Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Working Aptitude Evaluation or Working Aptitude Certification.

I've noticed this more and more when looking at breeders I am interested in. Firstly, are these different names for the same thing or are they separate titles? How do you guys feel about it? Is it important to you? Does it prove anything? What could be changed, updated, altered, improved?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hello:

I believe they are one and the same thing. I know that I want Hero to get this title and am planning on getting it around Halloween if the Tappan Zee club holds it like it was advertised in this last year's catalog. Yes, I believe it proves something. I take it to determine if our dobes' temperaments are spot on. I believe it also helps us to decide with breeding as well. A good breeder wants a dog with a great temperament or at least they should. Actually, I think this is one of the most important titles to earn.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I think it's a good starting point, but it's not the be all/end all... Basically it's an evaluation where they tell you if your dog COULD have the temperement to work. Passing doesn't necessarily mean you will be succesful, and failing doesn't necessary mean you won't be succesful. It's not something that is meant to be trained for, it's just meant to test your dogs natural instincts.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
It is a temperment test. The dog has to be at least 18 months of age to take it. You can read about it on the DPCA website. If you can find a club offering the test near you - it is fun to watch.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'd like to see a change where a dog can only be run through the WAE twice, rather than being able to take it over and over again until the dog lucks out and manages to pass.
Even better, they should make all results, pass or fail, mandatorily available in a public database.

As to the test itself, it's pretty good for what it is imo. I'm not sure if it "proves anything" but it is a very valuable learning tool. The main problem is that many people never really learn anything from the evaluation, for all different sorts of reasons. But the opportunity is there to learn about:

1. your skills as a handler
2. your dogs education/training/socialization
3. your dogs ability to handle stress

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hello:

I believe they are one and the same thing. I know that I want Hero to get this title and am planning on getting it around Halloween if the Tappan Zee club holds it like it was advertised in this last year's catalog. Yes, I believe it proves something. I take it to determine if our dobes' temperaments are spot on. I believe it also helps us to decide with breeding as well. A good breeder wants a dog with a great temperament or at least they should. Actually, I think this is one of the most important titles to earn.
There's bound to be a relatively local evaluation this year. If not Tappan Zee than the Tri-State Doberman Club or the Quaker City DPC.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Even better, they should make all results, pass or fail, mandatorily available in a public database.

As to the test itself, it's pretty good for what it is imo. I'm not sure if it "proves anything" but it is a very valuable learning tool. The main problem is that many people never really learn anything from the evaluation, for all different sorts of reasons. But the opportunity is there to learn about:

1. your skills as a handler
2. your dogs education/training/socialization
3. your dogs ability to handle stress
I am not sure how it relates to "your skills as a handler" - you hold on to the end of a six foot leash and are not allowed to give any kind of commands. Vader dragged me through it and I wasn't the only one hanging on.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I would consider it a "fun" test. Something to get out and do with your dog.

As far as it being a working evaluation, that would depend on your definition of work. There have been many good working dogs not pass for whatever reason. As have there been many dogs pass who would never make it in any work or bite sport.

I would never pay any attention to it in regards to looking at a pedigree. Yea it wouldn't be a bad thing. But chances are if a breeder is pushing that they have this title, they probably don't have anything better to brag about. It is not a breed suitability test nor a temperament test.

I will at some point probably do it with my boy, but just for the fun of getting out and doing it. Nothing more.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am not sure how it relates to "your skills as a handler" - you hold on to the end of a six foot leash and are not allowed to give any kind of commands. Vader dragged me through it and I wasn't the only one hanging on.
Is there anything you could do while youre at the testing site, or actions you could take during the test, that will increase the likehood of your dog passing?

Why did your dog drag you through it? Haven't you taught your dog to walk *with you* on a leash?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Is there anything you could do while youre at the testing site, or actions you could take during the test, that will increase the likehood of your dog passing?

Why did your dog drag you through it? Haven't you taught your dog to walk *with you* on a leash?
this test is supposed to specifically exclude any handler input... You basically don't do anything except hold the leash, and the dog does whatever he does. You don't give commands, corrections, or anything like that. It's supposed to test your dogs natural instincts, not learned/trained behaviors. Training, or giving any input during or before the tests makes the whole thing worthless.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts

They want to see a raw dog.....one who hasn't been trained to pass it. Training for the wae negates the results imo.

The test is "all about the dog" and obedience heeling or other trained behavior I believe muddies things. If you do give commands you are penalized, that includes leash pops.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts

Yes. He knows how to walk on a loose leash. But you are told not to give any command at all. If you give any commands you fail. At least that's how it was when we went through it. I watch many very well trained obedience dogs drag their owners through. It is to test the raw dog not a trained one.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes. He knows how to walk on a loose leash. But you are told not to give any command at all. If you give any commands you fail. At least that's how it was when we went through it. I watch many very well trained obedience dogs drag their owners through. It is to test the raw dog not a trained one.
Do you have to command your dog to walk on a loose leash?

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Yes. Let's go. He also knows how to heel with attention. Although when we go hiking he's on a flexi and he's allowed to wander. Just not pull. He is currently training rally and agility

·
Registered
204 Posts
A bunch of people responded to the post that contained this question:

But none of the posters gave any serious thought or consideration to the question! You guys are just trying to inform me about the rules of the evaluation.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes. Let's go. He also knows how to heel with attention. Although when we go hiking he's on a flexi and he's allowed to wander. Just not pull. He is currently training rally and agility
So why do you think he pulled you through the evaluation?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Actually, Vic Monteleon, who created the WAE felt A LOT of the dogs who failed did so due to handler errors. Nerves go right down the leash, and can affect a dog's response. So can jerking on the leash at the wrong time, etc. People also tend to talk to their dogs at the wrong time, and wind up distracting it rather than encouraging it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts