Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a Doberman in the near future. Before I do I wanted to hear first hand from actual owners. I should tell you a little backround about myself and the dogs future environment. First and most important, I have 4 kids ages 17,13,7,5. Each child having friends over from time to time. My wife is home with the kids at night while I work a swing shift. I do work days sometimes and my wife has an 8 hr, M-F job. This would be my primary reason for looking at a Doberman. Dobermans rate in every top ten list for good guard dog. Family protection in my mind is the primary function of a dog along with companionship for each family member. Second most important factor to consider is the existing family pets. A German Shepherd Dog about 8 years, a Yellow Lab, and two cats. Both dog are well behaved and great with the kids. At 8 years old the GSD is starting to move slow and could live from 9 to 12 years according to some sources. We have a larger lot about 3/4 acre with a fenced in portion. Dobermans set fear into just about anyone which is part of the high rating in guarding. So my question: Will I have to fear the dog hurting my kids? Will I have to fear the dog hurting my kids friends? Will I have to fear the dog hurting my cats? Will I have to fear the dog hurting my Dogs? With your personal experience with this breed will it fit in with my family?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I will be getting my fourth Dobe in a couple of weeks. All have been Kid friendly & loves everyone. I think if you get them when they are puppies & they are around lots of people .. They are grea tdogs.Mine go to horse shows with me & get lots of socialization because it is only Hubby & I at home but we have lots of people over. The dogs are never put away when people come :) All go through a couple of courses of Obedience training too.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Dobermans set fear into just about anyone which is part of the high rating in guarding. So my question: Will I have to fear the dog hurting my kids? Will I have to fear the dog hurting my kids friends? Will I have to fear the dog hurting my cats? Will I have to fear the dog hurting my Dogs? With your personal experience with this breed will it fit in with my family?
It all depends on TRAINING and SOCIALIZING. Are you prepared for another dog that will need an excessive amount of training, and time to go places? Puppy classes?

Do you have male dogs in your home?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My GSD is well behaved and naturally obedient. The lab, I rescued at 2 years. But I would not consider either of the two I have to have need excessive training. Is the Doberman a difficult bread?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My brother has two dog and my two dogs and we get together and go to the dog park once a week to every other week. Sometime my brother just brings his over to play in the yard.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ripley is my first large dog, so others with multiple large dogs hopefully will chime in. But knowing they were breed for working and being active, I had know idea until she was here how much energy she was going to take. My husband and I do not have children and I work part-time. And she needs constant watching and entertaining, she'll be two next month. My parents watched her for four days, and my dad could believe her energy. He said she didn't misbehave :D but she was constantly wanting to play. If he wasn't playing with her she was pokin' her nose in his face and every where else.
Not trying to talk you out of the Doberman. Just seems like you might have a busy life right now.

·
Nub Enthusiast
392 Posts
Dobermans are a difficult breed. They're very intelligent and some will be intentionally defiant at times. I'm 17 and this is my first real excursion into having my own pet. This probably was not my best decision, seeing as I had no training experience and Dobies are tough... but I've worked a lot with him, and I've worked very hard. At almost 9 months, some of it is finally showing, but then... he's also in the Doberteens, so some days he just doesn't do anything for me.

I live with my 51 year old mother, 8 cats, and two Pomeranians. My Dobe, Kaiser, is male, and the Poms are both female. Kaiser doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body and has never hurt any of the other pets. Nevertheless, most of our cats are afraid of him. Only three of them will tolerate him; the rest avoid him at all costs. He plays a little rough for our Poms, so sometimes we have to stop him, but he has no intentions of hurting them. He just doesn't always know when to stop. One of our Poms will leave the room and go upstairs, but the other one (bless her heart) is just too darn stupid to leave. He gets on her nerves after awhile, but she's a little dog aggressive, too, so we have to watch her.

Although Kaiser is not in the least aggressive, he still gets protective when we're outside and there's something rustling around in the woods at night. I don't doubt for a second that he could save my life at whatever cost if he needed to.

While picking a Doberman for my first real dog owning experience may not have been the wisest decision, as it's often led to frustration and exasperation, I would not trade my baby boy for the world. I've never been more attached to an animal in my life (and I've had many during my lifetime!), and I don't think I'll ever be without a Doberman again.

I would recommend getting a female Dobe, just to nix any chance of same sex aggression between your dogs. If you do get one, you'd also want to keep a close eye on her with your GSD, just because he is old and Dobies do play rough. Your GSD could get hurt by accident, so it'd just be wise to make sure things never got too rough.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would just add to the excellent advice already given, this....Major is our first Doberman. We have a 16 year old still at home, but 2 21 yr olds who are away in college but come home regularly. We have a pretty steady stream of visitors/strangers who come into our home on a regular basis. Major is leery of most at first, but warms up quickly. And once he's met someone, he remembers them even if they haven't visited in months. Occasionally a new person will come who he just doesn't seem to like, for whatever reason, but he never has been aggressive with anyone. Strange dogs on our property are a whole other story, however. He's never attacked one, but he lets them know they are not welcome. That could be our fault for not dog-socializing him enough. We also have a Yorkie, who Major loves. It's the Yorkie who doesn't much like Major. We also have a cat. Major and the cat don't get along at all. Anyway, I would not be concerned about a Doberman not getting along well with any person, but I would be concerned about bringing one into a home with other dogs, especially males. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I couldn't love my Sammy any more if I had too :) He's a working therapy dog so he's exposed to all sorts of humans, kids and other animals. But he wasn't born this way. I did everything in my power to make sure he was well socialized and trained. He lives with a 10lb min-pin, his partner in crime and BFF.

Although I didn't know this document existed when he was growing up, this is how I handled his upbringing:

"The secret to successful living with a Doberman is to give him a daily function in the family environment, letting him clearly know what is expected of him, and remain constant in those boundaries for the rest of your dogs life. A Doberman needs to have variety, not just in the home, but where ever possible, give him a change of scenery, taking your pup with you to as many different places as possible creates a steady dog who will be able to discern when there is a ‘real’ threat and not just normal life happening. It is important to show your Dobe as many different people, atmospheres, environments and attitudes as possible, this allows the Dobe to be able to not only make some necessary decision himself, but will create a steady and firm temperament.

Exposure to these situations, coupled with fair discipline will help your Dobe bond to you and also be able to make decisions as to when he should or should not act, in the event that you are unable to give a command.

If started from the moment you Dobe enters the home, training can and should be rewarding".

source: Doberman Pinscher Club of America: Living With a Dobe

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
Keep in mind this is not a stay alone outside breed by any means. They have to know where their humans are, and if given the choice/chance, will just climb right into bed with you and cuddle every night.

Male on male aggression is an issue. Do your homework for a healthy dobe --- do not buy from a backyard breeder as they are more likely to produce dogs that have health issues, temperament problems, etc.

Consider rescuing a dobe pup from a rescue society, or else expect to pay a decent amount of moenytto buy froma good quality breeder. And expect a good quality breeder to be picky about YOU, making sure you're the right fit for their dobe!

Otherwise, with the right training, socialization and just plain afection, this is the best breed on earth.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I'm on my 3rd. 1st one was a male and horribly abused. He was a lover boy with a loud bark. A female 10 month old that was wild but once we went to school and changed our ways at home, she was a gem, super smart, not a mean bone in her body. Another loud mouth. Now, we have Oliver, he had a rough start in life and we treated him like the others, big mistake. I think getting him at 4 months and the 1st 4 months of his life were bad, he had never been outside and was terrified. The young ones need 24 hr a day superivsion. They have a way of getting into everything and they grow so fast they can reach everything. Be prepared to be tired. We are both retired now, so it really doesn't matter to us. The puppies can't be left to make decisions. Don't get me wrong, Oliver is worth every bit of this. They aren't like other dogs. Not trying to discourage you, just want you to know what to expect.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Doberman Talk!

meet and great as many dobes as you can.

see if you are the right kind of person for them too.

good luck with your reserach and search for just the right dog. Please check into a rescue dog as well.

Hugz to you and yours.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
just arm the kids. Shouldn't be the reason to get a doberman. And I wouldn't bring in a male doberman given you already have male dogs.
Where would the dog(s) be during the day when you are both at work?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts