Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, just got a doberman, named him Chief. As i am new to dobermans, and i have wanted a doberman for a while now, need some help!

ok, firstly, food- he is 7 weeks old, feeding him on complete dog biscuites, the wagg brand, but it doesnt say how much to feed pups, but it is sutable for them, so roughly how many grams a day should i feed cheif to make a bonny dog?

now, onto the mucky stuff, he has done his brown sugar inside and out, about twice inside, and 3 times out, how long after feeding him should he be took outside? what should be said to get him to recognize his toilet is outside and not inside! same with his pee,

now onto the shaking, ear flicking and bald patch , he shakes quite a bit, but stops when you talk to him, and he shakes outside, but it is a little cold and wet today, now his ear flicking, when i took him outside to do his dirt, he kept shaking his head to flip his ears, then his back leg was lifted to has a scratch, now it is raing, so could it just be the rain drops irritating his ears?

now the bald patch, as he is a pup, i think its from playing with is bros and sisters, any skin problems conditions that look like a bald patch?

now washing, is he ok to bath at 7 weeks? he smells a little!

also a note, when i was looking at his mother and father, he mother seemed to lower her self when being stroked, is that a sign of hip problems? or just getting comfy

thanks!

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
any dog food should have serving sizes on the bag.

15-20 minutes after eating (sometimes sooner than that), take him outside. i noticed my little man starts to "zoom" with his nose to the ground when he has to poop.

are his ears cropped? what sort of bald patch are you talking about? can you provide a picture? the only "bald patch" that comes to mind is ringworm, but i'm definitely not an expert on dogs.

i wouldn't bother with bathing him unless he's actually dirty and/or really stinky. he's a dog, dogs have a scent.

did the breeder do any kind of health testing on the parents before breeding them? do you have any sort of health records?

Reactions: Amelia_

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Congrats on your new addition!

Shame on the breeder for giving him too you too young and not informing you about correct feeding procedure! Where are you located?

Pups at 7 week should be fed 4 meals a day, I'm not sure exactly about serving suggestions but Wag is a very poor quality food. I would instead look at Orijen, Acana or Fish4Dogs which all have much higher quality food contents.

I would take him into the vet ASAP to have them examine him, as if the breeder is less than stellar, he could indeed have worms. If his ears arnt cropped, He could have an ear infection if he's shaking his head, or something stuck inside? They will be able I advice you indeed if amounts for him too.

For toilet training, I take my puppies out all the time (very 20 mins or so) and when they go to the toilet I give a command ('toilet') along with loads of praise once they've finished. Keep a look out for signs your pup needs to go.

I wouldn't bother washing unless he's dirty, just make sure you get him used to being handled lots and trim his nails a little when they get sharp

Best of luck with Cheif (AWESOME name!) do stick around and share pictures! :)

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
As I don't know what kind of kibble is available by you I can't be of much help there. As for the toilet training, Amelia had good suggestions. My suggestion would be to pick up a good book on raising puppies. My favorite is: How to raise a puppy you can live with by Rutherford and Neil

7 weeks is very young - make sure you head to the vet for a complete physical including fecal. Bald spots may be demodex mange, and the ear shaking may be ear mites.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ok, i have booked him for the a nurse to check him over, the bald spot just lloks as if its a wrestling thing, as it was with its litter, guess i will have to cope with the accsidental poop here and there, its all part of having pups! now with the mother, when she lowered her self, can that be a sign of hip problems? chiefs poop is pritty solid and he has a nice appitite, he is currently sleeping, and twitching alot guess he dreaming right? he is kc registerd just waiting for the paperwork.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,949 Posts
Did the mom just lower her head, or did she flinch down and away to avoid someone's hand, or crouch when touched? Avoiding someone's hand sounds more like temperament than hips, unles the only time she did it was when you touched her hips. She could be a more submissive dog, or even timid.

Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the parents where very friendly, and where running round, but the mothers back legs lowered/ widend her back legs when she was being stroked, does they posture change when they get stroked?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
You sound like you're in the UK?

Sometimes my boy pushes his bum down and into you when you scratch it in the right spot, but difficult to know exactly what kind of behaviour it was without seing it. Id guess she wasn't in pain if she didn't move away from you.

The twitching during his sleep sounds normal too, but I'd just mention it to the vet.*

Re the KC paperwork, in the UK you should always get the paperwork along with the pup too. Not to sound suspicious, but it's quite common for dodgy breeders who have bred a bitch too many times or is endorsed to say 'well send the papers in the post' and they never turn up. Not trying to be negative or anything, just something I remember for the future.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hello, yes i am in the uk, will mention the twitching,

the kc papers, i thought it was funny that the papers where not ready, but the ladys details are on the kc registor, but if the bitch has bread too many times can that leave a negitive effect on the pups?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
It wouldn't have a directly negative affect on the puppies, but it could have other effects (a breeder who breeds too much might lack in other areas of being reputable, eg health testing, temperament ect)

The kennel club will only register 4 litters from one female. If your pup is KC registered, I would report the breeder to the kennel club for giving puppies away too young and not providing you eh appropriate aftercare advice.

Honestly youve got your pup now so I wouldn't worry about it, just treat it as a learning curve for the future. If the vet says here is anything immediately wrong with the puppy however, I would want to report the breeder.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Did the mom just lower her head, or did she flinch down and away to avoid someone's hand, or crouch when touched? Avoiding someone's hand sounds more like temperament than hips, unles the only time she did it was when you touched her hips. She could be a more submissive dog, or even timid.
Avoiding someones hand can mean a Dog has been hit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
ok, so just got back from the vets, he is under weight by about .5kg so i will be getting him upto his correct level, he also has been wormed, as i think i there was lots of eggs in his poo,

i am very angry at the breeder for mistreating the litter, the bald patches could just be scabs that have come away, if you look at some of the patches there is a sort of stubble, any thing else i could do to help the little fella? will he still come out as a bonny doberman with no negative effects from being underweight etc

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,949 Posts
Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Your description of the mother sounds like she was stabilizing herself, reminds me of a male Doberman I met who has wobblers.

Did you ask the breeder what was wrong with the mother? It's always a good thing to ask questions, since mothers can pass down genetic diseases.

Good luck with your pup, I would love to see some pics!

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
ok, so just got back from the vets, he is under weight by about .5kg so i will be getting him upto his correct level, he also has been wormed, as i think i there was lots of eggs in his poo,

i am very angry at the breeder for mistreating the litter, the bald patches could just be scabs that have come away, if you look at some of the patches there is a sort of stubble, any thing else i could do to help the little fella? will he still come out as a bonny doberman with no negative effects from being underweight etc

Have you asked the breeder to show you copies of all health screenings done on the parents of this litter?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
That's excellent you got him to the vets as soon as possible.

I'm sorry to hear about the breeder, but what's done is done I guess and all you can do now is do what's best for your boy and give him the best care you can. I'm sure he'll be fine with a good food, plenty of love and training :)

I'd say you'd be best to keep him with regular checkups with the vet and do as much research as you can about every thing; food, behaviour, training and the rest. Are you planning on joining a class with him when he's old enough to leave the house after his injections? Definitely stick around the forum there's loads of help from experts.

I would name and shame the 'breeder' for the benefit of someone looking them up on google and I would also report them to your local council and to the kennel club.

Please feel free to PM me or let me know if there's anything I can help you with, I'm not sure where you are but I'm in the midlands.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts