Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It finely quit raining long enough to go for a long walk today Buddy wearing his back pack with water on each side. I walked him for an hour & a half he still wild has no idea what personal space is I do obedience everyday with him.Most times he acts like he does not hear me I will only tell him once then I make him do what I asked him too.(example a down) he pops up like the Jack In the Box. Buddy is going to be 15 months old on the 28th of this month I do not see any improvement in this dog he is still just as wild as ever???? Am I doing something wrong.Maybe he needs Valium or I do maybe he has ADD or something guess I'm getting discouraged with his lack of progress working to-wards the CGC in July but I just do not know about him.He is the first dog at this age I have ever had that has not had free run of the house have to keep Patches Toys all picked up or Buddy eats them.Even my husband wonders if he will ever settle down he asks me is that dog ever going to calm down I just say I do not know.I also do the NILF with him at meal times, petting, & treats.
Also Buddy is shedding like crazy have him on skin oil capsules from the vet any other ideas also brush him which he does not like.
Patches Mom
sorry if I sound like a broken record.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Hang in there. He is still very young.
For your down. Have you tried putting his treat in between his front legs when he is in a down. He will soon figure that if he is in a down there will be a treat coming but only when he is down. If he remains there give him more. This is a jackpot--he won`t move waiting for more. (also helps if he is hungry when you are training) Feed him his meal--all or part while working him. Usually makes for one attentive dog.
Sheddding hair. Lint rollers work great. Removes a lot of hair.:)

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Yikes.....I'm tired now.....I can't imagine in another 7 months when Petey is that age! I do think he has a bit more maturing to do.....I've been told with the males it's more like 2 to 2.5 years old, until they stop acting like huge puppies. Keep it up, one day he will get it. Think of how much energy he has taken to grow so huge, now he needs time to get used to his body, and hopefully his brain will now catch up....just like male children, I know all about that...actually....do their brains ever catch up????

Carol

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Sounds like Buddy is related to Chi :)
Lots of exercise will help - Does he play frisbee or ball? Chi's balls and frisbees are what saves us when I can't run with her - several 15-20 minute games a day will keep the edge off her craziness on days we don't run or only run short (short run for us is 3-5 miles).
I've also recently discovered that setting aside 30-45 minutes and working obedience helps a lot. Not only does it give her some physical exercise but it's mental stimulation and reinforces me as the boss. We generally just go over things she already knows, fine tune and have started working on a few tricks again. She is truly a dog that needs a job and when she doesn't have one, she gets very creative in making one up - ie. killing the trash, shredding socks (they're evil, you know?), pacing perimeter checks throughout the house (an evil sock might be lurking about). Personal space is an issue with Chi too. I've never known a dog that would step on you rather than walk around you. It drives me crazy but we're working on it :)
Buddy is also still very young - Chi is 2 and just now starting to calm down. But I still have to stay on my toes with her and wonder if ever she'll be able to stay out of her kennel for longer periods of time when we're gone.
You took him on a good long walk today but it sounds like he may have been cooped up because of the rain for awhile. If you can get a walk like that in every day for 4 or 5 days in a row, I bet you'll see some improvement.
Good luck and try to be patient (hard, I know), he will find his brain and calm down eventually :)

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone I hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel I will trust you guys and your knowledge of the breed it is so discouraging at times. I really hope Buddy has a brain some where.Maybe he was not there the day they were passed out he is that goofy.
Patches Mom

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
patches mom- as for the shedding and his dislike of brushing.......
I use those knit gardening gloves with the rubber nubbies on the palm side of the glove. I just pet Rudi down really good and it picks up a lot of hair...then I throw them into the washer. Most of the time I'll spray a solution of Keri lotion and water along his back and them wipe him down with the glove. Works great for us on keeping the flakies and shedding hair away!
The gloves usually can be found at the dollar store for about $1-2 for a pack of 3 pairs!

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
An hour and a half at a walk isn't nearly enough to tire out a dog and 15 months is still a very active age. A LOT more exercise and time will make things better. ;)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
It finely quit raining long enough to go for a long walk today Buddy wearing his back pack with water on each side. I walked him for an hour & a half he still wild has no idea what personal space is I do obedience everyday with him.Most times he acts like he does not hear me I will only tell him once then I make him do what I asked him too.(example a down) he pops up like the Jack In the Box. Buddy is going to be 15 months old on the 28th of this month I do not see any improvement in this dog he is still just as wild as ever???? .
I really think you need to be more firm with him more than anything else. Yes, adolescent dobermans can be a handful, at 15 months there *should* be some light visible at the end of the tunnel. From the sounds of it, he isn't taking you seriously at all. You're giving him too many options and he's out thinking you.

Why are you LETTING him pop back up before you release him from a down? Trainers get a free pass on that happening one time..after that, you can count on it happening again, and you need to know ahead of time what you're going to do about it.

If you know the dog is going to do that, then don't let it happen...either release him before he breaks (then praise for doing the exercise correctly), or correct him at the first *hint* he's going to break (and there's always body language that signals the dog is about to break).

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Hang in there...there is light at the end of the tunnel. The puppy stage can very trying. Most people think that when a large dog is grown they are mature and it really is not true for every breed. Lots of excercise and do not allow him to win at the obiedience. I really think that dogs can be just like kids. They will test their boundaries will determine what they can and can not get away with. If your boy is getting up too quickly from a down put him right back down until you allow him up. I would start with a very short down and increase the time as you work along. I know that it can be VERY frustrating bu trust me he will get it and it will be SO worth it in the end. :) :)

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I agree with Murreydobe, don't give him a chance to disobey. The minute he downs give him praise and relase him. He will soon learn, and increase the time slowly. In regards to the shedding, I use a curry bursh (rubber) and or a hound mitt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts