Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
ok guys, ANTECH did the blood work, dont know where they are located. This is what it reads....

Test Requested Results Ref Range Units
T4 <.05 (low) 0.8-3.5 UG/DL

·
Super Moderator
22,551 Posts
I would personally want a full thyroid panel sent out to MSU after getting that result.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
You guys draw the blood yourself and send it out?? Everytime I go for a visit it is at least $400 like this past one.

·
Super Moderator
22,551 Posts
No, I ask my vet to send out blood for a full thyroid panel to MSU. A full panel is a bit pricier because it has to be sent out. A visit where I do bloodwork can vary - it depends on what I have done. Pricing on different vet visits can vary - it may be a visit where I pay $150, or it could be several hundred dollars, it really depends on what I am seeing them for and what the vet is doing.

I personally carry insurance on my dogs, simply because vet care is expensive (and should be - things cost a lot, just like human medical care).

Reactions: melbrod

·
Premium Member
10,874 Posts
There are actually only a few labs (Antech and IDEXX have labs all over the country) who actually do full panels. The two I know for sure are MSU (Michigan State--vet school there and their lab have been the gold standard for thyroid testing for years) and Texas A & M--also a vet school with a good reputation who runs a lot of tests that are not done anywhere else.

I always do one full thyroid panel when my dogs are between two and three years. Yes, expensive but definitely something you want to check on.

dobebug

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
There are actually only a few labs (Antech and IDEXX have labs all over the country) who actually do full panels. The two I know for sure are MSU (Michigan State--vet school there and their lab have been the gold standard for thyroid testing for years) and Texas A & M--also a vet school with a good reputation who runs a lot of tests that are not done anywhere else.

I always do one full thyroid panel when my dogs are between two and three years. Yes, expensive but definitely something you want to check on.

dobebug
What is the price to expect?

·
Premium Member
10,874 Posts
What is the price to expect?
I'm sorry, I couldn't even guess--MSU used to have a price schedule posted with the information for the vet clinic who did the blood draw for what the prices were for various thyroid tests. The last time I looked the posted prices were retail but someone also told me just a couple of weeks ago that they didn't post the prices anymore and that you had to ask your clinic how much it would be.

The last dog I had a full panel done on just turned 8 so I'd only be guessing. And the dog who will be the next to have a full panel done on just turned two and I'm kind of waiting for the latest Covid spike to die down so that my clinic is fully staffed again.

dobebug

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Well guys, I know it has been only 2 days since I started the Nova's thyroid meds but I see a difference. She is much mire active and alert. We had a nice walk today as well, never stopped or sat down the whole time. I am very happy about this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I read most of the responses to this post and wasn't going to respond but I wish I had made a post like this one which might have allowed me to keep my Dolphie longer. Many years ago, my Dolphie (black, neutered, BYB Doberman-my first Doberman as an adult) would stop on walks and lie down. It didn't have to be hot out but he would just stop and lie down. I couldn't drag him back to walking for at least 10 minutes and then he would get up and walk again. At the time, I "thought" maybe he just wanted to enjoy the moment or something like that. At this time, he was about 7 years old. Two years later, by accident, the vet was listening to his heart when he picked him up to put him on the table and noticed the arrhythmias. Dolphie was diagnosed with Boxer cardio (arrhythmogenic cardio). A year later, he developed DCM and died at 10 years 6 months and 13 days. I don't want to scare you about your Nova, but wanted to let you know what happened to my boy. I know these replies scare you but you have obviously posted because you were concerned about your pup and, after seeing all of the Doberman experts on this forum, you have the best of the best responses you could get.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts