Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I have a 6month old, very hyper, Dobe, we go out on long walks most nights (anything upto 5 miles) is this too far for a puppy/Junior? he doesn't seem to tire and then he'll chill out when we get home.
At the weekend I am walking Mam Tor and was going to take him, in total the walk is about 7.5 miles (Obvs up and down) would this be too far?
All advice taken on board.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just from what I've read, I believe that would be a bit excessive. My pup is coming up on 6 months, at the most I'll do a couple of miles, but usually it's around a mile, then i'll play ball with him. Walking doesn't seem to do much as far as wearing him out, if I can find a large area to toss a ball it'll zap him a lot faster.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Generally and especially if you have a hyper/extremely active dog as you seem to, dobermanns don't tire out from walks and walks generally are not much in terms of exercise for them. Sure, walks are important for them, but at that age they don't need to go very far and its a good opportunity to use them as a training exercise. Tug, playing fetch, chase, hide and seek and off leash exercise/running on soft surfaces is better at younger ages because it allows the dog to stop when they feel they've had enough whilst they're still growing. They also tire out more so when you do a lot of training sessions, if that's what you're after. ;)

I know my boy will not stop wanting to run and has boundless energy but is still growing and I have to monitor it -- a trainer told me he's unfortunately not the type of dog that will sit still -- lucky me(!).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Anzio

My Anzio is six months and a couple weeks. He get's off leash enclosed running workout activity(baseball fields etc) with soccer ball,tennis ball,and tug of war. That much walking seems excessive. They don't get the ya'yas out from a walk. You need to get them moving. It is amazing to watch his speed, power, and agility. I bet your dog will bust it out too. Best of luck to you guys and show pix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thank you everyone, he is off the lead when were out so running round and I do mentally train him while were home and out too, with sit/wait/lay/paw/highfive etc. hes a very clever persistent dog.

Thanks again for our words of wisdom :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Strife is 8 months now, and we won't walk him further than a couple miles. However, we go to the dog park every day during off hours and play with his chuckit for at least an hour every day. Plus he runs laps in our back yard.

I noticed one of the easiest ways thing wear him out is to get him the "work" for his ball. Usually it's:
Sit. Focus. Stay (as I walk back 20 feet). Stand. Come to me. Focus. Down. Then I throw it and he goes bonkers.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
A 5 mile walk on soft/wet grass with many stops might be ok but still a bit excessive. I wouldn't go over 5 miles. If you're on concrete I wouldn't go over a mile or so.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello, similar question here. I take Apollo for a walk everyday on a long leash so he can run / sniff / play etc. I do maybe a mile he probably does triple that. He also loves to climb up a certain hill, then run down it full speed on the dirt trail. We'll do this a bunch of times. It seems great for keeping his razor nails dull. He's 4 months old right now.

My question is, afterwards on the walk back he's always tired / hot / thirsty and lays down or I carry him the last 1/8th mile. I'm generally sweaty but ok, but should I treat this like more of a workout for him? I shortened the overall distance already. Also do you bring water on such short walks? This is all in landscaped suburbia on a nice multiuse run/bike paved trail with greenspace and plants, about 70' wide.

He takes a nap after we get back for a while and we usually walk for 20ish minutes in the evening.

I'm training for ironman / velodrome and was hoping to have a training partner for the running and maybe swimming portions, but after like 5 minutes in the pool he's worn out (which is great as far as managing him goes). I've tried running with him but he gasses out before I'm even breathing hard.

So overall should I develop a dog athlete plan or will he just naturally grow into it? (totally jealous of his natural bodyfat and veins already)

·
Squirrel Wrangler
144 Posts
My question is, afterwards on the walk back he's always tired / hot / thirsty and lays down or I carry him the last 1/8th mile. I'm generally sweaty but ok, but should I treat this like more of a workout for him? I shortened the overall distance already. Also do you bring water on such short walks?
If he's getting to the point where he needs to lay down and be carried, I would definitely dial it down some. Bringing water is never a bad idea. Whenever I see my boy panting we always stop to take a drink. You have to remember at 4 months he is very much still a baby, you can't compare him to yourself.

I'm training for ironman / velodrome and was hoping to have a training partner for the running and maybe swimming portions, but after like 5 minutes in the pool he's worn out (which is great as far as managing him goes). I've tried running with him but he gasses out before I'm even breathing hard.

So overall should I develop a dog athlete plan or will he just naturally grow into it? (totally jealous of his natural bodyfat and veins already)
Do NOT develop some kind of exercise plan for him. The general consensus is to avoid taking your pup for a run until their growth plates close, which is about 18 months. This kind of forced exercise can damage their joints and lead to further problems down the road. Once again, at 4 months he's still just a baby, he'll get more stamina as he grows older. I know it's hard to wait that long, my boy is only 10 months and one of the main reasons I chose a Doberman is for a running partner. So for now we just go to the dog park almost every day, play ball/ tug of war, and do off leash walks when we can. I would just be patient, before you know it you'll have an excellent workout partner!

·
Registered
318 Posts
The main thing is to stay off hard surfaces like pavement as this is most detrimental to growing (and even mature) bones due to the concussion associated with running on it. Stay on soft natural surfaces as much as possible and let them set the pace within reason. I am not winning any style awards but I have a wonderful, lifetime warranty fanny pack from wal mart for ten bucks. It has two water bottles and plenty of space for a small bowl, a ball, treats, phone maps etc and it is not overly bulky or uncomfortable at all. Even if it is not hot out they will enjoy a drink here and there. While walking isn't physically tiring for my pup, it is very mentally stimulating for him as we are in a somewhat urban area and I've found that wears him out.

I too mainly got my dog as a future hiking partner. The wait is worth it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts