Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm looking for info on to increase appetite on my boy or at least try an bring his weight up .
He eats like a horse runs all day and I have him on a mixture of dry dog food and raw Tripe/chicken/bison, any other suggestions he is just over two years and 76 pounds . Thx

Wasn't sure if he was getting enough fat or if something else .

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
From the posture in the photos, it is hard to tell if he is too thin... the one with him in the grass seems to show a dog with proper weight.

What kibble are you using? How much of that are you feeding? How much raw are you feeding? If you feed more, does he walk away or consume it? You said both that you are looking to increase his appetite and that he eats like a horse... not sure how to reconcile those two statements.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,479 Posts
And.....what height is he (ground to shoulder)? It can be hard to measure that (try lining him up against a wall), but I imagine you can picture the difference the extra height might make between a 25 inch dog and a 29 inch dog, even if they both weigh the same. 76 pounds might be a little light, but not necessarily if he is on the short side.

You may just have a lean boy--good weight for a doberman means you can see his waist from the top; he should have an up-tuck in his tummy and you can see the last rib or two when he's in a standing position. You should not see an overly prominent backbone or hip bones, and you should be able to feel all his ribs (no layer of fat on top of them).

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I think we need to see a full on standing side shot and one looking down to help judge if he's really underweight

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Sorry , first two pictures is from the summer last is a few days ago,, eating like a horse when he eats , twice a day on his own, I give him 1 to 1-1/2 pounds of raw a day, kibble is purina at the moment (2 cups). All shots up to date. I'll have to measure him for hight .

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
From the pictures he looks pretty good. If he is "eating like a horse" then I'd just up the amount of food by a little bit. I'd suggest a higher quality kibble as your first step and if you're really worried I've heard that something called "Satin Balls" will help fatten up a dog.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Sorry , first two pictures is from the summer last is a few days ago,, eating like a horse when he eats , twice a day on his own, I give him 1 to 1-1/2 pounds of raw a day, kibble is purina at the moment (2 cups). All shots up to date. I'll have to measure him for hight .
That's not really an excessive amount of food. My 70# eight year old bitch eats 2# of raw food per day. Unless you are on the top-of-the-line Purina (like Pro Plan Select), I agree with the suggestion to upgrade your kibble... the good grainless foods have much more bang for your buck, and you would be offering considerably more nutrition in the same two cups of something better.

That said, I really don't think that I see a problem (hard to say without hands-on). More weight won't translate to heavier bone or greater musculature in a dog which is already well-exercised. Lean is generally healthier than pudgey.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My boy is 18 months and I have a hard time keeping weight on him also. I would like to see just a few more lbs on him and I just can't seem to get it. He is 28" tall and 78lbs. I had him neutered last week and I was hoping that being on restricted exercise would help but I don't think that it did. He eats 4 lbs of raw a day plus a bully stick, tracheae or some other edible treat.

According to my breeder, it is very common for the boys to have this problem around this age. With their hormones and metabolism it is no wonder.

You could also add cottage cheese to the meal or peanut butter to a bone or kong. Also there are meats that are higher in fat then others. For example, turkey and chicken are low in fat and rabbit and duck are high in fat.

Beautiful boy!

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Satin balls ROCK and are great for truly emaciated dogs, dogs who are ill and not eating, etc. They put weight on quickly and increase appetite (in the sense that they are gobbled up like candy). We used them when Julian had cancer, and my sister used them on an emaciated weim rescue. LOVE THEM. If your boy is underweight (and I cant tell from those photos) I highly recommend them. If you use them, start slow. They are SUPER rich and can cause GI upset.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My boy is 18 months and I have a hard time keeping weight on him also. I would like to see just a few more lbs on him and I just can't seem to get it. He is 28" tall and 78lbs. I had him neutered last week and I was hoping that being on restricted exercise would help but I don't think that it did. He eats 4 lbs of raw a day plus a bully stick, tracheae or some other edible treat.

According to my breeder, it is very common for the boys to have this problem around this age. With their hormones and metabolism it is no wonder.

You could also add cottage cheese to the meal or peanut butter to a bone or kong. Also there are meats that are higher in fat then others. For example, turkey and chicken are low in fat and rabbit and duck are high in fat.

Beautiful boy!

Thanks!, I'll try adding some cottage cheese , I tried a little pan fat from cooking but it makes him sick so I gave up on that. somebody also suggested duck eggs but they are a little pricey at the local store I go too.
as for metabolism I know what you mean . So much energy I would think he would run himself lethargic .

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Satin balls ROCK and are great for truly emaciated dogs, dogs who are ill and not eating, etc. They put weight on quickly and increase appetite (in the sense that they are gobbled up like candy). We used them when Julian had cancer, and my sister used them on an emaciated weim rescue. LOVE THEM. If your boy is underweight (and I cant tell from those photos) I highly recommend them. If you use them, start slow. They are SUPER rich and can cause GI upset.
Thanks as well, I'll look these up,, might help as treats in between his regular eating times.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've been trying to get a couple of pounds on Koa the last month or two - I feed kibble, not raw, so I'm not sure about your quantities. I've upped my Orijen quite a bit higher than the bag "recommends" and I've been alternating days adding hard boiled egg and tripe (smell gets me every time) to his daily diet. It seems to be working well...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Also there are meats that are higher in fat then others. For example, turkey and chicken are low in fat and rabbit and duck are high in fat.
Duck is high in fat (and goose and lamb/mutton and some pork and etc.), but rabbit is very low fat.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
For an emergency or life-threatening condition, I would go there... but not just to gain a pound or two on an otherwise healthy dog. I wouldn't be my choice to feed all that wheat and sugar and inappropriate fats. I would opt for more good food, or more nutrient-dense good food.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Panzer the doberman vs Pasta - YouTube

The is the latest video of him. Tho I don't give lots of table scraps . I try to keep him on his own food for the most part
Keep him lean. Actually, you might want to starve him until he is weak... otherwise, he might kill you for torturing him with pasta LOL!

He looks fine and healthy and happy and obedient, even if he is obviously tortured and abused <vbg>... I wouldn't be worried about your boy, at all.

·
Registered
381 Posts
For an emergency or life-threatening condition, I would go there... but not just to gain a pound or two on an otherwise healthy dog. I wouldn't be my choice to feed all that wheat and sugar and inappropriate fats. I would opt for more good food, or more nutrient-dense good food.
Well said. There is also a risk of pancreatitis do to the fat content. If you do use them you should use a low fat meat such as turkey, then again that kind of defeats the purpose of them all together. What is the protein content of his dry food? More protein would put some weight on him.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Ok thought these were more for lethargic dogs more along the lines of meatballs an oatmeal or something .:thanx:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts