Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I already have a 7- month old neutered male GSD and looking to get a
a male Doberman. Any advice ?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
First off, hello and wecome to Doberman talk! We always love to have more doberman enthusiasts!

I feel dutybound to tell you that male dobermans are notoriously aggressive with other males they live with. Many people do have males that are able to live together, I did years and years back, but I don't recommend it at all because of the overwhelming risks involved to both dogs in the majority of instances. It is ususally aggression that will show up when they are full grown and completely unexpectedly. There are people that live now with two males that have to be separated at ALL times, to keep them from killing or maiming eachother.

I'd recommend a female in your case, and pretty much any reputable breeder or rescue you come across will do the same.

Would you be interested in a rescued dog? Always nice to give a good animal a good life!As for a going to a breeder, we have a great section in the breeding area about choosing a reputable breeder.

Have you ever had a doberman before? They are a wonderful breed, but not always ideal for everyone after they learn more about them. Can you tell us what it is about dobermans that make you want to add one to your family? Are you active in any activities, OB, rally, tracking, etc... that you want to use it for? Then maybe we can answer some of your questions a little better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lexus,

Thanks for your welcome message. Why I want a Dobe :

1. Just as a pet.
2. I have heard how intelligent and friendly they are.
3. I have always owned GSDs so I thought I'd try a Dobe.
4. Get a companion for my GSD instead of being home alone while I am at work.

I am a little weary of adopting from a shelter or a rescue centre as I won't know the history of the dog. However, it's an option after I heard about the Dobe prices.

Regards

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Okay, first off the rescue info, if you find a doberman rescue, that would be the best way to go. Rescues are different from shelters for the most part. The dogs have been thoroughly tested with many different issues, kids, food aggression, other dogs, cats etc. Also many of them are in foster homes waiting for their forever home, plus the rescuers and the foster parents know the dog inside and out. So they are housebroken and fairly obedient. Then especially b/c you work, you could find an already adult dog that is housebroken. (big plus!) Here link to the DPCA rescue site.... http://www.dpcacope.org/ it's worth checking out at least. We have a few great rescued dobe owners on this site that I'm sure would love to tell you about their dogs!

I'm not trying to convince you either way, they are just facts and options out there for you. Here is also a link to the Doberman Pinscher Club of America, you can get some great info about the breed from it also... http://www.dpca.org/

Dobermans are great dogs, but they do require an amount of work, they love to be with their owners. There are a lot of shady breeders out there with the dobies.... so it is imperative to stay away from them.... That is the reason for a lot of the sky high prices you are finding. Really check out the "buying a doberman pinscher guideline" listed in our breeding section to help you weed out the bad from the good.

Dobies aren't an easy dog to own, they are highly intelligent and love to be doing something. They require exercise, they do shed, (although with a shepard already, it's not anything you haven't already seen) they love to be challenged and work, it is important to socialize them early on, and regularally.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Lexus,

I have cheked out the sites you refered me to. They are in the US. I am in Canada. Are there similar websites for Canadians?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hello and welcome to Doberman Talk. I am currently owned by a rescued female. Just a note from someone who has rescued. These dogs are amazing if you go through a rescue most places tell you what the dog went through if they know. They also tell you how the dog is indoors. If they get along with cats other dogs and so on. Gracie (my girl) is one of my best friends. I love her so much and she has so much love to give. She loves people animals and anything else that comes her way. She believes that everyone was put on this earth to love her a pet her. Even though the amount of abuse and starvation she has endured before we got her, she is still wonderful. You can really see her spirit just watching her look out the window, laying on the couch, being a nut and so on.

I am not trying to tell you what to do, I just wanted to tell you how wonderful a rescue is. I don't know what a breeder dog is like since I have never had one. Gracie is also my first dobe and MY first dog. What ever you chose please keep us updated and we are always here to offer great advice. :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
You might want to sort or think about getting a female because what i have heard and what some people have already told you 2 males might not get along. Even if one of them are fixed. If you look into the puppy section there is a post titled doberman buying guide. I think you should read this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone who cared and took the time to advise and help me out.
Unfortunately, I won't be getting a Dobe. My wife and I went and visited a couple of breeders and she was soooooo scared of the dogs although they were extremely friendly and playful. I guess their looks intimated her. She isn't a dog person ... but she adores cats but accepted having a GSD for my sake knowing how much I loved dogs especially GDSs.

Thanks again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will still be memeber of this forum because I like it and the people on it are just awesome. Thanks everyone

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Just to add....My Significant Other was fearful of getting a doberman. She is also a cat person. When we got our puppy, we both agreed to take her together to obedience training.We both decided that we were going to take her to all four obedience classes our school offered as a minimal requirement. She had the same fears that every non-doberman owner had. She was the handler for puppy kindergarden and half of the basic obedience classes. She fell in love with our doberman and all those fears she had went away. She now realizes how such a great breed they are. There is a total different side of a doberman that most people do not see. How loyal, affectionate and just plain goofy they are. They are people dogs and want to be included in everything you do. And all they want to do is make you happy.

This is very common for a first doberman owner and I truly understand. I hope that she will eventually change her opinion.

·
Registered
333 Posts
GSD009,
When I met my hubby he had just bought a 6 month old Doberman. The first time I went to his house I saw her and thought "Oh no, a Doberman, how awful" I was a dog lover but actually hated them because of the negative stereotype portayed in the media and elsewhere. After a very short period of time I realized what a wonderful sweet dog the Doberman is, especially this girl. She was the smartest, sweetest dog ever and left a big void in both of our lives when we put her down 2 1/2 years ago at 15 1/2 due to cancer. We still have 3 Dobermans, a 10yr female, 8yr male and 6mo female puppy. They all get along, eat out of the same dish with no growling and are loving companions to us and each other. Any dog can become vicious if treated improperly no matter the breed.
I wish you both the best whatever decision you make and a big welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Also I will like to say, that I am still afraid of dogs. Dobermans I am no longer fearful of. Rott's I am also no longer fearful of. When my husband told me he wanted a doberman I said okay, because number one we were in a apartment and I didn't think we would be getting a house any time soon. We did a bunch of research, we read anything we could. I was still very afraid. After all dobermans are a powerful breed, they were scary to me, and looked mean and were mean. No matter how much I read about them.

Then we went to a smaller dog show. We went in search of this breed. We found a few breeder/handlers. They would not let us ask any questions. So then we ran into one guy, he had 4 or 5 dobes standing at his side. They looked like the perfect dobe we all see. This guy was very nice, he let us pet them, hug them play with them and so on. I was a little stand offish. Every now and then when the dog wasn't looking I petted it's back. After that meeting I became some what okay with the idea of a dobe.

A month or two later we bought our house, and began looking for a dobe. I filled out all the paper work, I did all the feeding and potty breaks. Mean while I was still afraid. After the first 2 weeks or so my fears slowly went away. I am no longer afraid of a dobe. To me now they are a push over breed. Not in a bad way but a good way. Yes they are powerful, in the wrong hands they can be very mean. But for the most part, they love everyone and all they want is someone to pet them. They guy we met jokingly told me that if a doberman every attacks just reach over and pet it, they all calm down when they are petted. :)

I am also a huge cat person. I love cats what's not to love about them? Maybe have you wife get on this forum and read some of our posts. That might help her a little in her fears. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the help guys ... Sure as Gracie's suggested I'll get her to get on the forum and read the posts ... may be ... just maybe :)
After all , she was bitten by GSD a while back and now she has one living with her :)

·
Super Moderator
15,371 Posts
I'll have to add that I have never met a mean doberman, rott, or other large breed notorious for having a forcefull instinct. In fact, it seems the only dogs that have been fearful of me, and I them, were smaller breeds, papillons, beagles etc. of course, any dog if not properly maintained can become ill-mannered. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK guys ... here is the deal

My wife and I will be visiting the same breeder again maybe next weekend and spend more time with the dogs just to give her a better idea of the dogs' nature ... we'll c

talk 2 ya

·
Registered
521 Posts
Lexus said:
First off, hello and wecome to Doberman talk! We always love to have more doberman enthusiasts!

I feel dutybound to tell you that male dobermans are notoriously aggressive with other males they live with. Many people do have males that are able to live together, I did years and years back, but I don't recommend it at all because of the overwhelming risks involved to both dogs in the majority of instances. It is ususally aggression that will show up when they are full grown and completely unexpectedly. There are people that live now with two males that have to be separated at ALL times, to keep them from killing or maiming eachother.

I'd recommend a female in your case, and pretty much any reputable breeder or rescue you come across will do the same.

Would you be interested in a rescued dog? Always nice to give a good animal a good life!As for a going to a breeder, we have a great section in the breeding area about choosing a reputable breeder.

Have you ever had a doberman before? They are a wonderful breed, but not always ideal for everyone after they learn more about them. Can you tell us what it is about dobermans that make you want to add one to your family? Are you active in any activities, OB, rally, tracking, etc... that you want to use it for? Then maybe we can answer some of your questions a little better.
I totally agree with Lexy. I have been wanting another dobe too.

·
Extraordimary
4,927 Posts
GSD009 said:
OK guys ... here is the deal

My wife and I will be visiting the same breeder again maybe next weekend and spend more time with the dogs just to give her a better idea of the dogs' nature ... we'll c

talk 2 ya
What province are you in? Perhaps I can make some breeder and/ or rescue recommendations.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts