Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I am not only new to this website/forum but also new to going about purchasing a doberman. I am not, however, unknowledgeable of the breed. I have been researching the breed and talking with dobe owners or breeders for the past 6 years gathering information (on not only the breed but breeders as well) and funds to purchase the lovely dog.

I have read a few forum threads here and there and can see that some people may get annoyed at this post if I had not searched others for the answer I seek. Well I can assure you I searched for this breeder and did not find much on them. Due to their name I am finding more results with the location "west coast" rather than the title.

With that being said, please assist me in finding if this is not only a reputable breeder but also have a good track record.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my new thread! :nicejob:

PS: Please be peaceful in your responses to one another. No need for back biting as I have seen in a few other threads.. :'(

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Is this them?
European Doberman breeder | Doberman puppies for sale in San Jose
West Coast Doberman Ranch | Facebook

If that is them, how do you feel they compare to this checklist?

I will preface my opinion with the fact that I have no personal experience with this breeder. Based on their webpage I would not give them a second glance. The seem to do nothing with their dogs but breed them. Their dogs are not titled and, therefore, not proven to be correct to the standard of the breed and/or able to work. They are also not health tested past vWD status, it seems. This is a VERY unhealthy breed of dog and breeding untested dogs is just criminal, in my opinion. Anybody who is breeding dogs without testing them cannot possibly care much about the puppies that they are producing or the buyers who are getting these puppies.

The thing that I REALLY don't like about this breeder is this...
I researched Dobermans for over a year before purchasing my two females Fergie and Fendi. They grabbed my heart from the start. I was addicted to them. I raise them and they grew to be beautiful girls, so I decided to breed them and from there we have produced many beautiful and healthy pups.
He did a year of research before purchasing his first two breeding bitches and he purchased them in 2009. That means, giving him the benefit of the doubt, that he is breeding dobermans having done MAYBE 4 years of research and I'm sure he didn't just start breeding them this year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Awesome! I am liking you peoples, you respond quick!
Thank you sam and macks mom! I will definitely check there.
Thank you patch work robot! I believe that is the breeder. I didn't know I could find them on facebook, but I did find them on their website:
European Doberman breeder | Doberman puppies for sale in San Jose

I am sad to here that you didn't see any proof of health testing on their facebook page. It is very fortunate then, that their webpage was far more informed! Here is a quote from their home page "All of our dogs have been DNA tested (from VetGen Laboratories) for VWD, DCM and color genetics so that we can bring you the best possible health record."
But, I must agree with you, when I looked at the sire and dam pages some of them had not posted all other the results just yet, (giving them the benefit of the doubt here) causing me to question if they were bred before they were tested..

I look forward to more responses. Thank you so much! :)

(quick edit) haha I only saw that you posted the facebook page, and not also the web page.. :) also I did see that they don't do much with their dogs aside from pet breeding

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Here is a quote from their home page "All of our dogs have been DNA tested (from VetGen Laboratories) for VWD, DCM and color genetics so that we can bring you the best possible health record."
But, I must agree with you, when I looked at the sire and dam pages some of them had not posted all other the results just yet, (giving them the benefit of the doubt here) causing me to question if they were bred before they were tested..
For me, vWD and the DCM gene are not enough with this breed.
First, dogs can test negative for the DCM gene and still suffer from it. There are holters and echos that should be done yearly (or every other year?) after the age of two. I also think that thyroid, hips, and eyes should also be tested, at minimum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I completely agree and now understand your first comment.
Would you recommend me calling and asking since it doesn't seem like all the pages have been updated yet? Perhaps they do but haven't gotten around to posting (which would be weird)? (I really hope that's the case)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yikes VZ! That's scary to know. Thank you for your comment!
How will I be able to detect when wording on a website isn't quite on point? Any hints or clues I should look out for?

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
There are several red flags.....

Oversized dogs touted as desirable.
Limited or non existent health testing.
A breeding pack (a resident male being bred to several females all owned by the breeder)
Poor conformation of dogs that are in photos.
No competitions of any kind.....agility/confo/OB/Schutz/etc.
Pedigrees that have no titled dogs close up (parents/grandparents.
Claims of dogs being so great that no competitions are necessary.
Lots of puppies.
Puppies sold uncropped....unless out of country.

Just a few...

Ooops almost forgot......When it sounds too good to be true, question question question!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I should definitely call then and question it up!
It seems the majority of their dogs are sired by Kimbertal studs and quite possibly purchased directly from Kimbertal (do a quick search here or on any Doberman or Rottweiler forum and you will see that most people are strongly against Kimbertal).

Another thing that bothers me is that they list the sire of the all their dogs, but rarely the dam. Did the dam not contribute 50% of her DNA? In my opinion, the dam is just as important as the stud, if not more in some cases.

In all honesty, I wouldn't even bother contacting these breeders. I don't find their breeding program to be impressive in the least and know that you can find an infinitely better breeder with the links that sam&macksmom provided. If you are looking for Euro type, you will find the UDC breeder referral list to be more helpful.

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
Oh my, another Euro greeder supplied by other Euro greeders. Just what the world needs. :mad:
OP, if you are looking for a Euro dog, please make sure to check out the links others have supplied. I will tell you that Thyroid, heart, and eye testing are of GREAT importance in those lines. This breeder doesn't even do hips, crazy! And don't fall for the DCM DNA test, it pretty much means zero.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
Just a heads up, vom Landgraf, von Luka and Incredible Dobermanns are in CA. they are very reputable breeders who have European lines, and have health tested/proven (titled) dogs. I would look into to any of them.
And to top it off, von Luka has done a breeding very recently--I think they'll find out if the breeding took in a few weeks! von Luka Dobermanns - Puppies

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,952 Posts
Just the bloodlines they list are enough to make not bother with them. Kimbertal and Britton Farms? Bleah.

Also, the Bishop x Sammy litter that is on the ground now? Those dogs are not yet 2 years old, so neither one can have had their hips evaluated by the OFA.

I didn't see a mention of any other health testing (ie Holtering, ekg, thyroid, etc). Like I said, I wouldn't even bother calling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Wow thank you so much everyone form your input. I guess I will have to trust you seeing that you guys have been around this forum longer ;).
Patchwork robot? salesman?

Rotten von spotten and Workingk9s: Thank you for your input. After seeing all of these posts, including yours, I figure it isn't worth my time. :)

Indcredibledobes: I don't think you are referring to me, but just to make sure, am I the euro greeder? Aside from that I completely agree! I will be making sure the breeder I look at has everything tested lol like EVERYthing :)

Mangujowa: You live near the west coast too? And thank you for that link, I will be opening it in a new tab.

Sinister: Thank you so much from your references! I will definitely look into them again.

Rosemary: I hear you. Since your advice is going along the lines of many others on here I thank you for your confirmation. I am understanding more and more that this breeder hasn't shown many signs of responsibility.

Is there anyone that has had any personal experience with this breeder?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts