Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had put the kids to bed and was in the kitchen cleaning up. I thought Gunner was in the living room playing with his new toys, but when I came back in, he was gone. I looked down the hall and saw that the door to my 4 year old's room was cracked open. It's usually closed. I peeked in, and saw the cutest thing I've probably ever seen. Gunner had crawled up in my son's bed, and my son was reading him a story. Omg I wish i had my camera.
That dog is seriously the best form of therapy I could have ever gotten my child. He suffers from some behavior disorders, but ever since getting Gunner, he has improved dramatically. He is very intelligent, but socially akward and finds it hard to makes friends. As a result, his self esteem was really horrible. Since getting Gunner though, I've seen his confidence sky rocket. He helps me train Gunner and is in charge of basic dog chores. He ADORES Gunner and callls him his best friend. Anyone who questions whether dobermans are good with kids, needs to meet these two :)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
OliviaB - that is a fantastic story / just 6 short weeks ago, you had training issues, in your post:
(Need opinions on sending dog away for training).

And the trainer, turns out to be your oldest son & Gunner's best friend.
- I am so pleased to see, they found each other...and their is so much to be thankful for

·
joie de vivre
11,253 Posts
Awesome moment. :)

Reactions: Sherryh and OliviaB

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you should forward that story to all the insurance companys that handle home owner policys
Seriously! Anyone who thinks dobermans are crazed kid killers needs to spend a day with Gunner and my son. They do EVERYTHING together and are seriously just like brothers. My son refuses to leave the house without finding Gun to give him a goodbye kiss :) He got mad yesterday because we couldn't take Gunner to the grocery store with us :p

Beaumont67: Yes, I'm so glad we decided to train Gunner ourselves. I'm actually amazed at how smart he is and how quickly he picks things up. My 4 year old is thrilled that he can help and makes it his mission to have at least two training sessions a day. The only problem we've had....my son tends to reward A LOT and for about a week I found myself constantly running out of dog biscuits LOL. I've since moved the treats so Landon has to ask for help when getting them ;)

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Great story, very lovely moment.

I got my first doberman for my son's 6th birthday (okay, dog was really for me, but we won't tell). As an only child, he loved the company and my dog Zulu enjoyed having a special little person to follow around and keep an eye on.

I'm happy your son has a best buddy too!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Seriously! Anyone who thinks dobermans are crazed kid killers needs to spend a day with Gunner and my son. They do EVERYTHING together and are seriously just like brothers. My son refuses to leave the house without finding Gun to give him a goodbye kiss :) He got mad yesterday because we couldn't take Gunner to the grocery store with us :p

Beaumont67: Yes, I'm so glad we decided to train Gunner ourselves. I'm actually amazed at how smart he is and how quickly he picks things up. My 4 year old is thrilled that he can help and makes it his mission to have at least two training sessions a day. The only problem we've had....my son tends to reward A LOT and for about a week I found myself constantly running out of dog biscuits LOL. I've since moved the treats so Landon has to ask for help when getting them ;)

OliviaB
- after reading your posted family story (Parents of toddlers...(vent)).
- I originally suggested Landon (your son) would/should be the trainer of Gunner
- and your son (4 years of age) also reads...how smart / great job Mom
I am simply thrilled at the progress, your 4 y/o, has made...using much love & responsibility.
Children are innocent and have so much love to share, they don't complicate dog training...if their is a real interest / which clearly he has & enjoys it.

Now I am going to suggest, 2 more changes / just something to think about:
- if Gunner sleeps in a cage at night, ask Landon...if Gunner would be happier in his bed / son's choice
- plan on having your son train with, very few-->zero treats / challenge them both, to a more holistic method...using mutual love & respect, voice & hand praise, calmness, kisses, & desire to please
(life rewards, not a 2 second biscuit)

The way things are progressing, you have only seen a fraction of Gunners "smarts & strengths".
You are so lucky, to have such an amazing puppy...I see many more positives, to come (between the pair)...time to step up the challenge some/level of difficulty, in bits.
Gunner is ready, for added responsibility now, with the established love bond.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts