Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,436 Posts
Dogs do get warts--papilomas--they are virally caused and can be spread dog to dog as the folks in doggy day cares found out.

They also tend to be self limiting and eventually go away on their own.

The most common place that they show up is in the mouth and on the lips.

I would recommend though, that you make an appointment and have your vet check and make sure that this is really what they are on your puppy.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Bug, are you talking about warts that you see so often on poodles? The ones I have seen tend to get bigger and ooze and usually end up being removed or needing removed.

I can't remember what they are called, histio something, I wonder if that is what the OP is describing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know, now that I checked them again, the two on her head are gone. They'd been there since she was tiny. She still has them on her hind paw though. I also remember when we first got her, she had something that looked like a wart on her lower lip. We wondered what it was, but it too, went away.

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
10,436 Posts
Cole's mom,

No, papilloma's are different than histiocytomas. Histiocytomas also often show up and disappear on their own--some however just keep growing and need to be removed. They usually look different than the papillomas which are typical wart looking things. Tend to have an irregular surface and when they are on lips and in mouths look horrible--often grey and can and sometimes do show up suddenly and grow like weeds.

Usually your vet would recommend surgery if you are going to day care or classes where the dog would/could infect his playmates or classmates (that's for warts) or if they were in a location where they interfered with eating or if the dog was bothering them--licking or chewing.

Histiocytomas tend to show up most on older puppies or younger dogs--are NOT transmittable to other dogs.

Ummmm, the growths that show up on poodles, cockers, boxers and various other breeds prone to various cysts and lumps and what not can be anything. They go by a variety of names and sometimes are but more often aren't histiocytomas. Or warts for that matter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts