Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Forager
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to wait a week before posting this:

Sasha, our 4 1/2-year-old red dobe, died on Feb. 1. She was fighting Immune-mediated hemolytic anemia (IMHA) for 6 weeks. I believe--as does the vet--that she also suffered from cardiomyopathy and pooling of blood in the lungs--both of which were the cause of the extreme discomfort she suffered in the last two days of her life. There was no quality of life left.

Ironically, her last two blood tests--the last one done just a few days before--revealed normal levels in all categories, save her liver panel, which can be explained by the prednisone she had taken for 6 weeks. For weeks she was beating back IMHA: growing stronger and more alert, immensely improving her lab values. Then, suddenly, her breathing suffered, her heartbeat became muffled, her lung and heart sounds grew cacaphonous and chatotic, and, on that last morning, blood dripped from her nose. Our vet, who worked so hard with us, said that a truly painful death was imminent, so we agreed to have her euthanized then.

We "rescued" Sasha from a neglectful owner 7 months ago. The day after we got her, a vet informed us that she needed double cruciate ligament repair, that Xrays showed significant arthritis in both knees, her spine, and hips--to a degree more reminiscent of an 11-year-old than a 4 1/2-year-old. Prior to having the surgery, however, she suffered from an abdominal infection that required weeks of antibiotic therapy. Once she was safely recovered from that, she received the simultaneous bilateral knee surgery, which went well.

4 1/2 months into recovery--her knees probably at 75% strength--she contracted IMHA, which quickly devestated her already-compromised hind legs. As during the first 3 months of her knee surgery recovery, my wife and I again spent every night sleeping next to her on an inflatable bed in our mud room, nearest the back door should she need to get out to the back yard to pee or to poop.

The last 6 weeks of her life consisted of the powerful medications, her weakness, her courage, our fears, our grudging optimism, and our eventual painful resignation--all cloaked in a mutual affection and intimacy that I will cherish forever.

My wife and I want to thank everyone who so kindly commented on the other theads I started about Sasha.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
My sincerest condolences to you and your family. My heart goes out to you, knowing what it's like to so intensively nurse such a special dog, and then be suddenly bereft.

(((hugs)))) to you all.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I can empathize with your pain and sorrow for your loss. I wish there were words to give you that could ease your pain, but this is a path that we all face at one time or another. It's been 10 months since we had to say good bye to one of our own and my heart is with you.

RIP Sweet Sasha.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
So very sorry for your loss of Sasha.
She sounds like she was much loved in your home.
4 1/2 is much too young, run pain free Sasha.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
We are very very sorry for your loss. Run wild and free Girl. You gave her so much love and care.
Don't worry she is not alone. She is running wild and free, in no pain, like a puppy again with all the other pets on the other side of Rainbow Bridge. Some day she will be waiting. Memories last forever.
RIP Sasha

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
So sorry to hear this - I'm so glad that at the end of her life, she found love, bless you. My condolences.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Im very sorry for your loss! Rest in Peace Sasha

Reactions: forager and Sherryh

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss. Bless you for being such a special person and for giving Shasha a wonderful time with you. She was one lucky girl that you opened your heart to her. Sending you a special Dober Hug.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I am so deeply sorry for your loss. Thank you for rescuing Sasha and giving her all the love she had missed before and then some. Bless you for taking such good care of her and fighting for her. She is at peace now and waiting for you. That is, when she is not playing with her new buddies!:) (((hugs)))

1 - 20 of 55 Posts