Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got someone to video the dogs for me last weekend, thought I would share our progress.

My little black "goldendoodle" is 8 months old now and is just too good...there is seriously something wrong with this dog. He tracks, he bites, he heels...I mean come on...who wants a dog like that? OK I'm kidding, he is freaking awesome and everyone loves him. When I check back in a few more months we shall see if I am singing the same tune...

Hans is my trouble child. He pisses me off, and enjoys every minute of it. We are doing well though...we have our retrieve on the flat, and over the jump and climb now. I wish I had a video but I only got a short clip of him heeling before the battery quit.

Anyway, here is a video of both dogs doing a little heeling work. Diego is just on foundation work...Hans is a little further along. I think Hans is in a better position now so I am happy with that. I am rewarding with my left instead of right with him, which took some getting used to because I am not coordinated but we are getting there.

I am still using my right hand to reward with Diego. I just find it easier for me with a puppy that you are just working on having them get used to different positions. I am not consistent with keeping my left hand in the right position for him and tend to push him away. I am not really working on perfecting his position at this point, just keeping him interested and excited about it.

Diego is wearing a pinch in the video, but I'm not using it, the leash is on the flat collar.

Critique is always welcome!

bnRAz1NTAyw

Here is Diego doing a little courage test...
scO3zETvoaY

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool videos! So who do you enjoy training more?
Hans...the Bouvier is fun, and his bite work is great...but I just love the doberman attitude. They challenge you. Its a whole different ball game with them!

Reactions: Sinister

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Nice videos, I am a newbie to obedience so can't critique too much. How long have you been training for? What venue are you training for? My only tip would be to reward with left hand to prevent dog forging across your body for rewards. Cute dog, there is a gorgeous bouv showing here who is soooo big, that coat and the big head makes him seem heaps bigger than a giant schnauzer even though he isn't :)

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nice videos, I am a newbie to obedience so can't critique too much. How long have you been training for? What venue are you training for? My only tip would be to reward with left hand to prevent dog forging across your body for rewards. Cute dog, there is a gorgeous bouv showing here who is soooo big, that coat and the big head makes him seem heaps bigger than a giant schnauzer even though he isn't :)
We train for IPO...I started last July.

I do reward with my left hand for Hans...I just haven't been able to get coordinated enough for the Bouv because I am luring him so I have to be able to hold my hand in the right position without pushing him away or behind me. How do you hold your treats in your left hand? I use hotdogs for obedience and I can't figure out the best way. For a dog who already knows what heel is, it is easier to reward with the left because you are giving pieces every now and then instead of luring with the food for a puppy.

I like being able to see a video of us because you can see things you can't when your out there working with the dog. Diego is heeling at an angle because of where I have the food, so I need to straighten that out.

Yes, the Bouv is getting a haircut this week. :) Their coat does make them look big. Its funny when he gets wet because you can see how small he really is. His bone is much lighter than Hans' also. The Bouv (Diego) weighs about 57lbs and Hans is about 78lbs...but they are almost the same height.

Reactions: the_discowhore

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
I too have had issues with luring using my left hand, but I found out it is just because of how Zeus bites for the treats and not necessarily my hand. I use this method with great success for other dogs I have worked, especially puppies.

My trainer showed me how to put the treat between the pointer finger and thumb. Using this method, you first have to get the dog used to shoving his nose in the crevice, then start luring. You also need to make sure the food is big enough in order to keep them gnawing at it etc. Zeus will not continue to keep his nose in there because he easily becomes disinterested, but the puppies and other young adults will keep trying and trying. I let them lick at it, nibble at it and what not until they 'finish' something or are exactly where I want, then I realize (open my thumb) the whole treat, and replace. I also use hotdogs mainly, and these seem to be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts