Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I am new to Doberman talk and this is my first post! I am new to the Doberman breed as well. I have previously owned a German Shepherd. She was the best dog in the world. I had her from 2nd grade to my senior year of college. She was 13 and 1/2 and we sadly had to put her down in August 2017. I thought about getting another German Shepherd but knew that none could come close to my sweet Heidi. I didn't want to be constantly comparing another German Shepherd to her because that wouldn't be fair.
I've done some research on Dobermans and I am particularly drawn to them for their intelligence, loving nature, and tendency to be loyal to one person. I am wanting to get a boy and hopefully get him around December 2018. Since I am new to the breed I figured I should start doing my research early. I will most likely be living by myself next year and really want a loving companion that is also protective. I really like the characteristics and look of the European Doberman but seem to be struggling to find a good breeder in Texas.
I was hoping y'all could provide me with some suggestions. I am totally willing to travel somewhere else in the US to get him as well.
Any information about the breed or breeders will be greatly appreciated!

·
well trained hooman
765 Posts
It would be helpful if you could specify what characteristics exactly that you like about the "Euro" Doberman. There is a lot of marketing and misinformation out there, and I'm sure no one here wants you to get fooled by crappy breeder "branding". That being said, there are lots of experienced Dobe people here from all realms of the Dobe world. Good luck in your search!

Reactions: dobebug

·
Got mutt?
13,730 Posts
Welcome to DT.

Are you wanting a Euro show-line dog? If so, you'll be hard pressed to find a good breeder in Texas. Your best bet would be to check out the United Doberman Club's breeder list. A lot of them are incorporating European lines (some show, some working) into their breeding programs. http://uniteddobermanclub.com/find-a-puppy/udc-breeder-directory/

For sure steer clear of anyone who pushes the whole "Euros are bigger, healthier, smarter, etc., etc. than American dogs" thing. The AKC and FCI standards vary by about an inch in height, and European dogs can, and do, develop DCM, hip dysplasia, vWD, and any other health problem that American Dobes develop.

·
Big Lil pup
6,241 Posts
Hi kate!

I am not going to comment on the "Euro vs American" thing. Too much Hoopla. LOL

About the breed: A Doberman is a way different dog than a GSD. Both are smart, trainable and loyal. Oh... and usually quite protective. But, all my friends' German Shepherds are couch potatoes compared to my Dobe boys over the years.

Just be prepared for the extra effort necessary to rise a well trained and socialized Dobe.

Best to you and good luck in your search.

John
Portlaand OR

·
Super Moderator
21,516 Posts
I've removed your other post asking the same question...please make sure to only post once asking the same question.

What is it about a Euro that attracts you?

I'd strongly suggest contacting your local Doberman club (go to www.dpca.org and click on the link for Chapter clubs). That's the best way to start your search for ethical breeders in your area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would be helpful if you could specify what characteristics exactly that you like about the "Euro" Doberman. There is a lot of marketing and misinformation out there, and I'm sure no one here wants you to get fooled by crappy breeder "branding". That being said, there are lots of experienced Dobe people here from all realms of the Dobe world. Good luck in your search!
I like the darker rust color on the European breed as opposed to the more brown on the American. I also have read that Americans tend to be more nervous? I’ve also noticed it seems like theAmerican Dobermans have a muzzle more similar to a greyhound.

·
Got mutt?
13,730 Posts
I like the darker rust color on the European breed as opposed to the more brown on the American. I also have read that Americans tend to be more nervous? I’ve also noticed it seems like theAmerican Dobermans have a muzzle more similar to a greyhound.
They are all the same breed.

Rust markings can vary in intensity, but not all Euro dogs are darker, and not all American line dogs are lighter.

As for temperament, neither European nor American dogs should be nervous.

I'll agree that most American dogs have more refined heads, but they should NOT, in any way, resemble a Greyhound's. Most European show line dogs have coarse, heavy heads, IMO.

^^ You might want to take a look at MeadowCat's boy, an American show line dog with rich pigment, a sound temperament, and most definitely not a Greyhound head. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
I think you have been misled by what you're reading online. As mentioned by another poster a lot of the "Euro" stuff out there is merely a sales pitch on a crummy breeder's website. A nicely bred American dog will have a proper confident and fearless temperament. He will also have a regal look with a wedge shaped head and rust markings.

Here are two examples of very nice American dogs

Tyson- Ch. Talladega's American Thunder

Hunter Ch. Cha-Rish Star Quest Blu J's

I would encourage you to go see some dogs at a local show and talk to people at your local DPCA chapter club (follow that link that MC posted).

·
Premium Member
8,504 Posts
This is another all American boy: GCh Fitzmar's Command A Minute "Harvard" at age 5. In the post above mine, the red boy on the podium "Hunter" is his Grandfather.
Not all dogs from American or Euro lines are the same. I'd recommend going to some shows, talking to owners and breeders ... seeing what you like. Keep in mind that most boys you will see in the classes are young and immature - look at the boys in best of breed for an idea of what they look like at maturity.

Also, nervous freaky Dobermans can be found in any type. The most freaky Doberman I ever met was a 100% Euro boy. Good stable Dobermans can be found in both types too. Don't believe the hype you read on the internet - go see the dogs yourself.

DSC_0731 by Mary Jo Ansel, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
21,516 Posts
Harvard is such a lovely example of a great American boy.

Rosemary, thanks for saying nice things about Richter :)

Here are some photos of him, Kate. He certainly has darker markings and I wouldn't call his head feminine. He is 100% American show lines.

I think it's harder to find ethically bred European show lines here in the US, and I wouldn't recommend a working line Euro for what you describe as what you are looking for - I don't think you'd be happy with that kind of dog. I do think you can find the kind of Doberman you want in American lines if you are patient and willing to look for the right breeder. Keep in mind that so many pictures you are seeing of males are win pictures of young dogs - the win pictures are often of dogs that are under a year old, or definitely under 2, and they really don't finish maturing at that age, so you aren't seeing a "finished picture" of what a mature male looks like. And different lines can be very different.

DSC_0105 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

000_2722 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

DSC_0043 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

·
Registered
334 Posts
What part of Texas are you from? I got my buddy from a breeder in College Station, but that litter was born this past October and she's not breeding right now.

When I was on my search for a breeder, I was given not so many names here in the great state, but if you're willing to travel, there are some good ones around I've heard!

I'm new to the DobieWorld though, so if anyone tells you differently who's been here a while, I'd take their word for it! :)

·
Super Moderator
21,516 Posts
Not 100%. Canadian, too. Just sayin'. ;-)
Hahahahaha, Mary...fair enough! Definitely also Canadian! (For those following along, Mary is Richter's breeder :grin2: )

Kate, there are several good breeders in Texas! I strongly recommend contacting the chapter clubs there and getting in touch with the folks who are showing and active in the Doberman "world" down there. You do want to be careful because there are also a LOT of bad breeders in Texas. Go to www.dpca.org and click on "Chapter clubs" to get in touch with them. You can also use www.dpca.org to look at their breeder referral listings as a place to start.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts