Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this as an email from a friend. Just thought I would pass it on.


Dog owners please read & pass on to friends with dogs
>
> I think everyone knows this but just in case...
>
>
> At least read the last paragraph, if not the whole story...
>
> (Below written by a vet)
> This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever
> seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab
> mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and
> 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking
> about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service
> until 7AM.
>
> I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal
> failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her
> bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service
> at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something
> about it, but....Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison
> Control Center and they said to give IV fluids at 1 ½ times
> maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.
>
> The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal
> less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal).
> Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an
> IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM
> and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production
> after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute
> renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to
> monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.
>
> He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values
> have continued to incr ease daily. He produced urine when given lasix
> as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and
> they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output
> decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his
> phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been
> staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the
> owners elected to euthanize.
>
> This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea
> raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog
> of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or
> grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or
> raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give
> rise to immediate concern. Also don't give them Chocolate, Cocoa,
> Onions and macadamia nuts!
>
> Laurinda Morris, DVM
> Danville Veterinary Clinic
> Danville , Ohio
>



Naveen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,330 Posts
Thanx for this update. I had heard about the raisin/grape and dark chocolate toxicity perviously. Spinach is also not great for dogs, and onions and garlic can cause anemia.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,069 Posts
Always good to post information Mr. Desi, thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
My past dobie loved grapes and i used to give them occasionally as a treat. Last January when he spent 10 days at Cornell Hospital (unrelated to raisins) we had seen a dog rushed in on a stretcher and I found out the next day that he had died from eating a box of raisins that he had found in the garbage. I was shocked when she told me that they had 3 dogs in less than a month die from them. They were at the time testing raisins in the lab to try and find out why they were so toxic to dogs. I had absolutely no idea about raisins or grapes . I learn something new everyday.
 

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
Joined
·
4,376 Posts
doberlover said:
Avocado's are a no-no as well.
I think you will find that Chaz will disagree with you on that one,as Mensa is an expert Avacado eater!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
All the dogs around here eat avocados. Have for years.

But they won't this year. We were wiped out by The Great Freeze Of '07. I've spent the last couple weeks planting new trees, so we'll have avocados in about two years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,374 Posts
It is not the avocado that is toxic, it is the pit of the avocado. I found this out when Bumpy was vomiting with blood in it and I brought in a sample of a baby avocado that had fallen from my tree. That was why it was such an emergency, if he had ingested the pit it could have been more serious that it was. The pit contains an ingredient which is toxic, the avocado meat itself is ok I was told.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
They won't eat the pits.

They're all skilled at chewing off one of the avocado then clamping down on the other end to squeeze out the pit.
 

·
Sea Hag
Joined
·
12,933 Posts
Chaz said:
All the dogs around here eat avocados. Have for years.

But they won't this year. We were wiped out by The Great Freeze Of '07. I've spent the last couple weeks planting new trees, so we'll have avocados in about two years.
Yep, my dad had a HUGE avocado tree, and for many years my dogs glutted themselves on them whenever possible. The only problem with them is they're so damned fattening...they never ate the pits, either.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top