal with. Hand feeding can cause an expectation you don't want to deal with. Feed pup in crate (if he's used to the crate - if not, don't do this right now as it'll cause negative associations).

SOMETIMES a change in feeding vessel can change behavior for the better. Try using a muffin pan or a paper plate.

·
Extraordimary
5,068 Posts
"Wanted to know what everyone is feeding their puppy ? Breeder says one thing , vet recommends another and online says something else . So confused with what the right food should be for him ??? "

And asking us will probably give you another 200 things.

I would listen to the breeder. They probably know what works for their dogs. And I'd do what is being suggested. Wait 10 minutes for puppy to eat and then take away the bowl. Too bad for him if he doesn't eat. Right now he's training you, and you've got to switch that back!

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
Doberman puppies are past masters at getting what they want--in this case you are doing a number of things that will backfire for encouraging good eating habits. So here's a list of things you should not resort to...

Never ever add anything to his food dish after you have put it down for him. (the next time he'll wait for something 'better' and won't eat what's there)

Resist the temptation to change foods for something he might like better. Pick a food either feed him what the breeder was feeding (I always feed whatever the breeder was feeding for at least 3 or 4 weeks and if I think it sucks I add stuff like yogurt, cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs etc--but only as a part of the first offering and yes, I do add some warm water to kibble--not just for puppies but for all my dogs all their life--it enhances the attractive smell and encourages eating)

If the puppy has already sucked you into spoon feeding him or anything mentioned above I will resort to hard core methods. First of all many puppies are overfed and it makes it easy for them to turn their little noses up at what should be their regular food.

So--reduce the amount of kibble a little, add a little water to soften it and make it more attractive. Put his meal down and give him 15 minutes to eat it--if he doesn't eat--pick it up and if I have more dogs than just the puppy I feed the puppy first and give his rejected meal to the other dogs. If he's an only dog I don't try to save that meal by refrigerating it. If the puppy is already being picky he won't even look at food offered a second time. Bite the bullet and discard it.

Start with fresh kibble for the next meal but reduce the amount of the kibble still a little more. During this program do not feed treats, use his own kibble for training and if you were adding anything to the kibble stop doing that, offer kibble only.

If he rejects that meal (is he still on three meals a day?--you might want to reduce the number of meals to two as well at this point) when you fix the next--reduce it a little more. Still turning his nose up at the food.

Tomorrow morning he gets just kibble--dry (that way you don't throw it away if he doesn't eat it.) and I use a measuring cup and make sure I know exactly how much kibble is in the pan--and I will keep reducing the amount of food the puppy gets--the worst puppy I ever had was one I got as a rehome--because he was so picky his first owner from the breeder brought him back in tears saying he was starving. He was NOT starving but he was very determined to keep holding out for better "stuff". He went five whole days eating three or four kibbles if anything and his bowl came to him with less and less food in it. It was down to 1/4 cup of kibble, dry, before he was so hunger he ate it--stuck his nose in the bowl and ate the kibble like it was the best thing ever.

At that point I started started adding another 1/4 cup of kibble to each meal--still dry and when he was eating that (and he did eat it--quickly and didn't leave the bowl until it was empty) he was getting two meals a day--I started adding a little warm water and the extra's I always feed, yogurt with his breakfast, a chopped up egg with his dinner. Occasionally a little meat. And then the puppy gets treats for good behavior and successful training.

To be honest at four months and 54 pounds that puppy is definitely eating--but if you don't get pretty determined that you and not the puppy is going to decided what to eat and when to eat you'll end up with an uber picky dog and they are a pain. Unless he's very close to 5 months I think his weight is a little more than I'd expect on a male puppy and he definitely won't starve while he's learning to eat.

Good luck--and you'll need to be hard hearted to some degree about this picky eating. He really won't starve and will continue to train you to get what he wants until you put a halt to the reward (and that would be bowing to his desire to get what he wants).

dobebug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts