Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Housetraining problem arose this morning and I want to see how you all think I handled it. One thing I strive for in training is consistancy and my wife thinks I took it too far this morning. The last thing I do before we go to bed is take Karma out and the first thing I do in the morning is take her out. This is always between 6:30 and 8:00 and without fail, she always pees and craps, _always_, without exception. This summer I've been extremely lucky because except for once or twice the weather has been perfect... until this morning.

Karma has never liked being out in the rain and this morning it was raining pretty hard. The one or two times this has happened before we would just walk along the side of the house until she did her thing. No big deal as she didn't get too wet. This morning the wind was pretty strong so no matter where we were, we got rained on. She quickly peed but after that she was determined to go back inside. And I mean _determined_.

Now my wife has to get up every morning at 5:00 and the weekends are the only time she gets to sleep in. Usually I take Karma out when she wakes up and put her back in her crate with a cheese bone so we can sleep in until ~10. Our bedroom is on the side of the house and I didn't want to wake her up saying, "Karma go potty" right outside the window.

So we walked around in the yard, in the pouring rain, for almost an hour and a half until she finally crapped. During this time, she whined, tugged/lunged on the leash, shivered and was generally a _very_ unhappy camper. I must have said the word potty at least a thousand times and that's no exageration. When she finally went, I praised her profusely and we _ran_ back into the house. I gave her a cheese bone and crated her, as usual.

After taking off my clothes, drying off and changing underware (I was that soaked) I crawled back in bed. My wife looked at the clock, looked up at me and said, "Where ya been". I told her the story and she laughed her ass off and said I was nuts for not just putting her back in her crate after she peed.

My reasoning was if she didn't get used to crapping in the rain now, what was going to happen in winter with freezing rain, snow, etc. I also thought that she should get used to being with me, even in inclement weather, as we go camping and hiking a lot. I was calm, patient and reassuring to her but I was also adamant that we weren't going to go in until she crapped, as she _always_ has first thing in the morning. Remember, consistancy is what I strive for in training.

So there you have it. Was I nuts, stupid or did I do the right thing?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I would say you did the right thing. I am not an expert by any means when it comes to house breaking as I have never done it.

Just one thing though. Didn't you know dobermans will melt in the rain? :) Also Gracie loves snow. Winter is her most favoriate season. She plays in the snows bites the snow, slides in it. She just has a dog of a time. :)

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
It's right what GM said,it is a little known fact that dobermans do "melt in the rain" or at least to see some of them you would think somebody had told them they do.
For the record you did the right thing,my lot go out to the field at 6am whatever the weather!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Personally, I think you're either nuts or VERY committed to housebreaking your girl. I would have given her a couple minutes and then put her back in her kennel, that still conveys the message of "you have to do your business before you get freedom" but would have done little good on getting her used to being out in inclement weather.
I have found, in the rain (and God knows we get enough of it over here) that leaving the yard for a real walk, goes over much better than just walking around in the yard for both dogs. For some reason they don't mind the rain so much if we're walking around the neighborhood rather than just walking around the yard.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I have to give it to you for being persistant even when you were uncomfortable. The lesson she learned in my opinion is that as soon as she did do her number 2 business you went inside immediately which shows her that if it is raining the quicker she is done the quicker she can return to her dry spot. I think you did good!

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I have to agree with TracyJo, bringing her back in and waiting 10 minutes might have helped. Hey, maybe she did not even have to go when you first took her out.!!:)

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
You def. made your point. lol. I think you did fine. I would have crated in a small crate and took her out in small intervals giving her a chance to do her business as usual. =)

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
I might not have had the persistence but consistency does pay off. Even though I'd probably have done what D & D recommended and crated her in a small crate after she peed you really did do the right thing.

Let 'em laugh....you did good.

·
Extraordimary
4,992 Posts
If I was that adamant that I wanted her to go poop right away, I would have used the match trick so I could get back to bed a lot sooner.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Gracie's_Mom said:
I would say you did the right thing. I am not an expert by any means when it comes to house breaking as I have never done it.

Just one thing though. Didn't you know dobermans will melt in the rain? :) Also Gracie loves snow. Winter is her most favoriate season. She plays in the snows bites the snow, slides in it. She just has a dog of a time. :)

How are most dobermans in the snow? Do any of you put sweatshirts on them or anything? Not familar with the coat style. My poms are winter snow dogs (exception is my Louie who has Cushings disease and lacks hair on his body so he's a fleece and flanel pup in the cold seasons).

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Most people here have a coat for their dogs. I have yet to buy one. I haven't found any that "I" like for her. :) After about 10 minutes of being outside she will run up to us and start shaking a little bit so she goes right back inside. The more running she does the warmer she stays. But when we do bring her inside she will try to curl up next to you if you have a blanket. Poor thing. I need to get her something.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Sorry to your wife but I think you did the right thing. My dobe hates the rain and will try to cut things short, I have always made her stay out and properly finish. She has tried the quick I am done routine but as of yet I have not fallen for it. You know your dog and what usually comes out and when.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Great job in my books. Having another Crazy doberdad around here is a good thing. I think Brum would agree. Crazy is not a bad thing.

Next time I would consider having an umbrella handy. It helps. You can also continue to de-sensitive her to the rain. We took walks in the rain and we played in the rain. As long as you get we together they start to overlook the rain. Especially playing in it. It could be down pouring outside and if its our regular play time, the rain doesn't stop her.

And for the record, LOL, they do not melt. The great thing is that they are wash-n-wear. A few minutes with a good towel and they are good as new.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
LeighaG81 said:
How are most dobermans in the snow? Do any of you put sweatshirts on them or anything? Not familar with the coat style. My poms are winter snow dogs (exception is my Louie who has Cushings disease and lacks hair on his body so he's a fleece and flanel pup in the cold seasons).
Snow, Well I have to say my girl loves snow. Its a party time when its time to play in it. I like the Fido Fleeces line of coats. They cover the whole torso with a velco closure along the back for easy putting on and getting off. Plus they do come in many stylish patterns and colors. Here's a pic with one she has.

I recently put some links to a snow video which shows how much fun she thinks snow is.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As a follow up, this morning it wasn't raining and at 7:00 we went out, Karma did her thing (both of 'em), got her cheese bone in her crate and we all slept in till 10:00.

The reason I didn't put her back in the crate yestereday was I knew after she calmed down from the rain, the urge would hit and she'd start whining to go out in about 10-15 minutes. Then I'd have to get back up, go through the whole process again and probably wake my wife up at the same time. Since I was already up and knew if she didn't crap I'd be back up again anyway, I figured she may as well learn to go in the rain. That was my main reason for staying out so long, she needed to get used to being in the rain, especially if I'm out there with her! But she was pitiful. Shivering and whining, looking up at me with those eyes like I was mistreating her. Several times I almost gave in but I kept remembering... consistancy and patience. For the record, it was 64 F and we got over 4 inches in a 12 hour period.

All in all, I've been exceedingly lucky in the housetraining department. We've had her 2 months now and she's only peed in the house 4-5 times and that was in the first two weeks. She has yet to crap so all in all, expecially compared to Dogma, I really can't complain. Now if I can only get her trained like Niki so she'll come and get me when she has to go out, go out by herself, and scratch at the door when she's finished. Something tells me that's a long way off.

And yes, my wife still thinks I was nuts, even though she got to sleep through the whole thing.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I would have remembered the umbrella. Always have mine when waiting outside. I have a large apple tree that they take turns running from underneath to do their "business" in the rain. That is their semi-dry spot.

In the winter, we all use sweaters. Whatever keeps them warm. I love fleece ones like Harmony has, but Asher has a few knit ones. Otherwise Harmony has a habit of chattering her teeth to make me feel guilty that she is outside in the cold. My guys like to eat the snow, maybe run in it, but after 5 mins. they are ready to go in. Too cold for them.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
morrmar said:
Now if I can only get her trained like Niki so she'll come and get me when she has to go out, go out by herself, and scratch at the door when she's finished. Something tells me that's a long way off.
Worry not, if you remain as diligent as you have been - this will happen sooner than you think :) Chi was about this age when she started bringing us towels, socks, shoes every few hours - It only took us a couple of months to realize, she only does that when she has to go out :) If only we were trained as easily and quickly as our dogs :)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
morrmar said:
All in all, I've been exceedingly lucky in the housetraining department. We've had her 2 months now and she's only peed in the house 4-5 times and that was in the first two weeks. She has yet to crap so all in all, expecially compared to Dogma, I really can't complain.

Just be happy she hasn't pooped in the house. Gracie goes through this thing every few months where she will poop all over the house. It isn't solid at all. Trust me when they go they really go. We are currently looking into getting new flooring to help the clean up. If Gracie isn't having a malfunction, then one of the cats has to leave us a hair ball. Or my most favoriate thing to clean up is the kitty tootsie rolls Gracie likes to pull out of the litter box.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"Just be happy she hasn't pooped in the house. Gracie goes through this thing every few months where she will poop all over the house. It isn't solid at all."

When we first got Karma, I mentioned something to my wife that if she was a bad as Dogma, we'd need one of those SpotBot carpet cleaners. The next thing I know, she got one and told me is was $100 USD. We almost needed to use it right then and there! Luckily, it hasn't been used yet.

"Or my most favoriate thing to clean up is the kitty tootsie rolls Gracie likes to pull out of the litter box."

Niki was the same way. I had to construct a "tower" to put the box on so she couldn't reach it but Tiger could. The things we have to do for our "loved ones".

·
Registered
953 Posts
I think it was the right thing as well. We bring Bruno out rain or shine. He has gotten use to the rain and it really doesn't bother him (however he's only ever been in lil drizzle rain LOL). But I too would still bring him out. No matter the weather. Because it would then be my fault for not taking him out if he had an accident inside. Bruno is the same and I know EVERY morning he does both businesses. So I don't come in until he is done lol. He goes out first thing (around 8am) and is let out before bed (around 11pm). He does pretty well with that :)

Oh and Bruno LOVES the winter. He was born in September so he really didn't get a chance to enjoy summer/fall. But Winter was his time. That's when we took him out the most as he grew. He loves to run in the winter as well :D it's awesome. Good thing too, because we live in Ontario Canada lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts