Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I stumbled on this site a few days ago and have learned so much!! I have had Westies all my adult life ( 2 atm), and have decided to add a Doberman to our family. I have been researching what makes a reputable breeder and what I should be looking for in a puppy. I don't have a lot of experience with breeders. My first dog came from a woman close to where I live. She advertised in the newspaper (15years ago). I thought it was a great price and she was close, so I went for a visit. She brought me out a baby and I fell in love. Told me he was ready and if I didn't take him, he would be gone the next day. I couldn't give him back. He smelled horrible and was tiny and shaking. I asked about his mom and she said to wait there and she would bring her up to the house for me to see. She was so nasty. Covered with feces and matted hair. It broke my heart. I could not leave that baby there. I immediately took him to a vet to be checked out. Vet said I don't know what he is, but he's not a Westie and he was maybe 4 weeks old. Long story short, she ended up being charged with 200+ counts of animal cruelty and is rotting in a federal prison. He lived 2 years. Next one I lucked out and found a wonderful breeder. She had a lot of the qualities that are suggested here. My sweet Crawford is now 13, going blind and hard of hearing. He was always my protector, but is just too old now. Next Westie, I got from the rescue in Nashville. I sent in my application and was called the next morning. They had raided a horrible puppy mill and had 23 Westies to place. I got a puppy that day. Lilly is a very sweet little girl, but is definitely not a protector. She just pees in the floor if she gets scared. I think she was abused. I would like a dog that is not aggressive in any way to my children, family or friends, but still can protect if necessary. I live out in the middle of nowhere, have 3 boys and my husband travels every week. I have done my homework and a Dobe seems right for my family. I don't want to pay an outrageous price, but I do understand the costs that go into caring for a litter and I know it will cost a lot. I live in west Tennessee. Please give me any info or tips that I should know and please help me find a good breeder. Im a little overwhelmed and only want to buy from a trusted person. I know this was a long post, just thought i should give some history and explain my situation. Thank you so much!!!! Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am not looking for a show dog, per se, but would just like a healthy baby that will work well with my family dynamic. My youngest son is 3 so I do require excellent temperament. I would love your suggestions for choosing a puppy like this. Thanks again!!!

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hi and welcome to DT!!

do some research and see if there is a Doberman Pinscher club in your area, if so contact them and see if they can help as they will know the breeders in your area.

also, if there are any dog shows in your area, maybe stop by one and ask around about Doberman breeders.

and if there is a Doberman rescue near you, give them a call!

Good luck!

·
Go Dog Go
606 Posts
Are you absolutely determined to get a puppy? I'm wondering if you might be happier with a young adult rehome or rescue.

Puppies are a huge amount of work, need regular attention & are often nippy, especially with children. Not all rescues are problems - sometimes they just need good people to live with.

(I thought I'd rather have a puppy, until I read the puppy threads. I'm extremely pleased with my 5 year old female - I found her on kijiji six months ago & she came already trained & healthy. She's a sweetie & we are lucky to have her.)
Kate

1 - 9 of 9 Posts