Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Many of you know that we've been working through Chi's aggression issues of wanting to eat people and dogs on walks. She's made such great progress and I felt as though we were finally ready to start meeting and greeting - rather than calmly passing and observing - others. I'll admit that I'm nervous to the point of being neurotic of her biting someone/thing and do not totally trust her - so to help assuage my fears, I got a basket muzzle (better safe than sorry).
I asked my neighbor and her very calm (commatose) mixed breed male, Buddy to join us on a walk last night. I had asked Karen to completely ignore Chi throughout the whole walk and I know it was so hard for her to do it, but she did :) We met in the parking lot and the second Chi saw Buddy she started barking like mad - not sure if it was excitement or aggression to be honest - she is a very vocal dog and barks for everything but it's really hard to distinguish between the "I wanna play" barks and the "I'm going to eat you" barks. She hit the end of the leash a few times and was bordering on uncontrolable beast for what seemed like an eternity but was probably less than a minute. After she stopped barking she was still very antsy, prancing, pulling on the leash, snorting and trying to get to Buddy. I did my best to stay relaxed, pretend they weren't a few steps in front of us and just remind her not to pull (like I would on any other walk).
I am happy to report that within a 1/2 block she had calmed down considerably. On block #2 we were able to move up and walk beside them! We walked beside them!!!! That is something that was unheard of just last month. I've gotten her to where she'll tolerate the dogs in the obedience class we sometimes visit (don't agree with the trainers techniques but do appreciate that she allows us to crash her class for socialization) and she's okay if we pass a dog at a distance on walks but NEVER have we been able to walk with another dog just inches from her in a casual setting.
We still have a lot of work to do but progress is being made and I have to brag :) I was armed with my clicker and lots o hotdogs - the basket muzzle is big enough that I can easily still give her treats. I clicked and treated every time she was obviously indifferent to Buddy or when she gave me her attention.
Buddy was a saint and just kind of shrugged his shoulder at the crazy Doberkid who was acting like a nut - he did not react to her at all.
There are a few dog centered activities coming up this summer on the base and I plan on taking Chi to all of them (with the muzzle in the name of safety and my sanity :). One of them is Dog Days at the base pool. The last day of summer before school starts and before they drain the pool for the year, they open it up for dogs (how cool is that??). It's still a couple months away but I'd love to be able to take her to that and enjoy it.
She is such a smart dog. It took maybe 5 repitions of asking her to "finish" after she returned the frisbee before I threw it again before she was doing it automatically - not many people can brag their dogs are that smart (unless of course their dog is a Doberman). I know that all I have to do is convey to her what I want, I've just had some problems figuring out how to convey everything.
Sorry this is so long. As always, I appreciate any and all advice and feedback - I really don't know where we'd be now if it weren't for all the great info I've gotten here :)

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I don't for one minute believe my Chi has aggression issues,butter would not melt in her mouth!! Seriously though Tracy you are right it is a big step and like you say you need to push on now and try it with different dogs,Good luck!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
yay Chi!!! great work! You bought the click to calm book right? I should read that for coco. Sounds like she did great with Buddy and I agree with Brum that it is hard to see that that sweet face of chi has any aggression at all :) I don't remember if I heard this from this forum or not...but I heard that if you are nervous...dogs can pick up on that...and so if you chew mint gum it hides your nervousness that may have an affect on chi when you handle her. I think someone told me they do this for shows...worth a try maybe...
yeah its nerve wrecking with coco cause I don't trust him...and its hard to find people that are willing to help you out. I know if I lived by you tracy I would help you out too like your neighbor did :)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Good job Chi! It's great to see when the work starts to pay off. That is really neat about the pool party. Sounds like it would be a welcoming blast.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
WOOOHOOO Chi!!! Keep up the good work!! I have GOT to get my butt in gear and start working with Lexus some more. We haven't been in our OB classes since last fall, and she is showing that she is less social then she was when we had our classes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts