Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Storm's Mom
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were in our backyard, which we're trying to fence in, and playing ball, taking pictures, having a good time. Someone down the road started a bike and Storm got distracted a little bit, as she doesn't like the noise and feels she must see what it is, but she soon forgot and we continued playing. THEN, the person who lives up the hill behind me(my entire backyard is a hill) started their lawnmower... I didn't expect for this to happen and of course, with it being so close, Storm takes off to investigate meanwhile I'm calling her back. She stopped about 4 or 5 feet from the guy, didn't even bark, saw what made the noise and came running back to me and went straight in the house. I shut the door knowing the guy was going to come speak to me... Sure enough, here he comes and is extremely terrified of what happened. He states he has kids, etc. I ensure him she is a good dog and is raised with kids and am truly sorry she did that. He asked if she's ever bitten anyone, and I reply that no she hasn't. I asked if I could walk her up to him so that they could meet officially so that she knew who he was and he could understand that she is NOT an aggressive dog, but he declined =/ I rarely take my dogs in my backyard to play because it is not fenced in... Today my son was out playing in the awesome bit of sunshine, letting all the dogs out, so I thought we could all play for a little while... Although my dog listens and recalls in most situations as she's used to ALL KINDS of distractions, I forget sometime how high her drive can be when it comes to protection. Bad judgement on my part... We really need to get a move on with that fence... Long story and crazy situation. Anyway, just thought I'd share. (We were able to get some really nice pics though before it all happened! =)

·
Storm's Mom
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I feel better now. I took it upon myself to walk up there with Storm and he agreed to pet her and everything was fine. He told me it more or less just really caught him off guard. I don't want someone to get a bad idea about Dobermans as a whole. Glad it turned out nicely. And, after living her for a little over a year, I finally know what one of my neighbors names is! :roflmao:

·
Registered
222 Posts
UGH! I know how you feel!!!!!

We have a LONG driveway and we were in the back which isnt fenced either because we're on a farm & for some reason these people decided to park there car down the highway and jog pass my house with there lab, well we also have a chocolate lab & our doberman tore off to meet who she thought was our boy timber.... well it wasn't and when she saw it wasn't him she came home, The guy jogging was freaking out & I explained to him yes it was my fault but she is friendly and thought it was our other dog. Now they have bought the farm down the road and told a ton of stories to people in town how our dog is a baby eater lol

anyways I feel ya now we just put her on a line when we can't be out there with her, so I no longer see a flash of black ripping down the driveway in my kitchen window lol

Reactions: Dobermom07

·
Storm's Mom
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol! Makes me feel better that it happens to other people sometimes too. That sucks they live close to you now and think that way. It's hard to beat a stereotype when our dogs look ferocious to others even when we know they're just being Dobermans. :D

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Glad it worked out okay, but it could have went really bad quick.
The first time, Nubis heard and seen me pushing the lawn mower. He did not like it all, barking, nipping my butt. But i assured him its okay, now stay away from it. LOL
I would get the fence finished though. When my Asian neighbour, seen how fast Nubis was growing up, he built a wooded privacy fence alongside ours, in record time.

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
Until you get your backyard fenced I'd have her on a long line so I could control her in open areas.

I take my girls to parks to throw the ball around but I know they would be running up to other dogs, chasing squirrels, wanting to meet every other person there if I didn't have them on a 50' long line. I can recall my girls (although if they were to take off after a roaming cat in the park, I probably couldn't recall them until they had killed the cat) but I don't want them getting excited and rushing someone with their dog and scaring them unnecessarily. 50' is more than enough room for them to run and play with some freedom but it still gives me a way to keep them from surprising anyone.

·
Registered
222 Posts
yeah Tanner usually has a great recall but when your inside it doesn't work :p I'm glad we have the line out there now it is just reassuring for when I can't be out there with her, the funny thing is that the people who she ran up too have had there dog running loose in town like 10 times and got fined. at least my girl stayed on her own property.... anyways I guess you can't pick your neighbors!

Reactions: Nubis'sDad

·
Storm's Mom
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm trying to wait for the hubby to come home from Afghanistan and help. Kinda hard to build a fence with a crazy 3 y/o lol! Plus, he knows what he's doing. Me, not so much! lol! I'd rather it be built good the first time so it doesn't accidentally fall over during a snow storm this winter or something :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts