Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to the park today. Here's a shot with them together sitting for a picture.

Here they are looking at the pond.

Da'Kari wanted nothing to do with the water, she thought she did until she got in it and jumped out as fast as she stepped in, it was too fast to get a picture LOL. She preferred to sit and just look at it.

Nash on the other hand jumped right in and walked around, he loves the water. I knew by the way he ducks his head in his water bucket that he would go in. When he drinks he ducks his head all the way in the water, when he pulls it out he is wet past his eyes LOL.

·
Registered
953 Posts
WOW--I can't believe how big Nash is!!!

Both of them are adorable :) Bruno does the same thing with the water dish. He sticks his WHOLE nose inside haha. I find it soooo funny. He even blows bubbles with his nose LOL.

How are the prong collars? We have one for Bruno. We just haven't really used it. Other then when we first got it, we tried. He did well. But I haven't actually taken him out with it.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, Nash is getting sooo big, he weighed 60.8 pds last week when I took him to have him neutered. Da'Kari weighs 70 pds and she is 14 months old, Nash will be 6 months on the 24th.

Nash blows bubbles too, it is hilarious. I get so tickled at him when he brings his head up out of the water bowl, his eyes look red sometimes like how a kids would from a swimming pool.

I really like the prongs for control, they don't seem to mind them at all, if they fought them I wouldn't use them cause I would be afraid it would hurt them but they respect them so it works really well. My daughter has two bassetts and she just got two for them and they work great with them too, they were pulling her so much and she tried one of mine and loved it. I wish I had known about prongs when I had my boxer, he use to take us from walks, he was so strong, but I had never heard of them way back then.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Oh my! Nash is getting so BIG! They look so nice out there. Asher will stick his hole head in the water and chomp at it, not even drinking it and blow bubbles also. It is so funny to watch. Even though he hates to go near water. Harmony is so delicate with water. My parents use the prong with their beagle. She had so many issues without her pulling and choking herself. She says that she wouldn't be able to walk her without it and loves it. People just have to make sure that they use them the correct way.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Do ppl say anything about them when you go out in public? Bruno did very well on it when we took him to the park and just practiced his walking. It was amazing how he stayed beside me instead of pulling. But I haven't tried taking him out in public with it. I just don't want the stares and feel I have to explain myself. Becasue like you said, unless he's pulling like crazy with it. It's doing him no harm. I just don't think other ppl will get it ;)

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
LMB, Who cares if other people get it? With a large breed dog who could seriously yank me around if he really wanted to, the prong collar has been a blessing. I think of it more as insurance than anything else. He wears it, but corrects himself... I use the fur saver on him alot too. The sound of it tightening gets his attention, rather than having to use it as a "choke" collar.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Da'kari, the doberkids look great :) Nash is huge! Rommel was about 60lbs at 6 months, then he got up to about 65, now he is back around 62-3 He is starting to even out, not grow like a weed like he did for the first 6 months. They look like they had a blast though :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
LMB, BiB is right LOL ok gals, hehehe, that is a lot of initials there ;) but anywho, nobody has really said anything, but Da'Kari is a puller, she is a high energy dog and does well in her commands except seems nothing helped with the pulling, we use to use Halti's but I hated them, everyone thought it was a muzzle and would say, "don't go near that dog, see, it has a muzzle on". LOL

I really didn't think I would want to use them but a friend of Marks let us borrow one to try and it made all the difference in the world. Da'Kari respects the prong, she is an angel to take out now and she doesn't pull. Now taking them out is so much easier compared to before, we aren't exhausted by the time we get home, makes it much more enjoyable.

And, YES, it is insurance, because one day Da'Kari caught me off guard when I was sitting on the steps out front of the house and Da'Kari was standing looking around, she saw the neighbor dog whom happened to be walking down the street and got excited, she took off and of course dummy me had the handle of the leash around my wrist, up I went from sitting position, grass was wet, (now invision this, it was hilarious) slippers hit the wet grass and I KNEW I was going for a ride, she ran just a bit, I was yelling whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, went down frontwards and she stopped, turned and came back to me, she knew she brought me down, I got up, knees burning but it was soooo funny that I couldn't stop laughing, the only good thing that came out of this is that only the neighbor dog got to see it, none of the neighbors were out since it was quiet early in the morn.

The prong IMO is worth it's weight in gold. Not only for our safety but theirs too, I don't want Da'Kari taking off after another dog or squirrel and getting hurt. Of course I am sure that some won't agree, but I have to do what is best for all envolved, I know I am not hurting them because they won't pull against it.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks crx, yeah he is a big boy, I hope he slows down some, would like him to be a little bigger than Da'Kari, we'll just have to wait and see :)

LapDog, believe me Da'Kari teaches him a lot of stuff LOL.

Thanks Tom, I wish Da'Kari liked the water too, but she doesn't, she stepped in it and I thought oh boy, but as soon as her feet hit the water she got out FAST!! LOL. I want to get Nash a kiddie pool, I know he would love it and who knows Da'Kari may give in and go along but I highly doubt it.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Nash just has that Big Teddy Bear look about him. Rommel did the same thing with the water. At first he didnt know what it was and I think he thought he could walk on it, he just walked right out into it, then realized WHOA what is this and came right back out. Piper on the other hand.....I think she is part Lab, she LOVES the water!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Great pictures! I don't know how everyone seems to remember their cameras on all their outings.

BackInBlack said:
... I use the fur saver on him alot too. The sound of it tightening gets his attention, rather than having to use it as a "choke" collar.
We've been thinking about a prong collar as well....whats a fur saver?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
my issue is tossing a prong on a puppy - puppies are young and need to be taught how to walk nicely. i dont see any reason why a 4-6 month old pup would need a prong collar.

my 11 month old male wears a flat collar with a fursaver - i attach a leash to both of them - purely because he can slip out of a flat collar if he pulled in the right direction. does he occassionally pull? yes - but i am teaching him how to walk nicely.

i dont have a problem using it for control on adult dogs. but i see no reason that a puppy needs to wear it.

in addition, i would never just take a dog out with ONLY a prong on - they can pop open very easily and release the dog, if i have eve rused one when in public, i again double collar the dog.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Right! what have you done with Nash, have you fed him to that big red dobe in the picture?
Seriously they are looking great and a credit to you.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We just started using the prong on Nash, the last couple of outings, he is stronger than Da'Kari in pulling, seriously, he is going to be a strong boy. We took them to a Fiesta in town back about a month ago and we had the halti on him and we were exhausted by the time we got home, he pays no mind at all to a halti it doesn't work on him where as Da'Kari did great on the halti. He does as well on the prong as Da'Kari does so I am not concerned.

Brum, thank you, he is getting big isn't he, I so hope he doesn't get too large I want him to be healthy and being too big may cause him problems.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.