Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not really a big deal or anything but i was walking my rott and some guy in a truck was like how old is he and blah blah blah i got my rott at the pound and he has a mild case of mange but now his hair his starting to grow all back the guy was like it looks like he's been beatin and abused i told him i got him at the pound and everything but he didnt seem to believe me he said a few not so nice words to me and said he was gonna call the dog warden b/c he thinks i have abused the dog LOL... right anywho after that i was like i wanna get a doberman next he said dont get one a friend of mine had a dobie and it turned on him all they do is turn on their owners i just walked off after that i finally got on the bike trail and a little girl on a bike with her dad beside her came along and the little girl started crying and got upset i guessed b/c of the dog of course and her dad was like do you see what that monster you call a dog is doing to my daughter? she was like 3 i said the only monster i see is you buddy he was like oh really and ect. i continued on my walk once again ....lol jeez what a day i live in a really small town and people just stare at me and the dog like i have a problem or something and its just not good but whatever i guess a few days ago on the bike trail it was like 8:30ish pretty dark i was walking Duke and i seen this lady walking a big dog not on a leash ..sigh when i got closer i guessed it was a boxer it was all barking and coming up to my dog and everything the owner was like heel heel and of course the dog wasnt listening to her she had to come over and grab him by his collar and pull him away after that duke was trying his hardest to get at the dog and the lady was saying a bunch of crap ...lol i dont have any good luck period i try to walk him late hopeing not to see anyone but yea

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Don't you hate living in a small town at times? I can't stand it some days, other days I love it! I am sorry that all of your walks have a negitive action to go along with them. Don't listen to the people bad mouthing a rott. Rott's are wonderful dogs. My brother has one and I love her to death.

Oh and it is true that every dobe will turn on their owners. They turn around and sit on their owners lap, and licks them non stop. :)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
People just like to talk smack simple as that. With all the stuff about Rotts and Dobermans in the news every so often. And Past stories and so on its just what you get. Its not right but thats how it works. I just never had such a bad time 3 different times just trying to walk my dog lol That Dobie that attacked its Owner prolly couldnt handle no more of their crap... to bad i guess if you cant properly work a gun/store it good than you shouldnt own one and keep it in your house if you cant do the right things for a doberman you shouldnt ever get one you get what you put into things maybe not always at first but soon enough you will and who knows where they bought it at or when i see so many doberman ads in the local paper here and you can tell there all out for one thing and one thing only MONEY two days ago an ad 500.00 bucks for a pup with kimbertal bloodlines which means its a supersize doberman pretty much sigh.. than today the same ad says new lowered price 300.00 for a pup hmmmmm

·
Registered
281 Posts
Im quite lucky in my village..its small enough enough for people to recognize me adn Harvey. All the dog owners use the same routes pretty much so they are totally fine with him..alot of them said they didnt know dobies were so nice (so hopefully the words spreads around that they dont eat you as soon as they look at you lol) and Harvey loves to play with all the other dogs and he so well behaved with them. Although there is one lady who i have met before whilst walking who has a collie/sheep dog Harvey was of his lead having a run around and i noticed this lady and her dog ahead off-lead..this ladys dog gave chase to Harvey ..i called Harvey and he came back..she came stomping over yelling at me that i should keep MY dog on a lead because HER dog is aggresive towards other dogs!.. sheesh why the hell should i keep my dog lovin Harvey on the lead when heres is the aggresive one:mad:

Other than that they only probs i get is when i go out of town ..i get some cutting looks from people to be owning sucha vicious dog.

quote crxman
i got my rott at the pound and he has a mild case of mange but now his hair his starting to grow all back the guy was like it looks like he's been beatin and abused i told him i got him at the pound and everything but he didnt seem to believe me he said a few not so nice words to me and said he was gonna call the dog warden b/c he thinks i have abused the dog LOL

I have had some real unkind remarks from people about Harvey..he is a rescue and when i first got him he was very skinny and looked awfull..it got to te point where i was telling the whole story over and over again about why he looked the way he does and that i wasnt starving him ..but it was a complete waste of time ~ they had already made their minds up about me :mad:

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Its a Curse we have to live with. No matter that our dobes are the sweetest, people have their own impressions. I see that everytime we go out.

