Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....a Boston Terrier :clap2:

Please don't be mad! My husband has been wanting a dog to be "his"...I'm always off with the girls doing stuff, and while he's supportive, he has ZERO interest in competing. So I've felt like he's been left out, and he misses having a dog to "hang" with. Anyhow, we were searching on Petfinder over the weekend for small dogs (he doesn't want another big dog) and we found this cutie who was an owner surrender - the owner is dying of AIDS and cannot care for him anymore. His name is Ollie and he's 3 years old, and so cute. Even better news is that it sounds like he will fit in with our family very well. They say he's a follower and needs an alpha dog to show him what to do...my girls will be more than happy to help! And he bonds very strongly with the male member of the family, which will be perfect since he's going to be my husband's dog.

So can you all keep your fingers and paws crossed that this works out? We had a home visit earlier today and so we should be meeting him this weekend.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I've wanted a Boston Terrier for years, ever since a Boston puppy crawled into my lap at a fun match. I was in love. The situation just hasn't been right for me to get one, tho. Best of luck to you in getting Ollie as a new member of your family.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Oh god nooo! those things are insane:tongue23:
My friend has one with a blue eye,strangest dog I have ever met.
they have the strangest personalaties,like they are half cat!

Hope all goes well!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
awww those bostons are cute! one of the cooler (and cuter) looking small dogs in my opinion:) Dont forget your camera when you go to meet him! How sad about the owner...I hope everything works out with Ollie so that he can have your happy home! :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not going so well....

We picked him up on Saturday and he really likes us......but things aren't peachy with him and the girls. I think Storm thought he was a cat, right from the start.....and so is completely ignoring him. Because, well, cats aren't very interesting to her. In our house, anyway. They don't do much. Ava freaked out when she met Ollie...hackles, teeth, growling. I think she thinks he's an alien. A day later we try to let Ava and Ollie play in the yard with us (no Storm b/c I still have her on lead since I'm worried about her knee). They had a big "discussion" regarding the tennis ball and boy it was UGLY. I have never seen Ava act like that, and yes she's had to share toys, we've had other dogs in our yard before, etc. And Ollie, who we were told was very submissive....not so much. He basically leaped on her head and tried to attack her from there. Hmm. So our trial period is not going so well. I will not have my girls concerned/annoyed by Ollie the rest of their lives, and they had us first. Unless this situation gets a LOT better, he will be going back to rescue in a few days.:sadcry:

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
So sorry to hear things aren't as peachy yet. Hopefully, you can hang in there and get everybody in line. I have heard it may take a while before things can calm down. Its a new adjusting period for everyone. You have my best wishes.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Are Ava and Storm used to having strange dogs in their home? Are they used to little dogs? Why would you say that you think Ava thinks he's an alien? Does he breathe loudly or snort (like a pug), or have some other weird way about him that would spook her?

How and where did they first meet Ollie?

"They had a big "discussion" regarding the tennis ball and boy it was UGLY." Who? All 3 of them? Who had the ball first? Who started the aggression and how? Were the dogs involved reprimanded? You have to make it clear to the dogs that fighting will not be tolerated. You have to assert yourself as the top dog who sets the rules and makes sure they are being followed. Being the alpha is important for any dog owner, but it becomes even more crucial the second you start building a dog pack (ie. having multiple dogs).
If I was introducing a new dog I would keep any toys out of it untill the dogs have proven themselves that they are getting along so far. I especially would not be introducing toys, and even be very careful with giving treats if the dogs have ALREADY shown signs of friction. In this situation toys do nothing but cause problems.

Ok, sorry, just reading that your girls have had other dogs over before. Is this something that happens on a regular basis?

"And Ollie, who we were told was very submissive....not so much. "
He is a Boston. They're cute, but don't forget they are terriers. Do you know just how much of an evaluation the rescue did with Ollie? Was he in a foster home, or did he come to you directly from his previous owner's? When he lived with his owner, how often was he socialized with other dogs and to what extent? When he was in the hands of the rescue, how much was he exposed to and what sort of testing did he go through to be labeled as sumissive.

Also keep in mind the little guy is probably stressed. Depending on what he is like with dogs (big and small) in general, being put into a home where 2 large females already reside could have put him on the defensive.

·
Registered
89 Posts
"Ollie...hackles, teeth, growling. I think she thinks he's an alien. A day later we try to let Ava and Ollie play in the yard with us (no Storm b/c I still have her on lead since I'm worried about her knee). They had a big "discussion" regarding the tennis ball and boy it was UGLY. I have never seen Ava act like that, and yes she's had to share toys, we've had other dogs in our yard before, etc."

You may find this article/podcast helpful:

http://www.leerburg.com/introducingdogs.htm

In essence, the article says you have to be the dominant pack leader and not tolerate your older dogs attacking or dominating the new dog.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I would maybe take them to "neutral" ground like the park. Maybe they just need to figure out who's boss.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
TwoDobieGirls said:
. I think Storm thought he was a cat, right from the start.....and so is completely ignoring him. Because, well, cats aren't very interesting to her. In our house, anyway. They don't do much.

I only wish this were the case at my house. The kitty is always interesting :)

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Zucker, I meant between the two dogs.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
How's it going now? Any progress?

A wise and wonderful woman passed this link onto me (;)) and I've thoroughly benifited from the information.... I realize there is a million and one training methods and thoughts out there, but a lot of this made sense, and you may get something out of it...
http://www.flyingdogpress.com/aggreasons.html
http://www.flyingdogpress.com/aggressionbasics.html

VERY GOOD ONE HERE!
---- http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html

Give it some time and some serious thought, sometimes these things just don't work, no matter how much we want them too. Dogs are like people to some extent and will have "disagreements", and sometimes it can be worked out with the proper training and watchfulness. Best wishes and keep us updated.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Lexus, I have read lots of articles from this site, very interesting.:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for your comments and the link to articles. I know everyone is trying to be helpful and I appreciate that. We can't all know about all of our experiences in one or two posts, so I'll try to fill in some more gaps.

Storm and Ava are fairly highly trained dogs, who have also both been socialized with other dogs (of all sizes) and people since birth. They have had dogs of comparable size and also dogs of much smaller stature in their home, in their yard, and seen and played with the same mixture of dogs at our training club. They both work reliably off lead even when excited by toys, food and/or agility equipment. They both reliably come when called, immediately, even while excited, and both reliably "leave it", whatever "it" may be, when commanded. I am their alpha and they are completely aware of that fact. I've worked very hard with them and I do not doubt that there is something "off" here. I know my dogs and Ava has NEVER reacted in this manner, and never reacted in a way even close to this manner. Zucker, I said "Ava thinks he's an alien" as more of a description of how violent her reaction was, as though there was something terribly wrong.

Ollie does not snort like a Pug might, or do anything different than any other dogs they have been around and/or played with. They were introduced, individually, on neutral turf before bringing him home with us and a red flag went up there between Ava and Ollie. In hindsight I should have paid more attention to their initial reactions to each other. Many of us wish we could have followed hindsight...unfortunately too often!

As far as Ollie's personality, he was in a foster home between us and his previous owner. The owner gave him up due to illness and the foster family reported no friction between Ollie and the other dog(s) in the house. I do not know what kind of dog(s) were in the house with him. We were told that he was very passive, submissive and quiet, even during the transition period when he went to his foster family.

Tonight he and Ava had another confrontation that did not involve a toy or food. She reacted in the same violent manner as she did outside, as though it were a life and death situation. When it was over (we each grabbed one of them by the collar to separate them), she leaped into my lap shaking. Ollie snapped at my husband as he went to pull him away.

I don't know if any of you ever get a bad feeling about a person. I am a born skeptic and don't have much time for those sorts of "feelings", but there is a person involved in an aspect of my life whom I've taken a great dislike to. When I say dislike, I don't mean I hate this person. I have every reason to like this person. Friendly, well liked by others involved in this activity, etc, but I get a horrible feeling whenever I am in conversation or in near proximity to this person. I can't shake the feeling and now do my best to avoid contact. I now feel like Ava has got the same feeling about Ollie. She can't explain it, we like him so she doesn't know why she doesn't like him....she just doesn't. Maybe that sounds crazy to some of you, and it would sound crazy to me were I not experiencing the same thing with a person right now.

