Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
**cookies mum**
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
evening everyone.....

After abit of advice:)....how many walks and how long for should i be walking my 10 weeks old dobe? at the moment she has two 15-20 min walks a day...i read on the internet a while ago that they should have about 5 min walking for every month of there age (so 2 months old = 10 mins of walking and so on) is this about right? i also spoke to a lady that had a dobe a few years ago and said i shouldnt be walking her untill 6 months and up until then she should be kept in the garden!!!!....xx

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
^^^^ interesting formula...never seen before / but at some point in time, their is a max. time walking.

I don't take the needed walking exercise as serious, as some.
Instead, I inside play with the pup a lot (fresbee, tug, tennis ball, soft wrestle, soft bite muzzle control, gonna get you, hid & seek, etc.) every evening.
Once read: 20 minutes of mental stimulation = 60 minute walk.

We have a small park around the corner that boarders on a wooded ravine.
About the length of 2 football fields away...started going there at 3 months old (1/day) / walk there...let her snoop around...short walk back.

Pup at 4.5 months old onward....usually 30 minute walk (1/day)...sometimes 40 minutes tops.
With OB training puppy daily (on & off leach).

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I have seen people come on here with pups that began to knuckle over from even 20 minute walks on sidewalks/pavement. It is the hard surface mainly. Over grass is not going to be as bad cause it cushions the joints. The five minutes per month of age sounds like good advice to me. As has already been said, playing with your puppy is the best exercise. When a puppy gets tired, they quit. Not so with trying to keep up with mommy or daddy on a walk, as they fear being left behind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts