Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 3.5 year old girl Ohce, came to us when she was 6 months old. She was owned by the breeders adult daughter and was returned to the breeder. Our other girl Echo came from the same breeder.
Ohce is the sweetest most adorable girl, but has always been anxious and fearful around new situations. Recently we have had a few disturbing situations with her. The girls snuggle with us in bed when we watch tv at night and come up again in the morning for snuggles. They sleep in the same room as we do, each has their own bed. Over the last week we have had about 3 or 4 instances of Ohce in the bed, she starts to REM sleep twitching etc and if she is touched she has woken up biting. Scary business 2 dobermans fighting in your bed. After the first incidence we have been putting a soft silicone muzzle on Ohce if they are going to be in the bed with us, so the last few instances have been harmless but still disturbing. We don't want to punish her, we know she doesn't realize what she is doing. Has anyone else ever had any experience with this? We took her to the vet and awaiting various tests to see if there is an underlying reason for this.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an aggressive red and rust (Cooper) that will growl and sometimes want to bite if disturbed while hes sleeping. Hes grown out of it more and more but his brother (Hudson) likes to come in and out of the bed a lot throughout the night and it bugs Cooper. He doesnt mean to be aggressive but for Cooper, once hes in bed and lights are out, its bed time.

He cant stand when myself or Hudson move around or get up too much and accidentally bump him while hes asleep. He snapped at me and hudson before. twice at me but I had to unfortunately discipline him those two times. He never snapped again but now, he just growls under his breath to make everyone aware that he is a cranky pants and we are annoying him. Lol

side note....(cooper happens to have hypothyroidism. Not sure if its related to the night time/sleep aggression. )

I never look for the monster under my bed because hes in the bed sleeping with me every night. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I don't allow my dogs on the bed at night, but sometimes in the middle of the day when taking a short nap, they can join me, but it is a privilege and they know that. Any jealousy or guarding or growling and they lose that privilege. They are very smart and they do know why they lost their privilege. If enough time has elapsed I may let them have one more chance, but if a rule is broken, they don't get another chance. Mean me.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply...interestingly enough hyperthyroidism is one of the tests we requested the vet do. I had a male Dobie years ago and he developed hyperthyroidism around the age of 3 and I did read that it can cause aggression. Hopefully we can get this resolved, I feel bad putting the muzzle on her and do my best to let her know she is still a good girl!

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Ask for a full thyroid panel, not just T3.

·
Super Moderator
15,368 Posts
I have an aggressive red and rust (Cooper) that will growl and sometimes want to bite if disturbed while hes sleeping. Hes grown out of it more and more but his brother (Hudson) likes to come in and out of the bed a lot throughout the night and it bugs Cooper. He doesnt mean to be aggressive but for Cooper, once hes in bed and lights are out, its bed time.

He cant stand when myself or Hudson move around or get up too much and accidentally bump him while hes asleep. He snapped at me and hudson before. twice at me but I had to unfortunately discipline him those two times. He never snapped again but now, he just growls under his breath to make everyone aware that he is a cranky pants and we are annoying him. Lol

side note....(cooper happens to have hypothyroidism. Not sure if its related to the night time/sleep aggression. )

I never look for the monster under my bed because hes in the bed sleeping with me every night. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Just my opinion but that's a dog I would be throwing off the bed really quick! I wouldn't tolerate that behavior with two males.

·
Super Moderator
21,257 Posts
Our 3.5 year old girl Ohce, came to us when she was 6 months old. She was owned by the breeders adult daughter and was returned to the breeder. Our other girl Echo came from the same breeder.
Ohce is the sweetest most adorable girl, but has always been anxious and fearful around new situations. Recently we have had a few disturbing situations with her. The girls snuggle with us in bed when we watch tv at night and come up again in the morning for snuggles. They sleep in the same room as we do, each has their own bed. Over the last week we have had about 3 or 4 instances of Ohce in the bed, she starts to REM sleep twitching etc and if she is touched she has woken up biting. Scary business 2 dobermans fighting in your bed. After the first incidence we have been putting a soft silicone muzzle on Ohce if they are going to be in the bed with us, so the last few instances have been harmless but still disturbing. We don't want to punish her, we know she doesn't realize what she is doing. Has anyone else ever had any experience with this? We took her to the vet and awaiting various tests to see if there is an underlying reason for this.
I'd do two things - one, full vet work up with blood panel, etc. So I'm glad you're doing that.

Second, I wouldn't have her in the bed anymore. Even if it's not intentional, you could end up with a bad situation. I'd definitely not have her in the bed while you're sleeping, and I'd probably work on training her to do her sleeping in a crate, or on a particular "bed" where she's left alone. It would really be to her benefit, as well as the other dog and your benefit, if she wasn't disturbed while sleeping. This could be a crate, an elevated cot like a Kuranda bed, etc. I'd be working on making sure that she's not disturbed when she's on it, so that she learns that sleeping there means she's not going to be bothered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts