Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I noticed a little blood on Gracie's tail. I look at it, cleaned it, then put cream on it. This morning I called the vet and told them that she needs to go in and have her tail amputated. Which I called a new vet, this vet is the one my brother uses and I have only heard good things about them. So anyways she goes in on the 30th for a consultation, then surgery if they know for sure they can do the surgery.

What questions should I ask of them? Also it needs 1/2 inch cut off which will be a little over half of what she has now.

Also I was told to put peroxide on it to clean it out, which I did tonight. I put it on and she just laid down and watched. When it comes to that part of her tail she doesn't show any sign of it hurting or anything. I know when I put peroxide on myself I can't wait to wipe it off. She didn't care about it at all. Is this normal? Should I do the peroxide thing everyday until surgery day?

Advice and support will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I'm glad Gracie will finally quit having to be irritated by her tail! I would think as long as the wound on her tail is open, keep peroxiding it daily. Obviously doesn't hurt her, and keeps it clean.

I think you're pretty much set to go! If you come up with anything just ask the vet, but Gracie will be a happier girl in the end!

·
Registered
742 Posts
You know, kings tail drove him INSANE when he was young. I took him to the vet and they have to re-dock it. they ended up having to take out the last bit of cartalidge because the nerve endings grew through causing him pain. he used to chew it until he would bleed. once the surgery was done, he never did it again. I hope everything works out for her. poor baby. Hugs for her.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Katie, I have a file on my PC about questions to ask a new vet, if you like I can e-mail it to you.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Gunner said:
whats up, why is her tail bleeding
She bit her tail in mid August. We got that all healed and she was fine with her tail. She would lick it and stuff like that. She is missing hair on her tail now but she wasn't bitting it or anything like that. So the other day I was playing with her and seen that her tail was wet. I made her come over to me and stand in front of me. I looked at it, and took her inside to get it cleaned. I clean her tail with peroxide 2 or 3 times a day, then I put cream on it.

She will be going in on the 30th for the new vet to take a look at her tail, and surgery the same day if they feel that is something they can do.

D.P. I will pm you with my email if that's okay?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I sure can Jess. My ISP is running a little slow tonight but I'll send it over as soon as it frees up. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts