Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tested Lexi walking off leash for the first time yesterday.

What a nerve racking experience!

There is another man in my building who has a 2 year old red doberman named Lucy, who I meet on walks every now and then. I saw him in the field next to my building and he convinced me to give it a try...

His dobe runs free all the time and returns to him when called so Lexi basically just followed/chased her around. They get along well.

There was only one time when Lucy came back and Lexi did not follow, or come when I called her, but, it only took me 5 minutes to find her eat eating grass in the trees...that was enough for me to keep her on the leash the rest of the walk because I value my family jewels...something that would be promptly removed by my girlfriend had I come home with news of a lost dog!!

Doesn't look like she is ready to attempt this on her own until she has a good recall!

I got an awesome video of Lexi at the park as well. As soon as I find the USB cord for my camera I'll post it to youtube and share :)

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I was taking pictures of Dreizehn in a HUGE (and empty of other people and animals) field the other day and he was off leash on a sit-stay. He was doing pretty good and when my dad showed up you could just tell that Dreizehn wanted to run to him. I figured that since Dreizehn's recall is about 98% it wouldn't be a problem.

Well, at one point my dog was about 100 yards away and didn't come back when I called him and I was seconds away from a panic attack. Of course, he did comer back - eventually. No more off-leash time for Dreizehn unless we're somewhere that is completely fenced in.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
...............Doesn't look like she is ready to attempt this on her own until she has a good recall!

I got an awesome video of Lexi at the park as well. As soon as I find the USB cord for my camera I'll post it to youtube and share :)
YES - LEXI is READY...more than YOU (I would guess)....and I say this sincerely, just need a little shift, in dog thinking.
I train puppy off-leash...before on-leash / "reverse dog training engineering", I coined it...LOL.
(BUT, its all in the prep. work fundimentals & true bonding...and I don't use bribe treats or clicker, so if that is your method...sorry I can't help today)

Dave - read my recent thread, this is after 11 years...all off-leash trained, personally by myself...from a 4.5 month old puppy:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberma...rement-home-reno-under-reno-dad-so-proud.html

KW is a good friend of mine...now read this puppy thread (just a recent example), and Diesel has the solid foundation...I look for:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-related-chat/67052-adventures-mountain-photo-bomb.html

Dobe Amy controlled off-leash, walking city streets..wmv
This video, could have been taken, 11 years ago / Amy was walking off-leash on city main street sidewalks & intersections at 6.5 months young:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgnM067oZKc

P.S. - I once trained a dober (free for 1 hour) that was eating household drywall...had her loving the OB excerise and in control...before we finished.
- owner didn't realize her strengths, and she eventually accepted and happily worked with the different attention and clear expections...I asked for

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beaumont67, you're absolutly right. I'm not ready. At least not without another dog that I can trust will return.

I want to trust her more off leash but her focus just isn't where I want it to be, especially when crossing other dogs/animals.
She also forgets sometimes that jumping up at people is unacceptable and in my area there are many many people who fear dogs. I don't want to be "that" person, ya know?

I started clicker training her at 8 weeks old. I phased it out after she was completely obediant in the house. I do take it with me for outside training and I have been thinking about getting her a long leash to give her that distance and work on caling her back to me reliably. So yes, I believe some more prep work is needed.

The problem I had faced with training her off leash near my building was that she was very young and it was winter time, so outside time was often but short. Also, sadly...there are to many slobs that throw their garbage on the ground, be it food or smashed bottles etc...I am worried and am sure that Lexi will get into something bad. The other day I saw a spilled bottle of some sort of pills on the grass....which, even now she would likely want to sample.

Am I being overly protective perhaps?

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
My last pup came in the midst of winter (Feb.) so we played every night, on the living room floor, watching CNN out of 1 eye...He-He.
The beauty of inside work first, its in a controlled space.

Once you have the inside work perfected, take it out side to reinforce & test.
If the outside recall gets sluffed off, put Lexi on a 25-30 ft thin nylon rope...give the COME command once, and reel in the dobe...to your feet.

******************************************************************************************************

Shy pup, lazy pup, lacking drive, lacking bond recall, eye focus, etc...this is what I start with, to build foundation, respect & desire to please:
- check out a few of my posts, and the embedded video links (specifically post #7):
- plus the Leersburg ones, has some great training/play videos - http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/66669-shy-pup.html

Check out my writeup, for a little more detail...I concentrate on the basics more, in the earliest puppy period:
- COME & SIT (first)
- FETCH & COME with tennis ball & frisbee (rotate them).......on my "A" List
- TUG-OF WAR......fun way to curb boredom.........................on my "A" List
- STAY
- DOWN
- Soft Bite Control............................................................on my "A" List
I do these initially, as a foundation for eye & ear focus & bonding...then other dog commands, are easier to master.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lexi is near perfect inside. Although now that she's accepted me as the dominent one she's battling my girlfriend for second seed. I just picked up on this yesterday. :)

I've been working with her outside as well but I'm still having a large issue with distractions, I suppose I should work on her outside focus before I try to train her to come, etc. If she sees another dog she gets over excited to say hello and it's almost like I don't exist. I wont let her drag me to the other dog but I find it tough to get her looking at me during this situation, if I step in front of her she will attempt to look around me. Puppy mayhem?

I'll be picking up a nice long leash this weekend. The only time I can play fetch is at the dog park, my current leash is only 16 feet long (give or take), so fetch would be almost like dropping the ball at my feet. Other than that, I do take her rope on walks sometimes, or I will find a stick.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ordered a 50 foot leash. I figured go big or go home.

wish me luck. hope to have it by the end of this week so I can start training with it on the weekend :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Lexi is still a baby :) 7 months old I wouldn't expect her to have a fantastic recall or be working off leash... Unless you have been consistently training her and or working with a trainer.

I can't say enough about long lines and how great they are for training. 50 ft is going to give her a LOT of freedom lol.... I usually do no more than 30 feet :). and that is only for our long downs, sits, and recalls. Usually I like working with a 15' line if we are training.. Hey you could always have the 50' for fetch and park, etc, and a smaller 15' for working just around the apartment outside, etc.

Try doing some focus work outside with the distractions and set her up for success. Keep the focus sessions short, so she doesn't get too distracted and loose sight of what you guys should be doing. Try doing the "leave it" game with treats in ur hand.... Making her leave it and focus on ur eye contact before she can then "Take it". That worked really well for us. Scarlet used to want to go up to every single dog she saw and person and get pets or play. After she started to disregard me I decided I would not let the majority of people pet her or go meet other dogs when we were out for a walk. If another dog walked by and she wanted to see them I would put her in a sit, stay.. If she got up, (which was about a million times) I would say nothing, and put her back in the sit. She fought me on it every time, jumped up, jumped on me, barked and hollered to get away from me to go and see that dog!!! But, Once she got the message that she is not able to go over there, and started providing solid sits to me, I would let her go meet people if she sat properly and waited for my command. After a while it became routine for her to check in with me, offer me a look, I would command a sit and then we would walk over to the distraction. If I still didn't want her to go see someone and stay in heel I would say no, leave it and we would walk on... and she would ignore.

Try using treats, I know you said you faded the clicker, I did too at about 6 months old but i still continued with treats every now and then. Especially in high distraction areas, you need to reward with a high value treat.... wether it be food or a tug she loves!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
ordered a 50 foot leash. I figured go big or go home.

wish me luck. hope to have it by the end of this week so I can start training with it on the weekend :)
Ordered 50' leash Dave_L (????)
- all I ever used, is a thin braided universal nylon line / just pick up one at C/T or TSC...in Canada
Knot it to the dogs collar, your not going to need it...for long...and like $5.00

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm kind of skittish about that too. Having one dog that is a total runner would do that to someone. I don't think she would run as she never tries to escape when the front door is open but I have been burned with a chihuahua that I swear is trying to run to the border at every opportunity so we are very, VERY observant and consciencous about not having our dogs off lead. The only one we ever let off lead is our Eskie and only because we feel with 100 % certainty she will not run and has proven this over and over again. It's just not worth the risk. I will say our pup did something this week that shocked me in a great way. We were on our usual daily walk when we came upon a house that had not one but two loose dogs, the owner saw us walking and started screaming at his dogs to stay, they kind of started to charge towards us but stopped at the end of their driveway (thank goodness) but I was pretty calm and looked at Bella and told her to "down." She looked up at me and looked at them and dropped at a down position almost instantly. I was shocked. Normally I have to repeat that command atleast five times before I get that response but she just dropped. The man grabbed his dogs and commented on how well trained my dog was and he wished his dogs would listen like that (if only he knew how shocked I was too at her response). To say I was proud would be an understatement. I am very hopeful that someday we will be able to go offlead but I'm not rushing it as its not a priority and it's certainly not something I would do on a routine walk but it does give me hope to know that it will happen someday.

·
Registered
793 Posts
YES - LEXI is READY...more than YOU (I would guess)....and I say this sincerely, just need a little shift, in dog thinking.
I train puppy off-leash...before on-leash / "reverse dog training engineering", I coined it...LOL.
(BUT, its all in the prep. work fundimentals & true bonding...and I don't use bribe treats or clicker, so if that is your method...sorry I can't help today)

Dave - read my recent thread, this is after 11 years...all off-leash trained, personally by myself...from a 4.5 month old puppy:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberma...rement-home-reno-under-reno-dad-so-proud.html

KW is a good friend of mine...now read this puppy thread (just a recent example), and Diesel has the solid foundation...I look for:
http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-related-chat/67052-adventures-mountain-photo-bomb.html

Dobe Amy controlled off-leash, walking city streets..wmv
This video, could have been taken, 11 years ago / Amy was walking off-leash on city main street sidewalks & intersections at 6.5 months young:
Dobe Amy controlled off-leash, walking city streets..wmv - YouTube

P.S. - I once trained a dober (free for 1 hour) that was eating household drywall...had her loving the OB excerise and in control...before we finished.
- owner didn't realize her strengths, and she eventually accepted and happily worked with the different attention and clear expections...I asked for

Larry that video of Amy walking was priceless. Thanks so much for sharing. Beautiful!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I practiced in the dog park when no one was there, I also practiced at enclosed school yard during the weekend when school was out. I also used my regular leash and when there was another dog or something that caught Odin attention I would say "Odin come" and if he did not listen to me then I did a quick correction. I did not use a choke or prong, just regular collar. If that did not work then I would imitate another dog with my hand and do a correction on the back of his neck and that would snap him out of his hyper focus on whatever it was he was looking at. Once I got his attention I would walk backwards and say "come" and when he did I phrases heavily.

I never associated come with anything negative and now that Odin is 10 months old his recall is about 85% I am still having a hard time getting him to come when he is intently smelling something and he is off leash. We are still working on that.

when we are at the dog park and he is playing with a dog I can call him when its time to go and he will break play and come to me. If we are in an open field and there is another dog he will look but stay engaged with what we are doing and not run over to the other dog.

It helps that I have a release word, if there is another dog or person and he wants to say hi and we know the two I will keep him in a down position and and on my say I will say "go" and he will go say hi.

Reactions: Dave_L

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Arankin
I want her to have as much freedom as I can provide.

I did play the "leave it" game inside. I would have treats in my hand and move my hand around and made sure she was watching me and not my hand. I also placed food on the ground and asked her to walk past it without eating it and she was great at that.

The issue is outside distractions :)

I don't expect that much of her right now, but there has to be a time (given good training) that you start to trust them.

I only faded the clicker inside when I realized that she is obediant without it. I am using it outside now, being hopeful it will get me the same results.

I have started to do the same as you did when greeting other dogs, I'm still in the phase of getting her to relax and sit if she wants to greet other dogs. It's tough! lol

@Beaumont67
I figured when I get to the point of being mainly off leash that she will be runing a good distance from me, 50 feet is long no doubt, but I wanted to have as much room as possible for fetching a ball or frisbee or just working on distance.

@o0 sHaDoWoLf 0o
I will also be practising at the dog park. There is baseball diamonds and all kinds of nice large open and clean areas that I can work with. I figure I can spend 20 or 30 minutes with some training and then let her go play with the other dogs.

I have also made sure to be positive every time she returned to me. I am having the same issue with being distracted while smelling or eating something off the ground, and as I said, especially with other dogs around but I expect that.

I have been trying to get a soild release word but my girlfriend is making it tough, I have been training HER to do things a little more properly with Lexi as I started noticing that Lexi would release sometimes after I said "good girl". So I spoke to her about it and got her on the same page as me, which I thought she already was....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts