Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

We've been looking for a while now for an adult Doberman (male or female) that is good with kids, other dogs and generally an awesome dog. Preferably between 1 and 4 years old. (We'd like to have a dog that will be around for a few years.)

We have a 2 year old son, so it's really, really important that the dog be good with kids. We'd like a dog that doesn't have separation issues, and that we're able to leave at home for a few hours without disturbing the neighbours or eating the house. :) I work only 3 days a week and the rest of the time I'm at home. Occasionally my husband works from home, so the dog won't be left on its own very much. We also have a great doggie daycare nearby if there's an issue with that. We live in North Vancouver and are active hiking trails and running, so you can be assured we will give your dog the best new home possible.

We have experience with Dobermans (I've owned a few in the past, and shown two of them). My last Dobie passed away at 11.5 years old. After him, we had a Miniature English Bull Terrier, who just passed away at 8.5 years old from a spleen tumour.

We know its a difficult decision to part with a beloved pet, so we promise we'd keep in touch with updates if that's something you'd want.

Pricing/details negotiable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know. I know. It's so hard though to be sure we're going to get a dog that's compatible for our family without meeting him/her first. The expense and emotional toll of flying a dog out to find out its not suitable would be so difficult. Unless I had someone in Ontario who could ensure the dog was absolutely 100% sweet and laid back and would be okay with our son.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay so... IF we could have a guarantee that the dog is great with kids and other dogs, then we'd be willing to consider flying them out here from other locations in Canada... I might need a point person in the location to help with arrangements...

Anyone willing to assist?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Check with local rescues, petfinder and call local shelters to see who has dobies. Let them know what you're looking for and how much you're willing to put into a dog. They'll match you up or put you on a wait list for when they get what you want.

Nice dogs may not stay in a shelter for more than a few hours if the adoption people are active and call adopters asap. Your local shelter may get some in and adopt them out without ever advertising the dog so it's good to call them and let them know what you're looking for.

I'd also think hard on a dobie if you're planning on having more kids. Dobies need dedicated exercise and training time daily for basic health and good behavior. The more young kids you have the less time and energy you have to dedicate to the dog. 2 or 3 kids take way more time than one child and when they start going to school and activities, your schedule comes second.

NOT saying don't do it but just be really honest with yourselves about what you expect your daily dog dedicated time to be like in the future. Everyone wants to hike with a dog on the weekend in warm sunny weather but not a lot of people plan the daily aerobic exercise and mental training dobies in particular need regardless of weather or your schedule...then they blame the dog.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have contacted most of the local rescue groups including the BC Doberman Pinscher Club. I've contacted Dobie Rescues across Canada in case the hear of a suitable dog in BC that needs help. I've also contacted a number of reputable breeders in BC to let them know. Believe me, I'm making sure the word gets out! :)

I've owned Dobies before so I am fully aware of what it takes to look after one, though I appreciate your concern AKhiker. We're a mature, professional couple in our mid-forties, and don't plan on having any more children. Just one child and one dog. That's all I need to keep me happy. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...speaking of more than one kid with a Dobie, I think you're absolutely right AKhiker. Most of the "family" dobies I see for sale, are for sale because the family is expecting a second child and don't have time for the dog.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
do a petfinder search for just across the border in Washington too.

a few years ago I adopted a female doberman from a rescue down there. Had a few people help get her here to me.

the Koko Puff rescue 'train'. :)

she was an awesome dog.

just did a quick check and I see the rescue I got Koko from has a female............... http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/29035772/

just saw this guy in our area............ http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/29037857/ I would check him out for sure.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Megan Wheeler had a 4 year old male returned to her, I don't know if he is still available, but you can find her post on FB - the Doberman Pinscher Breeder Listings page.

eta: she's in Whiterock

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Darkevs! Already on to Monty, and Mya. I've also contacted Megan Wheeler about her dog, but not sure he'd be good for us because he has an history of foreign object obstruction, and out wee boy has a lot of toys... still, I put the word out. Thanks so much for all the info!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE! We have been fortunate enough to find a lovely Dobie girl who needed a new home. She was raised by a wonderful family full of kids, so although she has a few minor issues, I'm hoping everything will work out. We're flying her from Ontario to Vancouver.

Thanks to everyone for the help, and the suggestions of places to look. I wouldn't have thought of contacting anyone in Ontario if SieYa hadn't mentioned it. :)

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts