Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't want to derail the most hilarious thread I have ever been a part of on this site with something so trivial as facts, but I have an honest question.

For those of you who have been around the block in breeding circles for years... How did the Warlock thing start? Why did a dog who died in the 60s become synonymous with out of standard, oversized, poorly bred dogs? I have a hard time believing that even a single puppy advertised as Warlock has Barong the Warlock in their pedigree. Why this dog? Just cuz the name sounds cool? I get that its a marketing gimmick, but why pick on this one dog and have it last this long?

·
Premium Member
10,254 Posts
I didn't want to derail the most hilarious thread I have ever been a part of on this site with something so trivial as facts, but I have an honest question.

For those of you who have been around the block in breeding circles for years... How did the Warlock thing start? Why did a dog who died in the 60s become synonymous with out of standard, oversized, poorly bred dogs? I have a hard time believing that even a single puppy advertised as Warlock has Barong the Warlock in their pedigree. Why this dog? Just cuz the name sounds cool? I get that its a marketing gimmick, but why pick on this one dog and have it last this long?
Hard to say what prompts people seize upon part of a name and use it in a form that really eventually had nothing to do with it's origins.

First of all the dogs name was Ch Borong (not Barong) the Warlock CD--he was born in January 1955 and died in 1965. During that time he was probably the best known Doberman by name around. In part that was because his owner and handler Henry Frampton took him with him as he traveled for business and did something that is more common now than it was then--he showed him a lot of places other than just his home area.

I think in part you've already figured out that people (who had nothing to do with either Borong the Warlock nor the Framptons) seized upon the Warlock part of his name and used it because it was "cool" and the idea of a male witch somehow lent cachet to the dog--the Doberman.

There was a breeder in Texas who was using Warlock as part of his kennel name who (I've heard) bred dogs who were somewhat oversized--Borong the Warlock was part of their pedigree--a grandsire I believe. But over time the "bigger is better" mentality which is sort of a chronic problem in the US took hold and a number of breeders (some of whom actually did have Borong the Warlock far back in their pedigree) started to use it as the advertising "gimmick" adding to the the already existing "bigger is better" bs. It doesn't take long for BYB's to deteriorate the quality of the offspring of well bred dogs when the breeding is being done by people who don't know the first thing about breeding dogs but understand marketing and the buying public all too well.

And of course there is always the public who is buying what is offered and I think people who buy into stuff like the myth of the Warlock dog (which includes oversize, special secret markings, whorls of hair and cowlicks) do so because they fancy it to be "special".

Actually, because he was well know Borong the Warlock is in many pedigrees, he was used by quite a few people--but you have to be able to go back 15 to 20 generations to find him and most of the folks bragging about their Warlock dogs are lucky to know who the sire and dam of their dog is much less have or know how to trace pedigrees back far enough to find the original.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spelling error cuz I was going off memory. My bad.

Think anyone actually breeding Warlock dobes has any idea who he even was? I feel bad for the dog, for all he had accomplished THIS debacle is how he is best remembered. Very sad. :mad:

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
ahahah just the word "Warlock" make me LMAO:)

but yea one thing I noticed while pup shopping is alot of websites advertising their 'badass" dog breeding program by also having a huge fat "Warlock" sitting next to a cop...which could have easily been false or misleading advertising...cops do not use Warlocks

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
People are so ridiculous with their special and rare accessories they just have to have because they think it makes them somebody in this life. It's a shame I belong to this race. So much ridiculousness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts