141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #141

·
Got mutt?
13,601 Posts
Someone in a local-ish Facebook photography group posted a picture of one of their cats, and I was thinking "That looks like a Devon....". And it was. She seemed pretty surprised that I'd even heard of the breed, let alone knew someone who had them. Hers was a real pretty tortie and white. She also has a lynx point.

·
Super Moderator
21,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #144

·
Got mutt?
13,601 Posts
My gosh, Bea is HUGE next to them. And where on earth can you find a store with paper bags?

Reactions: LadyDi and melbrod

·
Super Moderator
21,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
My gosh, Bea is HUGE next to them. And where on earth can you find a store with paper bags?
They are really tiny - I think Matilda is maybe 4 pounds, Gus maybe 5? Bea is an average sized cat...about 10 pounds. Devons aren't a big breed, but they are on the small side, and of course they aren't done growing :)

My grocery store always has paper bags! I usually use my re-useable bags but sometimes I use paper.

·
Got mutt?
13,601 Posts
They are really tiny - I think Matilda is maybe 4 pounds, Gus maybe 5? Bea is an average sized cat...about 10 pounds. Devons aren't a big breed, but they are on the small side, and of course they aren't done growing :)

My grocery store always has paper bags! I usually use my re-useable bags but sometimes I use paper.
Wow, they are small. Lana weighs nearly 4 pounds now at four-ish months.

Paper bags are rare down here. One store, that I used to go to a lot, won't even use my bags. I have to tell them to just put everything back into the buggy, and I'll bag it myself at the car. The other store I frequently go it is fine with using them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What Cat shows did you go to? TICA or CFA?

Ultimately, it's personality and looks. From our breeder's website, their personality is described as "This adorable combination only hints at the mad-cap personality within – a cross, some say, between a cat, a dog, a monkey, and Dennis the Menace. They are a fun and fun-loving breed with a relaxed and social attitude rarely associated with cats. Delightfully silly in both appearance and antics, Devons are interested in everything and everyone around them. Their playful nature means Devons easily learn tricks and are always up for a game of hide-and-seek, tag, or fetch. This unique breed possesses intensely loyal, human-loving, dog-like qualities. A person must be prepared to be owned by a Devon. A Devon will eat with you, sleep with you, and perch cozily on your shoulder while you are on the computer or reading. They will follow you around the house, sit at your feet, or jump on your lap the minute you sit down."

So, I guess they remind me a bit of Dobermans, LOL! They are social and outgoing, clingy, wanting to be with you. Less aloof than many cats. And, of course, they are utterly adorable - they are supposed to be "elfin" in appearance. We'd look at some other breeds, and I also really liked Siberians, but ultimately decided I couldn't handle that level of grooming, and the personality wasn't exactly what I was looking for (although maybe down the road, who knows).

It was really fun to go to cat shows and actually meet breeds, although some breeds are far more rare than others and harder to find at shows. But the cat shows were really fun, and the owners/handlers (typically the same person) were really open and easy to talk to, and eager to tell you about their breed. Super fun!
I'm an ambassador at CFA shows as is Bentley's Birman, Nermal. Yes, I really bought my Doberman a cat! Nermal is retired from Showing now and goes to shows to be held, petted and loved on. But I'm one of the people that talk to those coming to shows, point them to the breed they want to see if they or their kids want to pet, hold a for REAL Grand Champion Show cat, they can with Nermal (Bentley's cat) :)

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
3,734 Posts
I'm an ambassador at CFA shows as is Bentley's Birman, Nermal. Yes, I really bought my Doberman a cat! Nermal is retired from Showing now and goes to shows to be held, petted and loved on. But I'm one of the people that talk to those coming to shows, point them to the breed they want to see if they or their kids want to pet, hold a for REAL Grand Champion Show cat, they can with Nermal (Bentley's cat) :)

Denise, never thought I'd be posting on a cat thread, but our Dobe, Eva, is now fascinated with all cats, after her first kitty encounter, posted in this thread:

https://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-related-chat/309189-eva-s-first-close-kitty-encounter.html

Every day on our walks, Eva looks for Spidy, the little playful kitty and has frequent play sessions with her. Eva also has been making friends with many of the "cat lady's" 5-cats across the street! Everyone suggested we get Eva her own kitten, but it's a bit late in her life for that! :2smile:

Oh yeah, after Spock's not-so-good following encounter with Spidy, he now walks a little faster past the kitty's yard on our walks!.... :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
21,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Denise - there were hardly any shows local to us when we were going, but we were able to meet our breeder at an AFCA show that she was attending. She then later came down to attend a really large CFA show later that year, but we didn't go to the show (I'd like to go this year if shows resume, but I'm not sure if they will). That CFA show is the biggest one that happens locally. Cat shows are few and far between around here!

I meant to post this pretty picture of Tilly the other day and forgot:

2020-08-26_01-27-07 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
21,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Reactions: LadyDi

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
24,819 Posts
They CAN'T be a year old already. No way!!

I was just thinking of them yesterday—I was wandering around the net and saw a picture of a rex type cat and wondered why we didn't have any recent pictures from you.

And here they are!

Happy Birthday, Kids!!:cake:

141 - 156 of 156 Posts