My personnel favorite is the clearing of the sidewalk as you approach them. When they do that, I just turn around to see whats behind me, while also walking to the side of the sidewalk. My girl, Nikita, has also started to look behind us too when I do that. I'm like, "Oh, I thought something was behind us." and just keep going.

The common one is those people that just freeze in front of you when they see my girl. They ususally do that fear sound. I just ask them politely to stop scaring my dog and we move on.

Its just the common perception of the breed. I agree that the breed became too popular in the late 70's and early 80's, which cause the breed to be over produce by BYB'ers just looking to make $. Also, it seems that the only role in movies are either guarding a junkyard or working with the bad guys. The only positive role I remember was from Magnum P.I, Zeus and Apollo which was on the side of the good guys.

I try to have my girl be an ambasodor to the breed. We do alot of training in public places. The busier the better. Once people see her doing this and not paying attention to them at all, I get a totally different reaction from them. Its like, WOW, what a well trained dog. I get alot more people stopping to pet her and I show them how great the breed is.

I really believe that a doberman is not for everyone, but when you do have a doberman, you have more of a responsibility to make sure you make your doberman the best it can be than the average dog owner. I see alot of dog owners at the dog park, which can not control their dogs. Its not totally the dogs fault, it mostly the owners which have caused this.

I know this is alittle long, and I apologize for this, but we I got Nikita, she's my first, I wanted to show everyone how great this breed is. The Curse will never go away, I accept it and I show others that its not true by example.

My 2cents.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I love the side walk clearing. It gives us more than enough room to walk Gracie! :) I love when children come up and ask to pet her. We make Gracie sit, then the kids get to pet her. The parents are looking out the windows with their jaws hitting the floor.

I also have to explain the story behind Gracie every time she meets someone new. She has scars around her back legs, every one always asks what happened to her. Even the vets ask. That is also something that will never go away with her.

My mom was also very against us getting a doberman. She swore that they were evil dogs, we were all going to get hurt, eaten alive and so on. Her boyfriend came out here and met Gracie. He fell in love with her. Then my mom came out here and now every time I talk to my mom that is the first thing out of her mouth is "How is my Gracie?!"

I just watched a movie called "Monster In Law" they had 2 dobes in it. Laying on the beach happily. I was like yea I am going to buy that movie just for that scene. It really shows the real doberman we all love.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I get the samething here in dallas. I walk trinity around 10am after most of the kids that go to the schools near me are in school.

Once someone was wlaking past tirnity with there little kid and the kid started to cry. The little kid said the dog scared her. The father came up and started yelling at me. Then he grabbed me when i was tring to walk away. Trinity didn't like it to much that he wouldn't let me leave but all she was doing was barking. Then when trinity wouldn't stop barking he tried to hit her. That really pissed me off. Luckly there was a cop sitting in the parking lot across from the park and saw the whole thing. He came up and arrested him and the whole time he was gripping about why I wasn't getting arrested. It also kind of helped considering the officer is one of my best freinds father. She loves him he gives her lots of treats. The officer said that he will go to jail for attempted assualt and that I didn't need to come into court for it because he got the whole thing on tape.

The one thing that was going through my mind the whole time this was going on is "I would if he beats his kid?" If he can't handle a dog barking while in an argument then I don't think he would treat the child any different.

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
WOW, what is this world coming to?

It is amazing that you cant even take your dog for a walk without being harrased. I am glad that I dont seem to have those types of problems...yet.

Good Luck and ignore them people.

TD

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have never had the bad/evil doberman reaction with GKar. The cream color confuses them I guess but no one has any problems letting their children pet him except me if there are to many of them. I do not think he would have let someone yell and grab at me thou without attacking. He tends to be very protective of me and the other animals in the house.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yep, I agree with everyone else who has made the comment that it is up to us as Dobe owners to try and change the public perception. Unfortunately when we adopted Jeddah she had a major fear agression problem. We've really come a long way with the help of a brilliant trainer. Just this morning, on our walk, Jeddah completely ignored a couple of dogs going off behind their fences. So I am happy to parade her in public now!

When she was not so good, I would only walk her at night. As I did not want people pointing, OMG look at that killing machine! We also do our training in public sometimes, helps with the well behaved image.

Jeddah is the only Doberman in our area, and the only Doberman on our Vet's client list. For this reason, I think she gets a lot of stares while we're out. I had one kid ask me if she was a pit bull the other day??? I explained that she was a Dobe, he said he'd never heard of them!! He obviously lives under a rock.

I pulled up outside the bakery one day with Jeddah in the back seat, head out window, checking out the world. Mother in car beside me screamed, and I mean screamed at her children....."don't touch that dog". I was stunned, I wish I had been quick enough to say "yeah, don't let you grubby little ones touch my darling, I don't know where they've been". But, I always think of these great lines, after the event.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Gracie's_Mom said:
My mom was also very against us getting a doberman. She swore that they were evil dogs, we were all going to get hurt, eaten alive and so on. Her boyfriend came out here and met Gracie. He fell in love with her. Then my mom came out here and now every time I talk to my mom that is the first thing out of her mouth is "How is my Gracie?!"

I just watched a movie called "Monster In Law" they had 2 dobes in it. Laying on the beach happily. I was like yea I am going to buy that movie just for that scene. It really shows the real doberman we all love.
I watched that movie and me and michael nearly leapt out our seats when we saw them ..we are such geeks and both get all excited on seeing dobes in the movies lol It was nice to see them playing a nice role instead of a killer:cool2:

My mum was also quite anxious when we got Harvey but now she brings round little presents and always says 'look what grannys bought you' she completely adores him :D

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
WHen we first announced that we were going to be adding a doberman to the family, my mother in law was VERY angry with me, always looking for a reason why I wasn't right for her son and grandkids, but that's another story.... She said that I was endangering them and someone was going to get hurt...... Well, I'll just keep waiting for that moment....

I live in a sidewalk area with lots of kids around. And when I walk Lexus, there are always kids that approach and want to pet her, I carry treats and Lexus know the drill, stop and sit in order to get any attention. I see the parents watch from the window, a few come out and gather up their kids.

Like others have said - we have a responsibility to protect and uphold our breed. I have not had one person who has watched Lexus perform her commands (which we always have in effect in public) that hasn't commented that they were amazed at her restraint and workability and at the same time say MAN I WISH MY DOG WAS LIKE THAT!

A point I always bring up is that it was accomplished with much time and work, daily training and patience. I don't want Joe Schmoe thinking he can go buy a doberman and it will automatically be like Lexus in nature. That what screwed up the breed so bad in the first place - they got too popular.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My neighbor called the police on me and my mother yesterday. He is fixing up his rental house next door to me and yesterday he called the police saing that my dog was tring to kill his dog. WHen the police came out he was the one that got the ticket it because his dog was just running around not on a leash and here in dallas there is a leash law. Plus I have signs up saing warning security dog and because of these signs as long as trinity is in my backyard I can't get in trouble because I have warned the people and if something happens to them it is not our fault. LOL No one around me likes trinity. The only other times I have seen a doberman are like once a month or 2 months at the plano dog park. BEsides this I never see any. Even the people at the new petsmart I go to are shocked when I walk in with tirnity. They are like cool check it out its doberman.

A couple of days ago as me and my mother were entering the dog park there were these 2 teenage boys leaving and we haerd them say "Now that a german sheperd" Me and my mother looked around and there wasn't a single german sheperd at the dog park. Then we turned around and told them she was a doberman not a german sheperd. Then they started arguing with me because they were saying that they know what a german sheperd looks like and that was a german sheperd and I need to do my research on breeds before I try start agruing things like this with people like them. I just laughed. LOL

Its shocking at how many times people think dobermans are a different breed then what they are. Some of the times the breeds they think dobermans are just blows me away. I have heard pit bull, german sheperd, great dane, rott,and mastiff. LOL I don't really see where they are getting these breeds from a doberman but yet I'm not in there shows. Its just shocking.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I actually dont get too many negative responses to King. Id say 99% of the time people think he is gorgeous and want to talk to me about him, or they have owned one before and share their stories about their dogs, or they want one but their living situation doesnt allow it. Ive only had maybe a handfull of people say something about dobe's being mean, crazy, and/or untrustworthy. The main thing i hear is "Oh, dont dobes go crazy when they get older because their brains grow too big for their heads?". Overall, people in my area seem to be really fond of dobe's.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
when i first really started thinking about a doberman as a pet my uncles friend came over to do some work on are house or something this was a while ago but anyways i told him i was intrested in the dobermans for like 15 minutes he was trying to convince me that its a FACT Dobermans brains grow to large for their skull and that their not smart at all... lol it shouldnt of made me mad b/c i knew he was wrong but when someone just keeps going on and on and on saying the same thing and in the meantime you know your right it kinda makes you wanna strangle them..lol

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
ill have to agree with tomandking - i rarely, if EVER get a bad response to my dog in public. in fact, most people comment how well behaved he is and what a great dog dobes are.

maybe a lot of it comes in how you present yourselves. when i take my dogs out in public, i make sure we are all on our best behavior - as a representative of the breed, we owe it that much. if hes acting poorly, i remove him from the situation immediately and dont give people a chance. my dogs arent barking at other dogs, they arent straining at their leash, they sit quietly when told, they focus on me. sometimes people will talk to us and bring up the stupid urban legends, but i use it as an opportunity to educate them.

the worst problem i have is with other people who have off leash dogs when we walk - i sit my two, have them focus on me, and simply tell the owner that they need to get their dog. if they ask why, i explain my dogs are not dog friendly (which is not necessarily true), and most oblige. whenever we pass other dogs on trails, mine are sat and focus on me politely off the side of the train so others can pass, and then we continue on our way. when people ride bikes past us (bowies BIGGEST pet peeve), he is in a down and told to leave it, and he obeys.

if anything people APPRECIATE me having a well trained doberman.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I haven't gotten many negative responses while walking Apollo (just a few sidewalk clearers), but since he's just a puppy and not very intimidating at this point...I'm sure that will change once he gets older. One thing that I have noticed though, is that when he didn't have his ears cropped more people (basically everyone we walked past) would stop and ask to pet him, and now that doesn't happen as often. But we do still get a lot of people saying, "Nice dog!" and wanting to chat about the breed. I'm by no means an expert, but I try my best to answer their questions based on my experience with him and the research I did prior to getting him. I think it's great when people want to know more about Dobermans and it's awesome to show them a side that's so different than the stereotype, ie. my well behaved puppy sitting patienty while letting someone pet him or waiting to cross the street :) I absolutely hate stereotypes, and I try my best to destroy them whenever I can, and I also agree with everyone in that I think as Dobie owners getting rid of that "junkyard monster" image should be one of our main goals, next to keeping our little "killing machines" healthy and happy of course :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
One thing that I think is funny about my neaibor going nuts over my dog is that there is a boxer living right down the street and by no means am I putting a bad image on boxers i like boxers its just kind of weird that people grip about my dog when there is a dog that has almost the same stereotype as a doberman that is getting treated nicer then mine.

One thing that does upset my about my neiabor is that i have heard him when he is showing the house and before they even walk up to the house he tells the people that want to look at it that there is a doberman next door and then asks them if they still want to look at the house. That made me mad but of course no one likes him anyways because the lady who use to live there had liver and bone cancer and he would come over and expect her to wait hand and foot on him even though she could barely walk. This is one reason not main people on my street like him. So far I have only got 3 people on my street that like trinity.

I do agree with you IloveMyDobie31 when you said "I also agree with everyone in that I think as Dobie owners getting rid of that "junkyard monster" image should be one of our main goals". My main problem with this is that some people try to talk me into thinking there way about dobermans even though they are wrong. People are shocked when the ysee how well behaved trinity is on her walks. I have her seat before crossing a street while waiting for cars to pass. One person said to me today that the ycouldn't believe that such a mean dog is being so well behaved. LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts