Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I get my new puppy Brandy about early January. I know NOT to let the Dobie lead when walking, how can you make them stay beside you to the left and not pull anywhere? I know YOU have to be the one that lets them go pee somewhere, but how can you do that exactly? Thanks! And how much does a little puppy (ten weeks) need to be walked or exercised a day? Thanks!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Brandy&Allison - congrats on your future puppy.

I never exercised my puppy much, on a street walk till more like 3-4 months old.
But I play with a new puppy for hours every day...on eye focus, command training & respected bonding.
Teaching with fun toy games - ball fetch / tug of war / soft bite - on my "A" list.
- see example here: http://www.dobermantalk.com/general-training-obedience/60146-teaching-your-dobe-catch.html

At 9-10 weeks old, I will sometimes let the puppy drag the leash on the ground, to get comfortable with it.
RE...how can you make them stay beside you to the left and not pull anywhere?
Initially, a puppy needs to learn, eye focus first & that your a fun person - this comes through much loving play.

I never use a leash for an at-home pee break.
I control my puppy, to stay put on our property, using my voice & praise.
- perimeter training also comes very easy then, from the off-leash puppy work, early on

·
Super Moderator
21,880 Posts
Check out this thread for some recommended books on dog training: http://www.dobermantalk.com/town-hall-topics/45438-new-improved-dt-list-recommended-books.html

I personally highly recommend picking up a copy of Pat Miller's book, "The Power of Positive Dog Training." In addition, "The Other End of the Leash," by Patricia McConnell, Jean Donaldson's "Culture Clash," and Karen Pryor's "Don't Shoot the Dog."

For great videos on how to train pretty much anything using positive methods, check out Kikopup's youtube channel: kikopup's Channel - YouTube

I would also recommend getting into a good puppy class. Look for trainers on the Association of Pet Dog Trainers' website: Dog Trainer Search. Take a look at their publication on how to choose a trainer, too: How to Choose a Dog Trainer

Reactions: Brandy&Melanie

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Hey! I get my new puppy Brandy about early January. I know NOT to let the Dobie lead when walking, how can you make them stay beside you to the left and not pull anywhere? I know YOU have to be the one that lets them go pee somewhere, but how can you do that exactly? Thanks! And how much does a little puppy (ten weeks) need to be walked or exercised a day? Thanks!
Ah, you're over thinking it :) Letting them pull will not result in world domination. It might be uncomfortable for your arms or hands thought and you migth now want them to pull. But honestly puppies aren't thinking about world domination or anything of the sort. They are just excited to get where they are going. Manners are good and a requirement but again it sounds like you are over thinking things.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
You have to learn the heel command, as previously mentioned.

First, you have to learn to walk before you can run. Always remember, for a pup, it has to be enjoyable and fun.

If possible find a nice field or wooded paths, with less distractions initially, Your the leader of the pack, so always want him to keep up with you, this is much easier with a smaller pup, because you can walk faster than him and he will want hopefully ,to keep close you. Over time, while using the heel command, start getting him closer to your leg. I often pat my leg as the same time as the command, later you can wean him from that.

WIth my pup, i use a longer leash, with hardly any tension on it, so he doesnt feel it, eventually you can apply tension when using the heel command, so he gets the idea that you want him closer. Like all training , do not be excessive with heeling, as it has to continue to be fun.
take it slow, youll be good to go.,

Reactions: Brandy&Melanie
1 - 7 of 7 Posts