Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how often can you wash a dobe? or how often should you wash your dobe? their not exactly the best breed that tolerates water, ye you do have a couple who love it, but this is mostly when they want it, and thats probs a lil dip in the pond.

any tips in making a dobe like having a bath?
how often can this be done?
special treatment?

i herd a little fish oil is very good for their coat gives it a shine.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
******* is 11 months old and I have only bathed her 3 times. The last time was because she was covered in mud. I do curry her twice a week which helps get the dirt out. Bathing to often and they can suffer from dry skin. I use a very mild dog shampoo and spray her with a coat conditioner after. She get's safflower oil, vit. E, and a few other supplements to her food.

Reactions: vix

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
We dont wash our's very often at all. Maybe a couple of times a year. Their skin really does not tolerate to be washed to frequently. If I notice that they are carrying around a little too much dirt I take a damp cloth and wipe them down. When we do bathe them it is with an oatmeal shampoo. Our last dobie had a lot of skin problems and we would add Omega fatty acid liquid to his food and it helped out a great deal. Titus and Jada really dont need it so we don't add it to their food. Also if we bathe them outside (the only time we dont is in the winter) we just put them on a lead. If you dont have someone to help you just step on the lead so that they can not go any where.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Mensa gets rinsed off with the garden hose about twice a week, usually right before we go somewhere she is going to be meeting people. She likes to roll in the dirt and get really dusty but she looks like a million bucks after she gets rinsed off.

She's only had one or two real baths (with soap) in her life.

You want to wash them in cool water, probably cooler than you think, because they get flaky skin when washed in water too warm.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh rite, because i want my dobe clean, is their any perfumes to keep a dobe smelling fresh or is this bad?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Tip #1) Brush before bath, and then after when dry. Try not to brush while wet.

Tip #2) Use only a small amount of Shampoo. Instead of putting the shampoo stright on your dog, place a cap full or two into a bowl and fill that with water. Use a wash cloth or sponge to dip into bowl and then scrub your dog.

Tip #3) Cut nails after bath while they are soft.

Tip #4) To help treat dry coat/skin. Use a few capsules of Vit E oil in a bowl, add hot water for a hot oil bath. (Let cool a bit before use)

Tip #5) Clean ears before bath, use ear powder after bath.

Now you got a clean Pup!

Reactions: JavasMom and vix

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ours goes to the groomer 1 a month. Wash and nail clip. He's fine, doesn't dry him out or any of that hoey.

Loves it too. Can't tell him he's going until your absolutely ready to deal with a doberwacko.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Every couple of months or so I use a little bit of HyLyt shampoo to bath Bella. Although most of her baths she just gets wiped off with a baby wipe or if she is real dirty I will spray her off with the water hose.

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
I think there have been a couple other threads about this - do a search and you'll come up with more info.

We've give Red 2 baths so far - one the day after he came home from the breeder because he smelled kinda funky, and the other like 2 weeks later. Basically we just used lukewarm water as a rinse and took a half-dollar-sized portion of gentle shampoo and rubbed it down him in the direction that his hair grows - no scrubbing or anything. And then rinsed really well. Just a short rinse down bath to make him smell a bit better. :)

·
Banned
61 Posts
Don't your have dogshampoo in the USA? Over here you can buy dogshampoo so your dogs skin wouldn dry out to much and there are not so much parfume in it( it still smell great :p). And the hint of mixing your shampoo with a bit of water first is a good one! You spend less of shampoo and it foams better at your dog. Zohran is 8months now and we have washed him ( in the shower) 2 times, both times because he was covered in sh*t because he was ill...

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Oh yes Annelies, we have a billion choices in dog shampoo here, HAhahahaha.

When Orson was smaller I would bath him AT LEAST every month when Phoebe got her bath. He sleeps in the bed with us and my hubby liked the "fresh clean" scent. He never had any skin issues until his little bald spot appeared on his nubby.

After that episode, he only gets bathed every few months. I put extra fabric softener in our sheets so Hubby can get the "fresh clean" scent for longer :)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I asked this question also a couple of months ago! I believe you shouldn't bathe your dobie too often as it can harm their skin. What i do with Tia is wipe her down with a wash leather 2-3 times a week and brush her nearly daily.

When I do bathe her I just use a puppy shampoo.

She absolutely loves it in the bath - all the pampering - she's a proper little girl!!

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Petey is 7 months and has yet to have a bath. He swims every day in a pond where I run him. My Weim Uno had 3 baths in 8 years, all due to a skunk! Mason never got a bath. My dogs have always had beautiful non greasy coats, so I never saw the need.

Carol & Petey!

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
We bathe the girls twice a year but in between i use a water spray and baby wipes to keep them clean.I did suggest a cool wash setting in the washing machine but wifey was having none of it :( :):):)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
when our washing machine is on the fritz, (pollo usually needs the 15 minute soak) we drag them up into our shower - it is a big two shower head walk-in deal - and EVERYBODY gets wet.

we really don't bathe much a few times a year tops, lately pollo has been rolling in the dirt and we can sometimes brush him down or have to hose him off. fortuantely he won't touch the mud due to the water in it.

I don't think you will need any kind of perfume, Vix. I find that our dobes don't really smell (I know, I know, but their poop does!). my mother has even commented that she can't believe that our house doesn't smell like dog with two in the house. All the dobes I have known don't really smell and if you bury your nose in their fur, they smell pretty nice.

but that's just me.....

cc

1 - 20 of 31 Posts