Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
375 Posts
Every breeder i have talked to offered one. LOL.. Z factored or not...and i chose this one because this is the color i wanted.... so just so you know that is a false statement a good breeder not only wants to cover their dogs but also cover their owners... You dont have to necessarily have a problem to be a good breeder.....

I talked to approximately 50 breeders that all had the same... z factored and not z factored... LOL

·
Registered
266 Posts
whiteandblue said:
yes they did... and the genetic test on my pup came back clear... and good... i have 7 yr genetic and health garauntee on him...... i will not breed him unless he is properly check out... if not sorry for him he is getting the big snip snip... lol.... and he may not like it but he will deal with it... im sure

What "genetic test" did you have done? What did it test for? What lab was it sent to?

You've said before that you plan to breed him in 18 months if everything checks out alright... However (maybe my math is wrong), but wouldn't he still be under 2 years at that point? But in order to have OFA evaluate hips, the dog must be at least 24 months... So, do you plan to breed before you get him OFA tested?

Since you can't show him in AKC conformation, are you planning to do anything else to prove his superiority? Are you going to take the WAE? How about traditional obedience or other sports?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
How long are those health tests good for before you should retest? Yearly for some? Or just before any breeding? Are any of them life long tests that you kind your bitch doesn't carry that fault? I know hip and elbows are redone, not sure about the time frame though...... What about the one for eyes? Is there a test for wobblers being carried genetically? (maybe I missed it if you listed any of this, if so I apologize!)

·
Banned
375 Posts
Lexus im not for sure about dobe breeders but i know my aunt, who has beagles, and uncle who has english bull dogs do it before each breeding and on one of the champion male english bulldogs he does it yearly because he is shown and breed more often... :D hugs.... i mean if you breed twice a year you obviously are going to test twice a year :D

hope that helped :D

·
Banned
375 Posts
elle said:
What "genetic test" did you have done? What did it test for? What lab was it sent to?

You've said before that you plan to breed him in 18 months if everything checks out alright... However (maybe my math is wrong), but wouldn't he still be under 2 years at that point? But in order to have OFA evaluate hips, the dog must be at least 24 months... So, do you plan to breed before you get him OFA tested?

Since you can't show him in AKC conformation, are you planning to do anything else to prove his superiority? Are you going to take the WAE? How about traditional obedience or other sports?

My boys test were taken to UW since i live next to this place... and that isnt true... they can checka t any age but not until two years old does the test become actually the way it is... LOL... i will breed him at 18 months if everything does. provided... that i can at the time do that...

he is hopefully going to do agility before we breed him as well as I am registered under a few different places where i can also show both my dobes and yes i would like him to win but if he doesnt it doesnt make him any less of a doberman...

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
whiteandblue said:
My boys test were taken to UW since i live next to this place... and that isnt true... they can checka t any age but not until two years old does the test become actually the way it is... LOL... i will breed him at 18 months if everything does. provided... that i can at the time do that...

he is hopefully going to do agility before we breed him as well as I am registered under a few different places where i can also show both my dobes and yes i would like him to win but if he doesnt it doesnt make him any less of a doberman...
what tests are you talking about.

you cant POSSIBLY be running a thyroid on him.
NO ONE would OFA a 3 month old dog - they wont even PennHip that early.
CERF CAN be done, that i will give you.
you couldnt pOSSIBLY be asking for either OFA cardiac evaluation or an echo/holter at this point, hes a puppy.

so WHAT on earth are you testing for? you cant even FIND half of these diseases in an 18 month old dog - but yup, gotta breed em young and pump them out quick before we find the diseases, right?

having a penis and being able to reproduce doesnt mean you SHOULD. its like talking to a wall. a penis isnt a magic wand. it wont make hypothyroidism, DCM, IVDD, CVI go away. neither will ignoring it.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
whiteandblue said:
i agree also... not so much necessarily about the champion thing but definately about ppl wating to breed with no testing... which is the MOST IMPORTANT THING! It is unfortunate that some ppl breed without proper tests and we dont know what is in their genes...

erm -- like you? who wants to breed your dog at 18 months, before its even old enough to TEST for all but one of the diseases dobes get?

·
Registered
33 Posts
you should never breed a White dobermans, these colors will come out of the Reds and Fawns plus this little insert from a Doberman FAQ's page will give you some more insight:

WHITE DOBERMANS
In 1980's the white Doberman made it's appearance and it has been found that the white gene is a separate gene, and is located at a different genetic site (locus) than the color (B) and dilution (D) that is the basis of the four allowed colors for the Doberman. The white gene does not interfere with these four known colors of the Doberman and does not need to be included in the color chart.

The white Doberman is considered an incomplete or partial albino. The dogs have blue eyes and are cream colored with light tan markings. The dogs suffer from photo phobia (photosensitive). This means the dogs cannot tolerate light, often closing their eyes and bumping into objects when put in unfamiliar surroundings. Their temperaments range from being very shy to fear biters. These are not the attributes a responsible breeder or one that is familiar with the criteria of a working dog wish to produce or perpetuate.

WARNING: The white Doberman is NOT considered to be of great value (charging more/more expensive) by Responsible Breeders. Responsible Breeders DO NOT include the white Doberman in their breeding stock/programs.

The WHITE color is a DISQUALIFICATION and these dogs CANNOT COMPETE in the conformation ring

notice the part of Responsible breeders not including the white doberman in their programs, you need to Alter your Doberman and stop destroying the breed. At least I train mine for work, what are yours for? Oh yeah because their pretty. Breed for working ability, do not go to those stupid confirmation show rings as those dogs couldnt do the job the breed was bred for, Go to a working dog show and see a doberman working a Guy out of a blind or Attacking an "unfriendly stranger" watch the breed really work, and ask those Breeders and handlers what they look for in a Good Doberman, I said mine Bit me the first day I met him and someone thought my doberman has issues, sorry but if your doberman is too afraid to bite than he probably cant or wont be very good at Protection WORK.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Lexus said:
How long are those health tests good for before you should retest? Yearly for some? Or just before any breeding? Are any of them life long tests that you kind your bitch doesn't carry that fault? I know hip and elbows are redone, not sure about the time frame though...... What about the one for eyes? Is there a test for wobblers being carried genetically? (maybe I missed it if you listed any of this, if so I apologize!)
Unfortunately there isn't a test for wobblers. The eye test I'm not sure if it needs to be redone. thyroid should be a yearly thing. A holter should be done yearly, some even do it 2xs a year. vWD is a one time test. I'm not sure how often hips and elbows should be done.

·
Banned
375 Posts
micdobe said:
& year guarantee

Lysa Rector of Phantom albino Dobermans is the one who offers a 7 year health guarantee. And this puppy has Phantom in his name.

lisa rector isnt a breeder of albino dobes you have your name wrong LOL... dont speak unless you know...

cause obviously you dont....and just so you know i am now in contact with the breeder you think you know about... and i am buying another WHITE doberman FEMALE out of her next litter. :3dbiggrin

·
Registered
266 Posts
whiteandblue said:
lisa rector isnt a breeder of albino dobes you have your name wrong LOL... dont speak unless you know...

cause obviously you dont....and just so you know i am now in contact with the breeder you think you know about... and i am buying another WHITE doberman FEMALE out of her next litter. :3dbiggrin

Three doberman puppies while doing an internship/residency... my are you ambitious! I've heard because UW med is so community based that the students do a lot of out of state traveling to places like Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho. How do you plan to have three dogs and a litter of puppies while working 100 hour weeks, sometimes not even in the same state?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
whiteandblue said:

Hi there whiteandblue, just a thought, but I know you're concerned about whites being euthanized and such, why don't you go to a rescue and save one rather than buying a pup? Save a life ya know?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Lexus said:
Hi there whiteandblue, just a thought, but I know you're concerned about whites being euthanized and such, why don't you go to a rescue and save one rather than buying a pup? Save a life ya know?

time to seem heartless

because why continue a dog that an offbreed etc or below standard.

I spent the money so I could ensure 100% that I knew what I was getting into.

Once I have enough money to have testing performed to prove my pups status on paper I can then be a contribution the breed by carrying it on.

I dont believe that the whites should be euthanized, I just believe in insta-sterilization because I know they are pretty, but the farther we stretch things from the original gene the harder it will be to maintain quality.

For example, We all know about the one stupid hick we wish would fall off the universe, Do you want him having kids? I think not. We need less offshoots as possible.

im out. :sprint:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
That's not heartless to me! I agree 120% that's why I suggested saving a rescue rather than breeding and promoting the breeding of more.
Even if you are personally ok with the breeding and continuation of whites yourself whiteandblue, you have mentioned several times that it is the anti white people causing the senseless euthanization (although I have NEVER bore witness to anything of the such, but you insist it is happening) if whites.

It seems to me that you would be standing in line to adopt a white and "save" it's life rather than buy a puppy from a breeder, As you are speaking out so strongly that whites need help. That puppy will get a home, but a rescue may not.....

·
Banned
375 Posts
i have though... as well as i have talked to many dobie breeders and we are talking show dobes that have won and champs that are very recognized...in the AKC world that have said prince is the most beautiful dobe theyve ever seen but that they are surprised he was euthanized like 95% of the other white dobies out there...

these people are people that show their dobes and people that judge the shows... so people do do it and they do it everywhere... this is DPCA sanctioned thing...

as will the new puppy i buy to breed with... im not breeding for whites lexus lol.. thats just crazy... i just think if i get them then great...ill sell em... but i also know that you are correct rescueing white dobes would be awesome for me... and i would love to do that... but as i said im not going to breed a white and white... i will breed my male to my blue or another blue... even though i am buyin another white female i wouldnt breed them...

Lisa Rector isnt even the right name. LOL... so go do your homework again and then come back with another name cause sorry that is wrong. :D

·
Banned
375 Posts
i dont have three dobes ... if you read my post i have two.. and i have a husband that is how that works... thank god for him and my parents or i would go crazy... i dont spend alot of time with them because when i get home they are asleep... when i leave they are asleep and sometimes i only get to see them when my husband brings them to get their ears taped or i have an emergency vet trip like to day AAAAAAAAAAH! tired of seeing the vet.... i dont like her much anymore...

now elle can you read before you talk :D thank you for using your head from now on

·
Banned
375 Posts
Lexus said:

lexus i will probably do that hun... im not sure if i will buy a puppy.. i dont know if i can go thru another puppy for a while LOL.. these two are killing me.... but i agree with you hun

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.