Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we did it, made through the first year!! Its been a crazy year too!

What have I learned as a first time dober?

a) these dogs cannot do anything that does not involve you, including you going out and just watching them pee
b) if they are doing something on the own, you probably won't like what they are doing, so refer back to a)
c) YOU also can't do anything on your own, without them helping, which really amounts to them getting in the way or trying to steal what ever you are using
d) what ever you have in your hands, they want right away, refer back to c)
e) whenever they get up in the morning, you also have to get up...sigh, refer back to a)
f) and never, never ever, stay kneeled on the ground trying to get that picture, cause they will body check you and leave you flat on your back!! (yah, duh, I learned the hard way:oops::oops:) ... but I saved the camera!!

We can slowly see the adult she is growing into. My girl has not become a lady yet. Breeder told me not to worry, she'll go into heat when she is ready and that her girls tend to go late.

I'm hoping to get her into some classes again now that my work schedule is settling down to more normal. We've been working on her all summer on our own and we both think we've done pretty good. She still pulls on leash, but that's probably a long haul work in progress.

We take her everywhere and people are always surprised how good natured and well behaved she is. People have guessed her to be everything from a chocolate Lab to a Greyhound. Good guess, not! :rolleyes::rolleyes: We've also heard all the stories from people about how she will turn two and bite you face off. That's usually from some person who's own dog is frothing at the end of the leash while she sits beside us. Yah, ok, whatever. One cop we met, told us she was small for a male. Umm, that one surprised us, I mean, not like there is any hair hiding the equipment. Maybe observation isn't his thing. :ROFLMAO:

She has come along way from the shy covid puppy that went through two long lockdowns. Is she prefect, not on your life! We still threaten her at times with a trip to the shelter and a sleep on a cement slab overnight. But really, we can't imagine life without her.

6 weeks
Dog Dog breed Liver Carnivore Working animal

8 weeks
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver Working animal

13 weeks
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Dog supply Fawn

Dog Dog breed Working animal Carnivore Collar

5 months
Dog Snow Dog breed Carnivore Dog supply

6 months
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Fence Liver

10 1/2 months
Dog Dog supply Dog breed Carnivore Liver

1 year with her new Chilly Dog coat for her birthday!! It was a rainy day and it kept her body dry!
Dog Dog supply Dog breed Carnivore Fawn

Dog Plant Flower Dog breed Carnivore

·
Super Moderator
22,678 Posts
Congrats on surviving year one! :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congratulations!!

You forgot "Don't try to move out of the way when they're buzzing you--let them do the swerving (they usually will.) And always keep your knees bent."
Lol, I totally expected her to swerve around me as she usually does, but that day when I was kneeling down a total body slam put me down flat, upon which she then jumped on me. I saw stars to be honest and ouch. Once I finally managed to get up, well I couldn't stop laughing at my stupidity cause at my age you'd think I'd know better. At least the field was on the softer side, what's a little dirt anyway.

·
Premium Member
11,822 Posts
Congrats ! LOL To me , the true enjoyment of having a Dober , is to raise it from a puppy , Look at all the stories you would miss down the road , like the laying on your back , sorry here , but rotflol .

She is so pretty !!!

Again , congrats on your milestone : ))

·
Registered
366 Posts
We got our dogs at 10 months and one year and are forever grateful to the strangers that trained them both to be so respectful inside the house. Bella and Loki NEVER have chewed or destroyed or stole anything. Even cooked chicken or steak from the kitchen counter<><> I wish I knew the secret training protocol that we have benefitted from with these 2 amazing rescues! Someday I'll have a puppy..... maybe....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Great photos of a beautiful dog. We're approaching month 11 ourselves with Hope, who bears a resemblance to your girl, and this:

a) these dogs cannot do anything that does not involve you, including you going out and just watching them pee
b) if they are doing something on the own, you probably won't like what they are doing, so refer back to a)
c) YOU also can't do anything on your own, without them helping, which really amounts to them getting in the way or trying to steal what ever you are using
e) whenever they get up in the morning, you also have to get up...sigh, refer back to a)
f) and never, never ever, stay kneeled on the ground trying to get that picture, cause they will body check you and leave you flat on your back!! (yah, duh, I learned the hard way:oops::oops:) ... but I saved the camera!!
Is absolute gospel. I'm a big/heavy dude, and the few times that Hope failed to veer off and barreled full-wack into me resulted in both of us seeing stars. At least the hit was hard enough for him to learn that it's in his best interests to avoid both me and the heavy DSLR/telephoto combo.

Also, again just like you said, we'd be lost without him.

Awesome stuff. May you all have a long lifetime of love and fun together!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, we did it, made through the first year!! Its been a crazy year too!

What have I learned as a first time dober?

We can slowly see the adult she is growing into. My girl has not become a lady yet. Breeder told me not to worry, she'll go into heat when she is ready and that her girls tend to go late.

I'm hoping to get her into some classes again now that my work schedule is settling down to more normal. We've been working on her all summer on our own and we both think we've done pretty good. She still pulls on leash, but that's probably a long haul work in progress.

We take her everywhere and people are always surprised how good natured and well behaved she is. People have guessed her to be everything from a chocolate Lab to a Greyhound. Good guess, not! :rolleyes::rolleyes: We've also heard all the stories from people about how she will turn two and bite you face off. That's usually from some person who's own dog is frothing at the end of the leash while she sits beside us. Yah, ok, whatever. One cop we met, told us she was small for a male. Umm, that one surprised us, I mean, not like there is any hair hiding the equipment. Maybe observation isn't his thing. :ROFLMAO:

She has come along way from the shy covid puppy that went through two long lockdowns. Is she prefect, not on your life! We still threaten her at times with a trip to the shelter and a sleep on a cement slab overnight. But really, we can't imagine life without her.

6 weeks
View attachment 141918

8 weeks
View attachment 141922

13 weeks
View attachment 141927
View attachment 141928

5 months
View attachment 141929

6 months
View attachment 141930

10 1/2 months
View attachment 141931

1 year with her new Chilly Dog coat for her birthday!! It was a rainy day and it kept her body dry!
View attachment 141932

View attachment 141933

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had 6 Dobes over a period of 40 years sometimes singles sometimes in pairs, 2 males 4 females. I currently am the proud Dad of two little girls, it's an ongoing love affair with these magnificent dogs.

I absolutely agree with your observations and would like to add a story and an observation.

My story:
My first Dobe, a male named Max, was 8 weeks when he came to live with us. The house we lived in at the tim had a short, about 10', hallway leading from the front door to the rest of the house. When max reached 1 year of age, entering the house at night, after having been gone for a few hours was hazardous to your health. The scenario dark outside and in the house, open the door, hear feet running then stop (it meant he was airborne), then brace for the impact, he knocked me half way across my front yard on time.

My Observation
Almost all of my Dobes changed dramatically at 2 yrs. It was like turning on a light before 2 life was one big party with plenty of wrestling, after 2 they realized they were adults and shouldn't be quite so rambunctious life was easier for me then. Not quite a breeze, because they still had their moments, but a bit less likely to cause injury. However, none of them lost the Velcro characteristic Dobes are famous for.

·
Registered
I now have a 15 yr old Yorkie, yes I know a big difference from a Dobie.
45 Posts
I have had 6 Dobes over a period of 40 years sometimes singles sometimes in pairs, 2 males 4 females. I currently am the proud Dad of two little girls, it's an ongoing love affair with these magnificent dogs.

I absolutely agree with your observations and would like to add a story and an observation.

My story:
My first Dobe, a male named Max, was 8 weeks when he came to live with us. The house we lived in at the tim had a short, about 10', hallway leading from the front door to the rest of the house. When max reached 1 year of age, entering the house at night, after having been gone for a few hours was hazardous to your health. The scenario dark outside and in the house, open the door, hear feet running then stop (it meant he was airborne), then brace for the impact, he knocked me half way across my front yard on time.

My Observation
Almost all of my Dobes changed dramatically at 2 yrs. It was like turning on a light before 2 life was one big party with plenty of wrestling, after 2 they realized they were adults and shouldn't be quite so rambunctious life was easier for me then. Not quite a breeze, because they still had their moments, but a bit less likely to cause injury. However, none of them lost the Velcro characteristic Dobes are famous for.

·
Registered
I now have a 15 yr old Yorkie, yes I know a big difference from a Dobie.
45 Posts
Luv ur sense of humor...oooops that's factual. My girl w/b 6 months tomorrow and I feel ur pain and luv for our Dobies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sadie bear is my 1st dobie after many other breeds and i'm hooked. She is 10 months oct 24th and what a wild time its been. She has not only been the most challenging dog but also the most rewarding dog to raise. She pushes me to the point of wanting to murder her but then lays her long nose across my chest at bed time, look at me with those soft black eyes and all is forgiven. I also have an 8 year old Staffy but the bond between me and my dobie is the stuff they write pomes about. I cant wait to see the adult dog she becomes but without a doubt will get another Dobie pup to keep the crazy rolling!
Shoulder Mouth Beard Muscle Neck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts