Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to share how happy I am right now :)
I was walking Phoenix on his morning walks this morning and as we are walking down the sidewalk I noticed a man with a smaller dog ahead of us. As we approach the man goes off the sidewalk because the big bad Doberman is coming!...he is only 7 months :) Anyways this happens often so we keep walking and pass them and as we are passing his dog freaks out and starts barking and screaming at Phoenix. Phoenix looked at me like what is he barking at? ..and kept walking not even bothering to stop to see what this crazy little dog was doing. It made me so happy how well behaved my 65lb puppy was when his 25lb dog was not as good. :)

I do have a question....He does walk perfectly on my right side of me without pulling at all. Sometimes he gets a little fast and has a little reminder with his prong collar on then he comes back to my side. We have had a lot of work walking and he does great but then when I put his regular collar on he acts like he has no idea what he is doing and pulls again. From what I read and just because it's obvious the nylon collars are not good if they are pulling because he being chocked. Any help on how I can transition into his regular collar out of his prong. He is perfect in prong but it is just a training tool and he needs to be able to walk in regular collar. Or do you guys always walk in prongs? I forgot to add when I try the regular nylon collar it is after he has had exercise and he is suppose to be tired....but still pulls. Thanks everyone for the help :)

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
Good job, Phoenix!

Have you tried walking him with the regular nylon while leaving the prong on, but not using it? Just wondering if maybe he is making the association of "Walking like this" with "wearing the prong" and not realizing he's supposed to do the same in a plain flat collar? (Kind of how a dog might learn a command with you standing in one room and not realize the command means the same thing in another room, or with you sitting down, etc.)

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
That is probably the biggest reason I typically start on the tool I want to use in the long run. I do use a sensation harness while young and training so I don't have to constantly train and we can all have fun.

I also don't typically use corrections for training. It doesn't always show the dog what to do, as you can see. I would start with the collar you want to use, go back to step one and reward for being in the correct position svs just correcting.

·
Frisbee Killer
79 Posts
Lars does the same thing, good with prong collar, pulls with flat collar. Ive tried using the prong and flat together but he is so smart that he pulls only when using the flat collar. I just use his prong when we go for walks. Flat collar's are more likely to do damage so its better to use prong collar. He see's me go for the prong collar and he gets so excited because its walk time.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I keep the dog on my left side. She doesn't pull at all. but this puppy is very skiddish around everything. She is almost a year old and above 70lbs. I use a choker but I'm old school. The first time I took her out I let her decide what she wanted to do and I would go the opposite way wit a slight yank. Then when she startet to follow me she got an award. So when we walk she is always doing her thing and also watching me. Funny with the story of the little dog. My wife wakl about 2 miles a day I walk the Doby and she walks the Pit-Bull. Some times if one of us is alone we use a double leash and both dogs are on it. A few time small unleashed dogs would run up to them. The Pit would want to play but the Doby is a little stand off to it.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Haha, don't you just love feeling VIP? Everyone parts and gives you space on the sidewalk :D Walking Chase on Younge Street in D/T Toronto always makes me giggle, because people are leaping away like they got burned, to reveal a half asleep doberman next to me :)

As for heeling at your side, I like the stop, start method, it keeps them thinking. I also mark a great 'heel' with treats.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I had to share how happy I am right now :)
I was walking Phoenix on his morning walks this morning and as we are walking down the sidewalk I noticed a man with a smaller dog ahead of us. As we approach the man goes off the sidewalk because the big bad Doberman is coming!...he is only 7 months :) Anyways this happens often so we keep walking and pass them and as we are passing his dog freaks out and starts barking and screaming at Phoenix. Phoenix looked at me like what is he barking at? ..and kept walking not even bothering to stop to see what this crazy little dog was doing. It made me so happy how well behaved my 65lb puppy was when his 25lb dog was not as good. :)

