Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since yesterday, Elza has started to treat her months old toy, “Monkey” very nicely. She holds it in her mouth and carries it around wherever she goes. Surely to her crate and even walk outside. Last night she carried Monkey to upstairs and slept with it(or him/her:D).
I couldn’t see where Elza was this morning so I went to search her upstairs and there she was on our bed with Monkey! As I approached she lifted her back leg slightly as if she was about to feed Monkey or me(lol). It’s not in her heat period, finished three months ago. But the ways she did were like she plays herself as a Mommy:)
I believe she could be a good Mom but I don’t plan it and all male dobes I know here are neutered.
Elza, do you know if you have babies, normally you have 9 or 10 puppies, not a single baby! You know it because you have 8 siblings. Give it up and just dream of it, Elza!

"I'm with my baby, Monkey." (Pic taken today.)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I know this is cute and perhaps funny to you...but not to be mean but your girl is in false pregnancy.

The best thing for you to do is take away the "baby" as this increases the problem. I bet if you check her breasts she has milk.

This is caused by a hormone imbalance and comes at the time after the heat period when they would have whelped.

All female dogs bred or not the uterus thinks its pregnant. Some get it worse than others. It can make the girl miserable so its best to take away the constant behavior items. It only makes it worse.

Do not breed her thinking this is what she wants. This is purely hormonal. Spay her and it will go away. Breast enlargement ingorgement is not good for the breasts. Dobermans get breast cancer very easily. Inflamation of the breasts while in milk is not good for their breasts.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
This is when there would be puppies, if there were puppies... she is having a false pregnancy, which is a normal part of things. She may produce some milk, she may be clingy and "nest" with her monkey. Expect that she may be a little unsettled and strange for a while. It will pass.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about it too: a false pregnancy. It happened two years ago too, but the reaction was different.
This time is apparantely "mommy" behavior. Not yet produced milk. I don't have my own children though, I noticed it, husband didn't(lol).
An hour ago, I took her walk. She held her Monkey in her mouth again, and after pee she insisted to go home right away which is unusual. OK, definetely a false pregnancy.

I'll take an advice:thanx: Our home and her crate became her nest. I'll take her Monkey away for a while to wait her confusional hormon pass.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last night when I was cooking dinner, I slipped in the kitchen and noticed Elza's breast milk...!
I took her Monkey away this morning with a help of my husband because she was with Monkey all the time! After coming home from morning walk, she started looking for her baby in the house whining for an hour or so. I felt bad and guilty for her but tried to convince myself it was the right thing. Yet it was hard for me:screama:

After whining for an hour, she went to the crate to sleep. I went out for a few hours and now she's peaceful:nicejob:

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a reason why she isnt spayed? That would keep this from happening again.
Our vet! I had consulted with him about her spay thing last year. I was positive to do but he was not and told me to think about it "well" before making a big decision.
I'll talk about this again.

The reason why I don't change the vet is that he is our home doctor(vet). He's seen our cat and cockatiels more than 10 years. He had my cat spayed, but opposes to Elza. I don't know why:(

I would worry she would get breast cancer I get all my dogs fixed.
Breast cancer...
Until what age can a dog be spayed? She's 3 yrs old now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts