Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Extraordimary
5,150 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
This is my first day on this board and I am dissapointed that some posters are breeding their untested, untitled dogs and others are talking about it.
Coal's Mom did a pretty good job of mentioning what health testing should be done, although I disagree that PRA is a problem in the breed. I realize that the DPCA site specifically mentions it, or used to - not sure why as I've barely heard of it in Dobermans. However, there is another eye problem in Dobermans, PHPV (I can never remember what it stands for) that is more prevalent, and specifically more prevalent in European bloodlines.

Before breeding, IMO, a Doberman should have at least a CERF eye exam, OFA hip and elbow evaluations, a cardiac ultrasound, a 24 hour Holter monitor exam, full thyroid panel, vWD DNA test, liver and kidney panel, CBC, and brucellosis test. Hopefully, it goes without saying that whatever dog is being bred to would also have the same testing.

That's a start.

As Coal's mom said, any Doberman being bred should also be a sound representative of its breed as evidenced by a conformation title or breed survey, and should be temperament tested.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.