Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What self respecting Doberman lets herself get sprayed by a skunk and doesn’t make a PEEP??? What kind of owners don’t’ KNOW their own dog is skunked and continue walking along the river trail for an hour!!! We knew a skunk had sprayed, but hubby and I SMELLED all 3 dogs and not one smelled “like skunk.” That is...until we got in the car. OMG by the time we got home I was ready to throw up. We still didn’t know WHICH dog was hit. Sadly we bathed Flirt last. The second hubby brought her in the house I could smell the skunk.

So how does a dog get skunked though and not make a sound? She has a high prey drive, runs after critters, barks her dang head off typically. Yet I have NO idea when she got sprayed.

We used the hydrogen peroxide recipe and her body is ok but that NOSE, that GIANT NOSE STINKS. She’s trying to kill me with her stench. Her favorite way to cuddle is like this....

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
too funny! Good luck with Miss Stinky!! :)

Reactions: Adara

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Bwahahahahaha!

Ah...memories of my Kylie.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Wheeler has been sprayed twice, doesn't seem to bother him a bit. :)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Ahem...my boy Rush made it clear he *liked* getting sprayed by skunks; it was a lifestyle kind of thing for him. There was never any barking done..the first warning you had was that insidious smell wafting into the house.

He saved the barking for the possums. :)

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Ahem...my boy Rush made it clear he *liked* getting sprayed by skunks; it was a lifestyle kind of thing for him.
I had one of these years ago... it was horrible! She would get sprayed and then rush gleefully inside and roll on everything happily.

Rachael doesn't much like getting sprayed (actually, maybe what she doesn't like is getting drenched in deskunking solution), but that is not a large factor in her belief that all skunks must die. The last three times she has been skunked, she obviously has been moving wide-mouthed in for the kill... and getting sprayed directly in her mouth and down her throat and into her lungs. You can't deskunk a dog internally! The indescribable reek that breathes out of her lasts for WEEKS... she can practically kill a person by panting in their face!

·
Registered
884 Posts
I'm curious... how does your car smell now? I heard that odor lingers for a long time in fabric. This is a good reminder for me to keep some commercial deskunk product and disposable rags in the car.

Maiya was skunked last year at home. Luckily, she was either far away and/or the spray only hit her feet and ? (it is difficult to pinpoint the exact point of contact) and I noticed before I let her in the house. I used a commercial deskunk product but for weeks after, whenever she got wet, the odor became stronger again.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm curious... how does your car smell now? I heard that odor lingers for a long time in fabric. This is a good reminder for me to keep some commercial deskunk product and disposable rags in the car.

Maiya was skunked last year at home. Luckily, she was either far away and/or the spray only hit her feet and ? (it is difficult to pinpoint the exact point of contact) and I noticed before I let her in the house. I used a commercial deskunk product but for weeks after, whenever she got wet, the odor became stronger again.
Thankfully I keep 2 crates in the car all the time. I had one Vizsla on my lap in case it was her (vs the car itself) and then crated the other 2. The car STUNK until yesterday morning. I took all the bedding out of the car right away. All the towels we used to wash them, the bath mats, and oru clothes stunk until washed. The kennel run I put themin while bathing the others stunk for a few hours. The only thing that still slightly stinks (OTHER THAN HER HEAD) is her duralon hunting collar. I'm going to try soaking it in something tonight to see if I can get it out.

Also I washed everything on a sanitary 2 hour cycle. One load didn't get done until the next morning and lordy did IT STILL STINK. It was the bath mats too!

Reactions: R2reddobes

·
Super Moderator
21,908 Posts
I'm laughing *with* you, not *at* you :p

Reactions: brw1982
1 - 15 of 15 Posts