·
Registered
880 Posts
TDG, I know exactly what you're talking about!

My honest bit of advice to you, follow your gut feeling. If deep inside you don't think things will work with Ollie, give him back. I realize that's a hard choice to make, but if you do honestly deep down inside feel that, it might be the better choice in the long run. I do believe that as the pack leader, you do have an obligation not to put your dogs through unnecessary stress or harm. If you think they will not get allong with this dog (you can obviously make a better judgement call on that) it's better for them (and you) if you look for a different dog to join your familly.

I fostered a dog once who from the second I met, I had a bad feeling about her. I just brushed it off, but never felt like I could trust her 100%, there was just *something* about her. Like you said, you can't put it in words. She was with me for about a month, and this might be entirely unrelated, but a dog that was very closely bonded to me never liked her the entire time. I couldn't figure out what the problem between them was, as I said, could be completely unrelated. Exactly one month after comming into my home she tried to attack me and actually managed to get me cornered. If her leash wasn't cought on something I'm sure I would have been bitten.

Trust your gut feelings. I think often times our minds observe and collect minute data which our subconcious analyzes and makes a decision on. These feelings are quick reactions based on perhaps past experiences or things you notice, but you don't have a concious thought pattern about.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
i think that things have gone really too fast - in many instances, were blessed that some dogs get along. ive brought three dogs home after brief meetings at a shelter/rescue - literally some of them only involved walking a dog down the road with the other - and they were best of friends at home.

ive also had a dog that loves other dogs, react very poorly with proper introductions were skipped.

with a new dog in the picture, there should be NO toys out with them - in their second meeting, there was already something to fight over (A tennis ball).

can the situation work? definitely - but that doesnt mean you will have dogs you can leave loose with each other. you may simply be able to get them to tolerate each other, or just ignore each other. i would start immediately with training, crating and rotating, rewarding for good behavior in the presence of the other dog, and calm behavior with each other.

NO resources should be availabel to guard. no food, no toys, NOTHING.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
trust your feelings and listen to them.
I have learned this is very important in life.

Sometimes you might have to keep dogs seperated for awhile, so they can see each other but not be thrown together right away if there are issues, proper intro's as Kim said. An ex-pen would help, a 4 foot one. Bostons are very cute dogs, I have a special place in my heart for them and French Bulldogs (someday, someday).

But def. trust your feelings and listen to your feelings and what your resident dogs are trying to tell you about how they feel about the situation, watch everything and everyone closely, nothing is too little to take and make a mental note of for later. Best of luck with everything. The site Lexus shared with you is a great one and can help as well. I know this must be so hard on you. Hang in there.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Lexus said:
How's it going now? Any progress?

A wise and wonderful woman passed this link onto me (;)) and I've thoroughly benifited from the information.... I realize there is a million and one training methods and thoughts out there, but a lot of this made sense, and you may get something out of it...
http://www.flyingdogpress.com/aggreasons.html
http://www.flyingdogpress.com/aggressionbasics.html

VERY GOOD ONE HERE!
---- http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html
HA! I knew you'd love that site as much as I do!!! Another very wise woman here posted the link some time ago and I have read and reread every article there several times!
If nothing else, the first paragraph or two of "Say Hi" is great for a laugh! :)

I hope everything works out - but am very much with the group and think you should "trust your gut" - you know your girls better than anyone and are probably very good at reading them. It can be very difficult to introduce adults into an already established pack - sometimes, it's down right impossible. We all don't like and get along with everyone we meet, even though we are perfectly amiable otherwise - it would be unfair for us to expect our dogs to love everyone/thing we think they should.

Petri is very selective on which dogs he likes and doesn't. I remember when I drove home with Chi in the car, I prayed the whole way... "Please, God, let Petri like this puppy..." We fostered a "malti-poo" in Minot for about a month and it was a month of hell for all involved - Petri just didn't like Moose (a female but that was here name). OTOH, he loved Snickers, a little Min-Pin we babysat. Funny thing was that to me, Moose and Snickers had identical temperments and personalities and seemed to act/react to Petri the exact same way.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts