Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday when I was walking my 5 month old puppy she lunged on her leash. The plastic buckle on her collar snapped and she went into the road. She's fine, but I was very shaken up by what might have happened. The collar was a flat nylon collar with a plastic buckle from Petsmart (Aspen is the brand name). The reason this is so frightening is that I had the collar adjusted to the smallest setting, but I can be adjusted to fit much larger dogs. It looks like a heavy collar but it couldn't even restrain at 33 lb. puppy. I emailed Petsmart and got an unsatisfactory response (they will notify their marketing department but cannot promise that they will change anything.) I will never use a collar with a plastic buckle again, and want to share our experience so that no one else has the frightening experience of seeing a beloved dog running into traffic.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
I know that feeling. We had a prong collar come undone - twice - with puppy Quincy. No harm done - he ran around the park area we were at then came back to us. We have a Cetacea collar now - nylon w/plastic buckle/snap - has held up quite well. Will also be using a leather Lizard Leather collar with metal buckle.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Yep, that's why I refuse to use any brand with a plastic clasp, other than the Lupine, which do hold up and which I've never had a problem with.

Glad your pupper is okay and safe.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Yesterday when I was walking my 5 month old puppy she lunged on her leash. The plastic buckle on her collar snapped and she went into the road. She's fine, but I was very shaken up by what might have happened. The collar was a flat nylon collar with a plastic buckle from Petsmart (Aspen is the brand name). The reason this is so frightening is that I had the collar adjusted to the smallest setting, but I can be adjusted to fit much larger dogs. It looks like a heavy collar but it couldn't even restrain at 33 lb. puppy. I emailed Petsmart and got an unsatisfactory response (they will notify their marketing department but cannot promise that they will change anything.) I will never use a collar with a plastic buckle again, and want to share our experience so that no one else has the frightening experience of seeing a beloved dog running into traffic.
VERY common. NEVER use anything other than an actual slide thru buckle. I don't actually know why they still sell those collars. Prong collars require maintenance to ensure they prongs remain tight, and you should never use the same link over and over to take the prong on and off.

Tamara McIntosh

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Yep. Finn's first puppy collar had a plastic buckle. Nothing happened but I really didn't trust it so when he started going for walks, I swapped it for one with a strong metal buckle.

Very glad your pup is okay. It must have been terrifying for you.

·
Dedicated DoberFan
2,786 Posts
Welcome to Dobermantalk Tracey! Thank you for your post about your experience with the Aspen collar. From my experience (which is by no means extensive, but from what I have learned), "pet store stuff," especially the products found in the very large chain pet stores, are quite simply, cheap crap designed to break or wear out so the consumer replaces it with more cheap crap. Not only are the plastic buckles the cheapest Made in China for a fifth of a cent pieces of junk out there, those flimsy chrome-plated metal alloy snaps and rings are garbage too.

I've found the best place to buy quality pet gear is from vendors at dog shows/trials or online; although, some pet stores do offer higher quality products from smaller vendors (but often at a high cost).

I suggest a quality leather lead such as this:
AllK-9.com Ultra Leather Leash

I love love LOVE this lead. I use the 3/8" 6ft length and trust it completely. The leather is soft and easy to work with (in obedience I'm constantly letting out lead and gathering it up), but also very strong, and the snap is heavy duty solid brass; none of that flimsy stuff! The cost is very reasonable for such a nice product. Most of the leather products I've found in pet stores are stiff and brittle, and also way over-priced (in the $50 range)!

I prefer a leather buckle collar, as opposed to the flat buckle nylon type. As for prong collars, I won't use anything but Herm Sprenger.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thank you for the link. I'm buying my girl a new leash and collar today and Petsmart certainly won't be getting another dime of my money. I am shocked by how indifferent Petsmart was when I told them that my dog could have been killed when her collar gave way. They clearly don't plan to do a thing to prevent the same thing from happening to other dog owners. I'm particularly upset because I told the salesperson at the store that I was buying the collar for a Dobermann puppy and he recommended that brand specifically. It makes me angry that a company that presents itself as devoted to animals would put them at risk by selling an obviously faulty product.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Yes stay away from plastic buckles / or snap together s worthless also always use a light weight nylon choke chain type collar with a Pinch collar in case the pinch collar opens up on its own.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the new collar and leash today

Welcome to Dobermantalk Tracey! Thank you for your post about your experience with the Aspen collar. From my experience (which is by no means extensive, but from what I have learned), "pet store stuff," especially the products found in the very large chain pet stores, are quite simply, cheap crap designed to break or wear out so the consumer replaces it with more cheap crap. Not only are the plastic buckles the cheapest Made in China for a fifth of a cent pieces of junk out there, those flimsy chrome-plated metal alloy snaps and rings are garbage too.

I've found the best place to buy quality pet gear is from vendors at dog shows/trials or online; although, some pet stores do offer higher quality products from smaller vendors (but often at a high cost).

I suggest a quality leather lead such as this:
AllK-9.com Ultra Leather Leash

I love love LOVE this lead. I use the 3/8" 6ft length and trust it completely. The leather is soft and easy to work with (in obedience I'm constantly letting out lead and gathering it up), but also very strong, and the snap is heavy duty solid brass; none of that flimsy stuff! The cost is very reasonable for such a nice product. Most of the leather products I've found in pet stores are stiff and brittle, and also way over-priced (in the $50 range)!

I prefer a leather buckle collar, as opposed to the flat buckle nylon type. As for prong collars, I won't use anything but Herm Sprenger.

The new collar and leash from AllK-9.com came today. I got the rolled leather collar and ultra leather leash. Very nice quality with heavy-duty brass hardware - I won't have to worry about either of them failing. Even with shipping to Canada ($13) the price was pretty reasonable (not all that much more than the junk I bought from Petsmart). Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Crap! That sounds like the collar that I first used on my pup. I'm not using that one anymore, but I'm glad your pup is okay.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I use a chain leather martingale collar for Prime(see it on him in my signature pic) with a leather leash like the one the link takes you to. I got the leash for cheap at a dog show..what a steal! It's great quality too. No buckles on a martingale so there's no way they can break out of them!

·
Dedicated DoberFan
2,786 Posts
The new collar and leash from AllK-9.com came today. I got the rolled leather collar and ultra leather leash. Very nice quality with heavy-duty brass hardware - I won't have to worry about either of them failing. Even with shipping to Canada ($13) the price was pretty reasonable (not all that much more than the junk I bought from Petsmart). Thanks for the tip.
You're welcome; I'm glad you are happy with your new stuff! :)

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I'm actually leery of most all of the collars sold in pet stores for use out in areas with any traffic. Beware of even the ones with metal buckles as there are differences in metal and certain metals are prone to breakage or cracking. Over the years I've never had a Herm Sprenger fail, however on the prongs do maintain them and swap worn links out immediately. Or better yet re-read Tamara's post.

I avoid like the plaque any made in China leashes or collars. In leashes make sure they are braided back and then even sewn down. Stitches can rot or come out---a good braid back won't. Inspect everything regularly and if there's any question get rid of it.

My favorites for walking are a couple of handmade slip collars with quality buckles and workmanship. Expect to pay a little more for quality or custom collars and leashes but it could save your pups life. My dogs are trained and rarely pull, however, they are dogs and when the rabbit runs across the road better be prepared!

With flexi's only go for the original 'made in Germany' model never the cheapo knock off brands.

I actually make some lines and leashes for my own use but always use quality Italian Bronze snaps and hand sew them down with heavy duty marine grade waxed thread.

For winter and wet weather dog walking---especially with gloves on--- I love these gripease leashes. Everything is hand made with quality bronze. I have mine made with the regular solid bronze bolt snap. This guy really makes quality equipment.

http://www.seriousdogsupply.com/Pro...iothane_Gripease_Leashes/gripease_leashes.htm

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went through 2 Aspen collers before I relized they are junk. The leads are nice, so I use the leads with a leather slide-through buckle. I'll never use a snap buckle again for a large breed dog, even as a puppy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This is why we buy nice well made leather leads and collars. They last and are durable. They are the only option i see for working dogs and active pets.
I buy from here. Give a try you will be happy you did!

Custom Leather Dog Leashes and Leads

·
Registered
381 Posts
I know that feeling. We had a prong collar come undone - twice - with puppy Quincy. No harm done - he ran around the park area we were at then came back to us. We have a Cetacea collar now - nylon w/plastic buckle/snap - has held up quite well. Will also be using a leather Lizard Leather collar with metal buckle.
Though I'm a bit late to the party, I'll chime in for future reference. Prongs should be latched on to another secure collar, you can get double latches at the hardware store. Also, if the prong is not fitted tight around the neck they are much more prone to coming off. For every day use I use a stainless Herm Sprenger fur saver with large links. HS Toggles for training.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.