Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, I am Xena's owner, and Ive got loads to learn!

So as I said, i would introduce myself formally.

I go by Jess (Jessica), and I've got 3 pooches (two lovely dobes in my family). I live the north county of San Diego; Vista/Oceanside. I have no children (way too young!) and have been with my fiance and his family for the last 7 years. I work as a lab technician and customer representative for a research lab (in hormone balance), and thats a whole other nutshell in my life :) We help all kinds of cases, and its a good feeling when you've helped others in their health both body and mind. I'm a World of Warcraft fan, and im a sucker for reality tv :lol2: Crocheting is one of my favorite hobbies, and I love any art activity.

Zeus is a red doberman and the eldest, just turned 8yrs in April. He is the first dobe I've ever had met and have had experienced handling and living with. (He is my in-laws 3rd doberman in their family). He's a great dog, very smart and a whole lot of love.

Mazel Tov is 6yrs old, and he is a yorkie. We took him in from a lady whom couldnt care for him. He's the first alarm of any business of the house, and tough one to train :p but he is such a sweetie.

Xena is a blue doberman, she will be 16wks (01/31/12), in a few days. She is my very first own doberman of mine. Its amazing watching her grow and learn so much so fast. I can not wait for all of the new things we both will enjoy learning together.

As my personal experience with animals.
I grew up with pets in my home from fish, cats, and then dogs. Many guppies died, and Ive lost a beautiful long haired tuxedo cat (Tommy). He died of kidney cancer when after I moved from home. He went suddenly and lived to be 7yrs old. My first experience with dogs was at 11 yrs old, and they were both mutt-poo's. "Niko" a male Min poodle of something. "Nikki" was also min poo-something, (mom brought her from mexico :screama:). Back then we didnt know of the harm of buying a pup from the paper,and my mom went randomn in getting nikki while in Guadalajara. Both poo's I trained from basic skills that I picked from watching others while growing up.

This summer I plan to help in as much volunteer work I can haul. I would like to attend my local Doberman club, to learn and possibly be a part of many in the Doberman community here. I hope to observe confirmation shows and other competitions as well. I'd love to learn and see what many hard working dobes are capable of, and to also meet some knowledgeable dobe owners/breeders.

I've got interests in learning and accomplishing training in obedience and agility, possibly schutzhund but I'd like to get my feel of basic training and watch many rallies. Now since having Xena for almost 2 months, I think she has that "go-to" favor in training with her. As to training "heel" and "fetch, come" are her favorites, sit, down and stay, and then has that puppy moment that she will get distracted if I dont keep her busy with whats next. We start official training tomorrow!! Im excited cant wait to get my first scoop on a training class and i hope to learn much valuable lessons for myself in training.

I titled that I have an over due introductory; I've been a DT member for only a bit, and I've learned lots and still need much much more to learn about dobermans. I made the horrible decision to knowingly give my money to a BYB for Xena, this I will never live down and will forever be ashamed of it. I give my sincere apologies to many, for my rants/comments and disregarding their viable advice while in midst of my purchasing of Xena. I promise it to Xena and to myself and to any breed to never do this again regardless of the circumstances. As a DT member, I hope to learn much more from many of the amazing efforts of others here that are great mentors, if they are willing to give the chance once more to share with me their advice of the breed. My foolishness ends now, and I need to get it together.

Thank You DT for taking the time to read this to know a little bit of myself on a more personal level. I look forward to learning more from others and using DT as a positive tool for myself and my dobermans.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Welcome from Lansing, Kansas. My Dobie is a 2 year old female blk/tan. She's the love of my life. Her name is KISS it stands for:
Kind
Intimidating
Smart
Scary
I bought a cat/kitty so Kiss would not be at home alone. I named her Hug. There isn't anything that it stands for. I just thought it went with Kiss. I have a Fox Trotter mare named Mocha. I don't see the horse as much since I got the dog. Sad, but true.
Anyway, welcome.:p

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Welcome and where are the pictures? It is a requirement that you post pics. (just kidding, sort of) I am in Oceanside too. I am dogless at the moment but am slowly looking for another. You have found a place that is full of knowlege and great people.

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,616 Posts
Welcome. I am glad to see you sticking around and trying to absorb some info.

My guilty pleasure is reality tv! :butfly:

Reactions: SoCalDobie

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome from Lansing, Kansas. My Dobie is a 2 year old female blk/tan. She's the love of my life. Her name is KISS it stands for:
Kind
Intimidating
Smart
Scary
I bought a cat/kitty so Kiss would not be at home alone. I named her Hug. There isn't anything that it stands for. I just thought it went with Kiss. I have a Fox Trotter mare named Mocha. I don't see the horse as much since I got the dog. Sad, but true.
Anyway, welcome.:p
Hello KissNme, and thank you for sharing.
Kiss is a sweet name for a black and tan dobe, and I'm sure hug and her make good company for each other :) I admire horses, I never got to ride one or actually experience being near to one to really know how lovely they are. Hopefully she will warm up and come around ;)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome and where are the pictures? It is a requirement that you post pics. (just kidding, sort of) I am in Oceanside too. I am dogless at the moment but am slowly looking for another. You have found a place that is full of knowlege and great people.
Madmony
Nice to see a member in the neighborhood! I have loads of pics on my phone, I will most definitely share them once I load them on the pc. Best of luck on your search for another dog, will you be looking into dobes? Yes, DT has shown me many things to learn from, not only of the breed, but also me as a person. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome. I am glad to see you sticking around and trying to absorb some info.

My guilty pleasure is reality tv! :butfly:
Coco Loco
Yes, DT is my go to for dobes! I will be sharing lots of questions and stories.

Ah, yeah bravo tv has really got me to be a junkie lol

Reactions: Coco Loco

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,422 Posts
Welcome to DT--glad to hear you're sticking around. Someone said something about the necessity for pictures here (I think it's in the contract somewhere LOLOL), so I won't mention that :)

I'm not a WOW fan, but my daughter is, so I've almost got the vocabulary down and can half translate what you gamer folks are talking about when the subject of WOW comes up. A strange occupation :rolleyesww::p

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
Welcome from Missouri!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thank you everyone for your welcomes :)

I promise to share many photos of my fur baby and my boys. I have a few of Xena in my gallery too in the meantime.

Today was a busy day for Xee, first training day (went well, but we have homework to do!) and the trainer there so far seems good. Took a long ride up to the vet to get her new postings, and we're now headed home. She's all tuckered out!!

I also got an update of her urine results, it did come back positive with bacteria and very small amount of crystals. Her ver wants to do a culture test, and also prescribed clavamox, and royal canin urinary SO. I was suggested by a helpful DT member to try canine grade cranberry supplement to help with the UTI, will have to keep that handy since this is her second UTI. I keep plenty of fresh water for her and been on top of her potty breaks. This is my first rodeo having to care for UTI's, any other tips on how to prevent them is greatly needed. I've been feeding her Innova Large breed puppy, and wonder if maybe it is a factor to her UTI problems.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome to DT--glad to hear you're sticking around. Someone said something about the necessity for pictures here (I think it's in the contract somewhere LOLOL), so I won't mention that :)

I'm not a WOW fan, but my daughter is, so I've almost got the vocabulary down and can half translate what you gamer folks are talking about when the subject of WOW comes up. A strange occupation :rolleyesww::p
Haha yes, WoW is a strange occupation lol I used to play a lot, but will have o put it aside. I owe all my time to Xena! I might sneak a few times and get a little dragon fight out of me :p

Reactions: melbrod

·
#1 Stunner
464 Posts
Welcome. :) Hats off to you for taking your fifty lashes and sticking around, so few do. There is so much to be learned, it's worth it. My fiance is into WoW, and I also love art and reality TV. :shhhh: What shows?

I know that you haven't gotten off to the best start here, but it is commendable in its own right to own up to it and stay to learn.

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
Many female puppies can be prone to uti due to the conformation of the vulva. Especially if at all inverted. It typically resolves after the first heat cycle. It sounded like your vet wants to spay prior to the first cycle. If so that may be something you should ask about.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Many female puppies can be prone to uti due to the conformation of the vulva. Especially if at all inverted. It typically resolves after the first heat cycle. It sounded like your vet wants to spay prior to the first cycle. If so that may be something you should ask about.
Thank you for this tip, Incredibledobe.
I will look into canceling her scheduled spay and speak to her vet again. I had mentioned to her about my first pre-cautions of spaying before first heat. She said in her experience, it's rare occasion for spay to cause health issues.

FYI, I take her to banfield for the wellness plan they provide. So far it's been helpful, but I'd like to get her real insurance if something serious were to happen. And I like the idea to havey choicr of any vet of my interest, preferably one with plenty experience with Dobermans, and other working breeds. Hopefully I'll find one that accepts insurance, I know the finances of it are sensitive to vet practice.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welcome from Oklahoma after the UTI is gone might give Cranberry capsules a couple of times a week of course might ask your vet 1st.
If her vet sees no harm, I'm all in for starting her on cranberry supplements.
Thanks Patches :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts