Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found out today that the Coco Shell mulch that we have been using in our flower beds is toxic to dogs. Our dogs love the smell/test of it. The vet told us that it is very dangerous for them to eat it. Although there was not a warning on the packaging.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
yeah I wouldnt trust anything with the word "Coco" aka chocolate to be something you want to have around dogs...

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Good info Erik..........I don't have any mulch, but I probably wouldn't have even thought about Coco=Chocolate! :)

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Found out today that the Coco Shell mulch that we have been using in our flower beds is toxic to dogs. Our dogs love the smell/test of it. The vet told us that it is very dangerous for them to eat it. Although there was not a warning on the packaging.

Oh yes very toxic, and your right there should be a warning label on the package. You should write the company and inform them. Depending on where you live coco bean shells can create alot of mould to. If your dog does not eat stones that is a good non toxic mulch and won't break down. There are all kinds to choose from. Alot of the mulches are treated so be careful. If you only have a small area, what makes a very pretty mulch that is similar is coffee beans...if you can get them cheap!! If looks are not really important and you are using mulch to hold the moisture and keep the weeds down, leafs are the best mulch!! Full of nitrogen and will break down and make very nice compost.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Starbucks gives away their ground leftovers for use in the garden. They put them in good sized bags and they are usually in a basket near the exit. If not, you can ask them and they will usually give them to you. Garden smells yummy too :D

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
That's just what I need, coffee grounds in the garden. Mensa will probably eat it (out of force of habbit, thinking it's donkey manure) and neither one of us will get any sleep.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Coffee grounds are a great idea, plus they will nourish the soil as it breaks down. I have no idea how much caffeine is leached out of the ground coffee and into the water when coffee is brewed.

I had heard about the coco husks smelling great, but thought it would just be the bean, and not the rest of the plant that would be toxic to dogs. Thanx for the update!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Oh I know I have heard of this when I was thinking of putting mulch in.. It is a never ending battle to keep our animals safe..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts