Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

We start obedience training this Saturday

1K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  brumwolf 
#1 ·
So, everyone cross your fingers for me. Bumpy and I start obedience training this Saturday. I had the introduction this past Saturday when just the owners attended the training. There are ten dogs in the class and I really liked what the trainer demonstrated. He had past graduates there and I was impressed. He used to breed Dobermans so I am hoping that means he is very familiar with their personalities. I would assume so. There are a bunch of small dogs in the group so I am hoping that mine behaves. Wish me luck and I will keep everyone posted. My bf is going to be on tour for the summer, so this gives the Bumpmeister and I something productive to do and hopefully things will go well and we won't be kicked out of class :)

#6 ·
lanabana, let me give you a piece of advice. Since this is your first class with bumpy let me say don't let it stop with just one set of classes. We as instructors are showing you how to train your dog. I teach obedience and you will find when we are instructing you what to do and how to do it you are so focused on yourself & your dog and doing it right. That when you start a second set of classes you should at that point know what to do with yourself and can focus totally on the dog. It will also make you feel great because you can see the new beginners and remember how you felt and then look at yourself and see how far you have come. But remember take a minimum of 15 min. a day to do your homework, if you can do this 2 X a day that would be even better. No more than 15 min. or the pup can start turning you off at that point. Also remember we (instructors) can tell if you have done your homework!!!! This is also a very bonding time with your pup.
So go out there and have a great time!!!!!!

#10 ·
The way the graduate dogs were focused on their owners was amazing to me. They learn heel on leash, figure 8, stand for examination, heel free, recall (with a lunge line), long sit and long down. I can't wait!!!!! It is going to be so great when I can get Bumpy to focus on me because that means I can walk him without worrying about other dogs in yards and Bumps going crazy (at least that is my hope). This will be my first time using a choke collar, so he and I have been practicing in the back yard. He is such a good boy when he has no distractions, but really doesn't listen too well to me when there are distractions - which of course there are whenever you go out of the house. Plus, I need the training too because I really let him get away with things that he would never even try to do with my boyfriend (and I know better). I will definately take pics and hopefully will come back with a shining report. I can't wait! And I do plan on moving forward with the next training course once we pass this one.

#11 ·
Yeah i like obedience too...You just really have to work on getting the dog pepped up about it. Duchess likes when I have kinda a bounce in my step...I think she is kinda bored with obedience after 3 years of it...so when she sees me all pepped up about it with quick but natural corrections and encouragement she all of sudden thinks Im playing with her. haha.

The human is the main thing to train for any type of training haha!

I remember when Duchess was a puppy and trying to heel! haha oh boy! I remember constantly leading her with the treat in front of the nose which i hate! after awhile another trainer told us to put the treat in our mouth and that is sooo much better! but she still tries to get me to lead her around with my hand haha she can be very stubborn and can act dumb cause she is too smart ;) lol

have fun with it :)

#12 ·
As I watch Griffith Park burning only 10 minutes from my house, I can just hope that Bumpy will even have training on Saturday as this is where his training is held. So scary to watch a huge and beautiful park in the middle of Los Angeles burning uncontrollably due to a possible arsonist.

#13 ·
Yeah, I heard someone fell asleep while smoking?????

#15 ·
Good luck! I know it has to be much, much different with a pup. Rudi and I are going into our 5th out of 6 weeks of intermediate and there are only 2 other dogs in our class. There really should not be any reason they would kick you out of class! unless he gets too aggressive.......and then again I'm sure there is a special class for that......We want to see the cap and gown picture when he's done....LOL!

Take lots of good treats and a favorite toy..

#16 ·
Well, the crazy boy just turned 16 months old, so I hope he decides to be nice to the other dogs.....and doesn't decide that he needs to be king of the group. But that is just my nervousness, it should all be fine. He is such a smart boy and I know that once I get him to focus he will excel.

#18 ·
Bumpy was a good boy on his first day of obedience training. There were about 15 other dogs, two of which were Dobies. Several males were not neutered and Bumpy did not pay attention to them at all, which was really good. It was his first time working with a choke chain and he adapted really well. His focus was on me and he really had an easy time following instruction. It was a little harder today when we practiced and he tried bucking like a bronco when we worked on his "down" which he is normally good at, but tomorrow is another day of practice. Pictures will follow next week, I promise.

#20 ·
Yep remember the exercises they put you through then practise them at home and remember to enjoy yourself and get really excited when Bumpy does things right, then he will always want to do it right to please mom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.