I do have a question....He does walk perfectly on my right side of me without pulling at all. Sometimes he gets a little fast and has a little reminder with his prong collar on then he comes back to my side. We have had a lot of work walking and he does great but then when I put his regular collar on he acts like he has no idea what he is doing and pulls again. From what I read and just because it's obvious the nylon collars are not good if they are pulling because he being chocked. Any help on how I can transition into his regular collar out of his prong. He is perfect in prong but it is just a training tool and he needs to be able to walk in regular collar. Or do you guys always walk in prongs? I forgot to add when I try the regular nylon collar it is after he has had exercise and he is suppose to be tired....but still pulls. Thanks everyone for the help :)
Mine does the same thing. On the prong collar she heels beautifully. No reminders, just an initial heel. I switch over on three different collars on our daily walks, we start with the prong, (she heels nicely), we do lots and lots of figure eights and turn arounds (much more than I care to count), she stops when I stop, etc etc. I'm not having her sit on her heels as of yet just stopping using the command wait. I'm also using wait as a choice word whenever we see a car drive past us (she likes to chase cars). As soon as I switch over to either the nylon choke or the regular buckle she starts pulling again like shes never walked on a leash before, what I find is working tremendously is just stopping. Eventually, (sometimes its quick sometimes its not and I feel like I am just standing still forever) she realizes that as long as she pulls we are not going anywhere, we will stay where we are, and she eventually gets back in position and starts to try to heal again. Its not easy by any means when I switch collars but every day it seems to get a tiny bit easier and easier but we still have a long ways to go. I'm confident she will get it as we practice ALOT. The prong is a wonderful tool but its just that, a tool, they really need to learn to heel on any collar or even without. Its all a matter I think of practice, practice, and just when you think you have it down, more practice. Every day I notice tiny improvements. Its just a waiting game till it all clicks now. It will happen soon, its just a waiting game at this point.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
What works for me, is stop and walks, ceasing altogether, and utilizing the slack on my leash.
I won't tolerate pulling period, because once his full grown I don't want an 80+ lb pulling and wrecking my back or pulling my shoulder out.
Nubis knows now, once I stop and start fails to work after two tries, I go right to dropping the slack and quick jerk correction.
I also started him as a pup slapping my left side of my leg, to let him know where I wanted him and rewarded with a small nibble treat. He knows they are on my left side.
I haven't ceased yet but I have given him a time out sit/stay and given the choice , walk or go home. he loves walking cuz he meets ppl and dogs and by chance have the same treats his dad has compliments secretly of his Dad.
I am holding out on a choker for walking as he is doing not bad on the flat collar, so the choker will be used temp as a heel perfection tool and once he is heeling good, switch off to the flat collar but once he falls out of line, I will switch over to the choker, as hr will wear both.
On a very positive note, we did a nice walk yesterday and he went up 10 steps and on way back down, he needed a slight bit of reassurance I was beside him and slowly went down.
Its a great confidence tool for the dog and strengthens our bond cuz I am his safety net and he has no reason to be scared of things when I am showing him and to trust me.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good job, Phoenix!

Have you tried walking him with the regular nylon while leaving the prong on, but not using it? Just wondering if maybe he is making the association of "Walking like this" with "wearing the prong" and not realizing he's supposed to do the same in a plain flat collar? (Kind of how a dog might learn a command with you standing in one room and not realize the command means the same thing in another room, or with you sitting down, etc.)

Thanks for response! Yes we have tried this..... I would walk him with both collars and then try to just pretend I'm doing something like giving him pet when I switch the leash to other collar but he is smart... Or maybe I'm not sneaky enough lol

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is probably the biggest reason I typically start on the tool I want to use in the long run. I do use a sensation harness while young and training so I don't have to constantly train and we can all have fun.

I also don't typically use corrections for training. It doesn't always show the dog what to do, as you can see. I would start with the collar you want to use, go back to step one and reward for being in the correct position svs just correcting.
Is a sensation harness the one that is under their armpit?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha, don't you just love feeling VIP? Everyone parts and gives you space on the sidewalk :D Walking Chase on Younge Street in D/T Toronto always makes me giggle, because people are leaping away like they got burned, to reveal a half asleep doberman next to me :)

As for heeling at your side, I like the stop, start method, it keeps them thinking. I also mark a great 'heel' with treats.

Hahaha seriously! If these people only knew these dogs. They see scary dogs and I just think.. If only they saw him earlier this morning cuddled up on me sleeping like he was 10lb lap dog lol

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine does the same thing. On the prong collar she heels beautifully. No reminders, just an initial heel. I switch over on three different collars on our daily walks, we start with the prong, (she heels nicely), we do lots and lots of figure eights and turn arounds (much more than I care to count), she stops when I stop, etc etc. I'm not having her sit on her heels as of yet just stopping using the command wait. I'm also using wait as a choice word whenever we see a car drive past us (she likes to chase cars). As soon as I switch over to either the nylon choke or the regular buckle she starts pulling again like shes never walked on a leash before, what I find is working tremendously is just stopping. Eventually, (sometimes its quick sometimes its not and I feel like I am just standing still forever) she realizes that as long as she pulls we are not going anywhere, we will stay where we are, and she eventually gets back in position and starts to try to heal again. Its not easy by any means when I switch collars but every day it seems to get a tiny bit easier and easier but we still have a long ways to go. I'm confident she will get it as we practice ALOT. The prong is a wonderful tool but its just that, a tool, they really need to learn to heel on any collar or even without. Its all a matter I think of practice, practice, and just when you think you have it down, more practice. Every day I notice tiny improvements. Its just a waiting game till it all clicks now. It will happen soon, its just a waiting game at this point.
Great advice! Glad to hear you are working on similar problem and this is working for you. I switched from flat to prong collar when he got to big to be pulling ( guess not to big but when he was younger I was getting him to catch up and he was interested in me not everything around us lol) but I feel it's important to get back to flat collar. I plan on using prong when he goes places with Alot of people but for walks needs flat. Thanks so much we are off on a walk!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What works for me, is stop and walks, ceasing altogether, and utilizing the slack on my leash.
I won't tolerate pulling period, because once his full grown I don't want an 80+ lb pulling and wrecking my back or pulling my shoulder out.
Nubis knows now, once I stop and start fails to work after two tries, I go right to dropping the slack and quick jerk correction.
I also started him as a pup slapping my left side of my leg, to let him know where I wanted him and rewarded with a small nibble treat. He knows they are on my left side.
I haven't ceased yet but I have given him a time out sit/stay and given the choice , walk or go home. he loves walking cuz he meets ppl and dogs and by chance have the same treats his dad has compliments secretly of his Dad.
I am holding out on a choker for walking as he is doing not bad on the flat collar, so the choker will be used temp as a heel perfection tool and once he is heeling good, switch off to the flat collar but once he falls out of line, I will switch over to the choker, as hr will wear both.
On a very positive note, we did a nice walk yesterday and he went up 10 steps and on way back down, he needed a slight bit of reassurance I was beside him and slowly went down.
Its a great confidence tool for the dog and strengthens our bond cuz I am his safety net and he has no reason to be scared of things when I am showing him and to trust me.

Yes I agree that is whole reason I tried prong to make him a good walker before he got bigger.. Well he's perfect now and bigger but I didn't think he would go back to pulling on flat.. Kinda wish stuck with flat longer :/ it's ok though more practice and training it is! I will try stop and walk.. When he pulls I would do a circle (just because that's that I do with my horses when they get quick lol ) thank!

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Its just practice and being consistent.
If your guy loves walking (im sure every dobe does) then stop and walks work bcuz you are showing who is in control and temporarily ceasing the walking.
When I stop and walk I drop the leash slack and before he reaches the end, I give a correction by a quick jerk. Nubis now will not get to the end of the leash and will stop because he has learned he will get a correction.once he stops I walk up, pause , then lead off and give verbal OK. If he walks off before me, we play the same game.
It lets the dog know, you are in control of the walk and You are walking him, not him walking you, because once they are pulling, in their mind they are controlling the walk by physical force.
When I first introduced stop and walk to Nubis, we must have stopped 10 times before I got to the end of the street.but once I turned around and said were going home, he grasped the idea. In his excitement seeing ppl or dogs on a walk , he will still attempt but I will play the same game or sit/stay timeout.
I talk to my guy all the time and often saying walk or go home snaps him out of doing what he wants.
Its really a control issue and trying to instiill in him, the walk is for me not him. LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts