Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last week or two Gracie has this new eating thing. I feed her in the morning and she eats it right away for the most part. Some times it takes her 30 minutes or so to get her lazy butt off the couch. But at night when I am at work hubby feeds her. As soon as he gives her, her food she goes right to the couch and lays down. But when I walk in the door after work, I let her out to go potty. But as soon as she comes in she heads right for the food dish. She wont eat unless I am home. Is this weird or is it just me thinking this is odd? Also is there any reason why she is doing this? Besides the obviouse she loves her mommy more than her daddy. :D ;)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
isn't the obvious enough??? :) maybe she's just more relaxed when you're at home... Does your hubby let her out to potty before he feeds her? You said: "But when I walk in the door after work, I let her out to go potty. But as soon as she comes in she heads right for the food dish." Maybe she's waiting to potty before she eats...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
She gets fed within 15 minutes after she gets in at a certain time. Then she goes back out a little later before hubby heads to bed. Maybe she needs a quick nap before eating? I don't really know what time hubby feeds her when I am not here. When I am home one night during the week I feed her and she digs right in. Maybe she is just more relaxed with me than him. I just realized this all started after I really started working more and more on training her. Maybe she is seeing me as her security blanket kind of thing?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Harvey used to do the same thing with me...only ate when i put the bowl down. With Harvey i think he just bonded with me alot quicker than he took alot longer with michael..he now eats from us both. Gracie is probably seeing you as more of the leader of the 'pack' if you have started training more and more..she probably looks to you as the leader...maybe hubby could get in on the training if his work hours allow :)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His hours do allow it. He does take her out in the front yard without a leash and has very good control over her out there. He spends a lot of time with her when he's home. :) Maybe she is just to much of a momma's girl! :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
shes just a mummys girl then lol..Harveys defiantly a mummys boy as i spend alot more time with him training etc but now winters coming michael will be working less so he can be mum for a change lol :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just to add my 2 cents if I may.

I think the issue may be a hierarchical one? Gracie probably views you as the alpha in her pack. Although Gracie submits to your husband, he may not be viewed as the alpha, and as such, Gracie does not have "permission" to eat until the alpha permits it, evident in wolf packs.

I try to instill in my dogs good table manners, i.e. finish your food before you leave the table. When they are younger, they tend to divert their attention to a toy or play when they have not yet finished their food. I confiscate their food and they don't get any snacks or anything until their next meal. This goes on until they learn to finish their food.

Perhaps get your husband to serve the food and confiscate the food if she doesn't eat until the next meal? Then get your husband to serve the meal again and repeat until she understands?

Regards,
TH

·
Registered
133 Posts
We have a kitty that will only eat when you sit there with him petting him. When you leave the room he'll follow you, and as soon as you walk back towards the food bowl he'll rush over to it waiting to be petted so he can eat. That's probably my fault because I got him used to it when we first got him.

My previous dog used to do the same thing also...which was a problem when we had to go on vacation and leave him at the kennel. The first time we went on vacation, we left him a bag of food while we were gone and when we came back the kennel insisted that they tried feeding him with no luck. We were a bit suspicious so a few years later when we went again, we had him stay with a friend, and she told us the same thing. He simply would not eat unless my dad was there to feed him because my dad had always fed him since he was a puppy.

It's funny how pets develop strange habits. Our Pom would also pick the food out of his bowl piece by piece. He'd pick up a piece, carry it to the middle of the room, lay down and eat it, then repeat until he finished it all. We tried putting him up on a counter to eat when he was a puppy but he'd just sit there wanting to get down. Since we got him until the day he passed, he never once ate out of the actual bowl.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
IloveMyDobie31 said:
It's funny how pets develop strange habits. Our Pom would also pick the food out of his bowl piece by piece. He'd pick up a piece, carry it to the middle of the room, lay down and eat it, then repeat until he finished it all. We tried putting him up on a counter to eat when he was a puppy but he'd just sit there wanting to get down. Since we got him until the day he passed, he never once ate out of the actual bowl.
Gracie does that to. Except she takes a mouth full of food and goes to the livingroom sits down, eats then gets right back up to do it again. Lol

My husband does feed her, she will eat if we are both home with out a problem. I figured she would view him as the alpha, he is a lot more strict on things than I am. But she's cute she only wants...... You know what I mean? I know that she will not let her self go hungry. Sooner or later she will eat it. I think. Maybe I should try to see if she iwll eat if I don't come home by a certain time. She is a strange dog, I swear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts